Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 65 El Camino

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dangerous Dan, Dec 5, 2022.

1. Dangerous Dan

Dangerous Dan

Just bought a new toy. Question, How do I go about removing the dash pad on a 65 El Camino. Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

BILL LUPIANO likes this.
  2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

There are several studs on the underside of the dash cover. You'll have to go under the dash and find each nut and stud. After removal of all nuts the pad will lift off.

Been many years since I did my 64 but if remember correctly??? The dash cluster and glove box may be an issue for access to the nuts. Be prepared for more work.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
    Tickety Boo and Bob Lowry like this.
  3. Johnny is correct, the glove box and the entire gauge panel all need to come out first. The pad is held on with stamped steel nuts, then it lifts up and towards you. Not the funnest job but not impossible.

Tickety Boo likes this.
  4. hepme

hepme

yep, it's a pita job--glove box out, dash cluster out, nuts on the bottom of the pad sticking down, everything hard to get to. I've done it once, and now have to do it again to replace a cracked pad on mine.

5. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

but, it looks nice

6. BILL LUPIANO

BILL LUPIANO
    BANNED
    from Canada

From one Camino owner to another,very nice Dan,congrats!

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Not that hard. Then again I've pulled a lot of dash's apart. I pulled mine because I painted the dash so everything had to came out anyway's.

8. X-cpe

X-cpe

It doesn't have to be hard to be a pain in the ass.

9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Here’s pain in the ass. Tearing down the top end of steering column just to be able to pull the cluster. 74CA83CB-F229-46B1-9793-712CF6B360D0.jpeg

Gasser 57 likes this.