Register now to get rid of these ads!

64 lincoln build custom

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jessie.bor, Jul 25, 2010.

1. jessie.bor

jessie.bor

so i recently started a new business me a 3 friends. its called Jessie's Custom Shop. here is a 64 lincoln we are starting on. first the suspension the paint then interior and chrome. hope you enjoy and please comment i need it for my self esteem. hahaha just kidding.... but really.

ok enough of that here the car how we got it already racked on the lift and rear suspension out went super smooth which is why there are no photos no break time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

heres all the crap i took out

[​IMG]

here the rear gutted
    [​IMG]

link bars in stock leaf hangers which we reinforced i will have better pictures tomorrow it got to dark in the shop

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here is the bottom bars in an tacked up. its dark i know better photos tomorrow

[​IMG]

thats about all we got done when i could still take decent pictures. after it got dark we did finish welds on the lower bars. the made the lower two link stabilizers to stop the pinion angle from changing. tomorrow finish the rear and start pluming the stuff in the trunk so it can move around in the shop. the on to the front. more pictures tomorrrow.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  2. Wolfman1

Wolfman1

Looks like you're off to good start.
    My dad's in the middle of a rotisserie restoration/mild custom on a 62 vert, these 60's
    Lincolns are a challenge at best.
    I take it you're bagging it all around. Have you seen the Mobsteel set-up, they look
    pretty sweet.
    Have you figured out what you're doing for wheels ?
    Are you going to tunnel the car or just limit how low she can go ?
    Don't throw anything out , nobody is reproducing much of anything.

3. 64 Linc

64 Linc
    from Vegas

Hey, that car looks familiar! Looks good so far.

4. jessie.bor

jessie.bor

got alot done today pictures are better than words so here they are...

it layed out but lift still under it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    two link tacked in
    [​IMG]
    rear two link tabs and bars
    [​IMG]
    front mounst tacked
    [​IMG]
    cutting out for drive shaft tunnel
    [​IMG]

it got to dark again to take pictures with the tabs and bars fully welded and in.

bag mounts and pluming tomorrow then off to the front end.

5. jessie.bor

jessie.bor

thats cause its yours!

6. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

^^^????^^^
    Dude, could you explain that please? I tried hard to fiugure it out but i always get to the same conclusion, doesnt the shorter bar stop the longer
    one from pivoting? From the tacks it looks like everything will be welded solid....

7. jessie.bor

jessie.bor

That's exactly what we are doing. Its a 2 link so that's how we stop it from pivoting. Thus stopping the pinion angle from changing. We still have to make drag link to stop the side to side.

8. VenomousType

VenomousType
    from Atlanta GA

i miss my old 64 linc..

9. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

so why the bushes if there is no relative movement? is it to allow some compliance for body roll? havent seen that done before and wondered what the theory behind it is.

10. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Sorry if i keep on w/ this, i dont want to discredit you work, im just still not gettin it.
    Isnt the 2 link made by 2 trailing arms (what i thought was pictured) and a (horizontal)
    panhard bar?
    I thought the 2 trailin' arms had to be pivoting, just like in a 4 link....otherwise the
    suspension would be rigid? or am i gettin something wrong here?

11. jessie.bor

jessie.bor

first off its not finished, so please allow me to finish the rear before you try and figure out how its not going to work... cause it does and it will.

a 2 link is very simple, but works great and rides great. it consists of two bars, like trailing arms and a panhard or draglink. the front bushings that we put on the lower bars still pivots allowing the rearend to move up and down. the rear lower bushing attaches to the rear end like were going to make a 4 link. then to stop it from pivoting since we are not making a 4 link we added another bar up and back from the lower bushing to stop the rear end from rolling front to back. we used bushings because welding the bars strait to the frame would look bad and not hold up.

i think the problem here is that you guys are looking at the rear bushings like they are suppose to move but they don't. only the front bushings pivots.

yes we still have to make a panhard bar or drag link. its just a name difference there, but its just another link bar that stops side to side.

we are going for a simple 2 link setup on this car to achieve a great ride and great handling. i know its a big car but less body roll is always better.

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not to nit-pick, but:

A drag link goes between a pitman arm and a steering knuckle, or tie rod.

A panhard bar goes between a chassis/frame and an axle.

To very different functions, not just a name difference.

13. jessie.bor

jessie.bor

and a drag link on a rear suspension setup goes between two bars to adjust the rear end. so on nascar you can make those left hand turns better by cocking the rear end to one side.

14. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

Thats cool your doing a build for a guy that is also on here. He and everyone else can see the work and if something looks suspect at least you have many people around that can catch it or possibly help you with ways to solve problems. Good lock with your new shop and it looks good so far.

15. 64 Linc

64 Linc
    from Vegas

Well, just to clear everything up. I'm having Matt and Jessie do my car because of experience, but at the same time, I am a technician with mad experience myself, just not in old cars. But, when discussing theory of suspension and whatnot we put our heads together and just think of innovative ways to get results. Between the 3 of us we have crazy experience in customs, rods, mini-trucks, full-blown racecars i.e. endurance racing machines that MUST work for long periods of time. The list just goes on and on. So, when I got this car I was stoked to know guys who have a similar mentality and old skool experience! You'll trip on the result...trust me!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  16. jessie.bor

jessie.bor

17. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

I would expect you will get some diff wrap due to compression of the bushes, but it will be minimal, and your idea may well have some NVH advantages, and allow some twisting for angled driveway approaches,etc....similar to the way the original leafs are encased in a big rubber bush. interested to see how you fit the panhard bar in. good stuff .

18. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

Ok, i see, i thought the 2 link, ike the 3 link and the 4 link,pivoted both sides of the bars.....
    Intrested in seeing it done. The theory about less body roll is intresting and i can see many reasons to that, i might think of something similar when its the time to redo my rear bars.

19. Joe G

Joe G
    from Minnesota

Did you guys get the front springs out yet? Those things can be real killers. They're about what you would expect to find in a 3/4 ton truck.

20. jessie.bor

jessie.bor

well with the bag mounts now off of the bars instead of off the rear of the axle, we should have tons of room off the back of the rearend to the "frame"(i say that cause its a uni-body) to mount the panhard bar.

nope not yet unfortunately its taking quite longer than we had hoped to get the rear done. mainly cause the plasma cutter was down until today, which is how we got so much done tonight in only 2 hours.

21. i mean as biger the stock springs are, as easyer is it to put it a airride in it. What i also experienced is that everone told me i need 8 or at least 7 bags for my 53 lincoln. Thats not true i have 6 in it and it drives great.

22. jessie.bor

jessie.bor

we have gooten a lot done in the lst few weeks on the lincoln, but been to busy to post the pictures. here are a few of what it looked like today at the end of the day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thanks in advance for the replies.

23. Dr.Slam_Jessies_Customs

Dr.Slam_Jessies_Customs
    from Las Vegas

its going to be gangster drew just needs to buy a tommy gun and he will be set

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  24. Dr.Slam_Jessies_Customs

Dr.Slam_Jessies_Customs
    from Las Vegas

here is some pics i took on my phone
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

that rear setup aint gonna cut it, sorry.......bars are too short and not strong enough.....if ya wanted a 2 link, shoulda just did truck arm kinda setup.......and there isn`t a drag link in the rear of no damn stock car, there is only a panhard bar that has an adjustment for height.......along with truck arms.........the rear of your won`t have any articulation......and really u need it, only speaking from past mistakes.......

26. jessie.bor

jessie.bor

Haha just amazing how you can determin all of that by a few photos. The rear bars are over three feet long if thats not long enough then I dont know what is.

O AND BY THE WAY IT WORKS AMAZINGLY WELL

Think outside the box the world is to great for just following the pack

27. elricho

elricho

Thats gonna be one cool Linc-are you staying with the 430???
    I stuffed a 460 into a 61 not long ago-man did it sound tuff!!

28. jessie.bor

jessie.bor

Wow I bet it did, yeah he is sticking with the 430 it runs great justleaks some oil. But we are fixing that too

29. elricho

elricho

Yeah-should have kept that one!!![​IMG]

30. Dr.Slam_Jessies_Customs

Dr.Slam_Jessies_Customs
    from Las Vegas

think you might need to get your keyboard cleaned think there is some spunk under the period key looks like it was sticking when you were typing.