Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 65 XP Falcon sedan build. Yeah, its a 4 door, coupes are expensive here!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Liam-B, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Really nice old girl. XP's look great no matter how many doors. You're doing a ton of work on it. I've subscribed!

2. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

thanks mate, yeah done a fair bit of work trying to get it right. Thinking a rusty coupe might be the next project once this is all done now I am all set up with rust repair equipment :)

3. ausbuick

ausbuick

Found ya Hahahaha.

4. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

Nice to meet you tonight and thanks again for the heater!

PS, the Buick is cool as, never really had a good proper look at one of those before, quite a rare car indeed :)

5. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

Quick update. Been a bit busy last couple of weekends chasing parts, I managed to find a factory 2 speed heater box (wow luxury!) and a later model Falcon 1970 XY 20:1 steering box for the V8 conversion, as the 65 XP box is a slow 27:1 ratio. Also scored a reconditioned and re-chromed dash surround which was a good deal.

I am currently rebuilding the heater box at work in my spare time, it needs a paint and I have put new foam inside. Motor works great and heater core is leak free. will get some pictures up soon of that.

But got the LH side front fender removed today. It actually been off before and someones already welded a patch in long ago but anyway, going to have to get busy here now!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have ordered another couple of complete sill's from Craig Vane rust a problem. I am actually thinking about redoing the drivers side as I am not 100% happy with the outcome. Will see how the passengers side comes out first though!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  6. ausbuick

ausbuick

Ouch Liam.... Good to see some progress.
    Cheers Darren

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

Yeah, its not too bad, could be a lot worse eh Darren? Just need to get involved next week and hack all the rust out bit by bit, weld some new metal in and hopefully sorted!

ps, heaters coming along nicely thanks, it just needs new foam and a paint :)

8. ausbuick

ausbuick

Nothing out of the ordinary for early falcons mate, at least your doing it right.

9. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

Decided to bite the bullet and cut the rust/A-pillar/entire LH sill out today. Made a brace for the bottom of the A-pillar, seeing as I chopped most of it out! I will fold up some new box sections and then start re-welding it all back together tomorrow. I have definitely decided to replace the whole RH drivers side sill once I finish this LH side now.

Also thinking about pulling the front and rear screens and sending it off for a complete new paint job, seeing as its pretty much a bare shell now :lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. ausbuick

ausbuick

Fun fun fun Liam
    Cheers Darren

11. Where's all the rules Nazis, it's a '65?

12. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

I can't drive '65? :D

13. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

No problem. Just list the year in metric. None of us are smart enough to figure it out!:p Still wish I could find a pair of fender emblems like yours state side.

14. ausbuick

ausbuick

Haha that's too funny

15. 289xp

289xp

16. 289xp

289xp

17. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

18. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

If I come across some I will post them over for you, they are pretty common

19. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Just rename it an XM and you will be safe...

20. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

Im looking for a XM Ute at the moment, been on the hunt for 6 months now!

21. big vic

big vic
    from cary il

i love it nice job

22. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

Well, things have been slow going last couple of weekends, I had to do some work on the house instead of the Falcon but anyway making steady progress and its been quite time consuming making the front sill section.

Using left a leftover section from the sill I had bought to patch the RH side, I basically reshaped a piece to match the old rusty front section, which I removed by drilling out all the spot welds and then welding that rusty section back together, so I then had a mold to copy while refolding the new replacement section.

[​IMG]

plug welded back in :

[​IMG]

I have got the sill sitting in nicely along the top,I drilled out all the factory spot welds around the bottom of the B & C pillars and the new sill fits snug.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I then had to hang both the passenger side doors back on, man that was a mission to do by myself! Anyway, once the doors were back on the car I realised how far the panel gaps were out on that side compared to the drivers side, so spent some time realigning the doors properly.

[​IMG]

Of course, the new sill is just screwed into place at the moment before I start welding it in, I need to align it a little more around the front door area... One thing though, I am not so sure on the bottom of the sill, there is quite a gap and I need to stretch it down to make it meet the bottom where Im going to plug weld it.

[​IMG]

I think if I can stretch it a bit more and clamp, then weld, it should be ok and at least look better/ closer to original from underneath.

Looking forward to getting some paint on this side and moving onto the next rust step, that would be the LH front door, you can see its got a bit of rust coming through as well. some one has braze welded a patch in there before, must have been a long time ago looking at the age of it. Oh and the rear dog leg is kinda missing, so will need to fab that up as well lol.

Also, got my Windsor C4 auto in at work at the moment, giving it bit of a freshen up in my spare time during the day with new seals and gaskets. Nothing worse than a leaky transmission! It actually seems pretty good, oil is nice and clean and everything appears to be fine. Gave it a steam clean on friday night, that made a huge difference to appearance! Going to start painting up the 302 Windsor after that, I've already rebuild the Holley carby and starter motor for it and have a new water pump, fuel pump and dress kit to tidy it all up. Its going to look excellent

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  23. ausbuick

ausbuick

Good work bro

24. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

Made some decent progress today, pretty happy how good it all came out but its been quite labor intensive trying to get it looking close to factory appearance...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On to the rear dog leg and end of sill section next! Can get some hi fill primer on and paint the whole lot after that.

25. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

Cool little car... Always liked the Aussie styling. Get yourself some good zinc weld thru primer. If you do more welding, you can coat inside and out before patching.
    Been looking and looking at pics trying to pinpoint what the rear reminded me of, then I got it. Striking resemblance to a 63 Galaxie....

26. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

Thanks mate, yeah been coating everything with weld thru zinc primer before mig welding :)

27. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

egg-sell-ant

28. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some nice well thought out work, can tell this will be a damn nice car when you get it done!
    Where in Melb are you Liam? You may know my little sister Sophie, she gets around in a pink and black XL Falcon 4 door.

Doc.

29. ausbuick

ausbuick

Weld grind weld grind. Nice work mate looks factory as..
    Cheers Darren

30. Super SWEET ! restored my grandmothers 65 few years ago, but went a little farther and had it dipped. See Album.

lots of work, but the steering wheel is on the wrong side ? LOL

like it !