Register now to get rid of these ads!

65 C-10 V8/th350 swap questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SARGE81, Jun 14, 2009.

1. SARGE81

SARGE81
    from seattle

Converting from 230/3 speed, what is involved in doing this swap? I've heard some people move the motor mounts foreward one hole but why? I've seen one with the mounts still in the stock location with a small block. I've got a crossmember from CPP for the tranny but what happens to the existing 3 speed crossmember and the e-brake mounts? I have everything out right now and just want to know what to expect so I'm putting the motor and trans in only once! Thanks!

2. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

check out www.67-72chevytrucks.com they have a section dedicated to the mid 60's and i'm sure you could find any and all answers to questions you may have.

3. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

I'm afraid this is pretty off topic for this board. Post the questions over at 67-72chevytrucks.com and I will answer them and any more you have. My name over there is Tx Firefighter.

4. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

the 3 speed shouldn't have a crossmember. those trucks should have one for the bell housing and it is rivited in place. it can be removed. i never install v8's ony take them out but i know the original 230 mount positions will work. you will need to get a v8 rad which will be mounted closer to the engine, it's wider than the inline rad. the aftermarket ones come with cooling for your automatic. if you truck has a prop shaft e brake i don't think you can use it on the automatic. might need to convert over to the under dash handle that goes to rear brakes. you'll need cables and handle and hardware. i would expect a lot of work for a few more rpm's and little higher top speed.