Register now to get rid of these ads!

64 galaxie 390 trans... what is it... c-6?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by str8axleford, Oct 20, 2007.

1. str8axleford

str8axleford

I got a 390 with a stock tranny, low original miles on motor and trans... looking to sell the trans, but I need to know what it is... is it a c-6? or a fordomatic? It is a 3 speed, been sitting for 20 years, I am building the engine for my 55, and selling the 390 out of it, but like I said.. I need to know what it is... my dad can't remember... does anyone know? Any info would help.. thanks, Gary

2. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

It should be a Cruise O Matic

3. Well if my Memory is worth beans C-6 didn't start until 1966. That really don't mean much since they are a direct replacement for the Cruz-o-matic. (Ford-o-matic is a 2 speed for Y-Block) The way to tell them apart by looking at them is the Cruzo has a Cast Iron bell housing bolted to a Cast Iron gear box and a bolt on tail shaft housing. The C-6 is a one piece gear box and bell housing in Alumn. with a bolt on tailshaft housing. So basicly 3 parts or 2 parts from the outside.
    The Wizzard

4. fordy7coupe

fordy7coupe
    from Wylie, TX

<BIG>The last digit on the VIN plate is the tranny...</BIG>
    <BIG></BIG>
    <BIG>1964 Galaxie VIN Plate </BIG>
    TRANSMISSION
    <TABLE border=1><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>Code</TD><TD>Type</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>1</TD><TD>3-Speed Manual-Shift</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>2</TD><TD>Overdrive</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>4</TD><TD>Cruise-O-Matic</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>5</TD><TD>4-Speed Manual-Shift</TD></TR><TR><TD align=middle>6</TD><TD>C-4 Automatic Dual Range</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

5. str8axleford

str8axleford

Thankyou for your input... I really appreciate it... Gary