Register now to get rid of these ads!

64 ford galaxie, trunk lock same as glove box?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by touchdowntodd, Apr 4, 2009.

1. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

yup, lost my keys...

anyways, is it the same? i would rather take my glove box lock out and go to a locksmith rather than tear out my now locked trunk lock to replace it...

thanks...

2. Yes, the glove box key is the same as the trunk key on Ford. Ford did that for all theie vehicles from the 50's, 60's and 70's.
    George

3. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

how hard is it to replace the ignition without the key?

4. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

ttt... any help on gettin the ignition out without a key?

screwdriver? haha... another small key? whats best?

5. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

Ignition should be the same as door locks, unless one or the other has been changed out over the years. If you remember them being the same it would be easier to remove a door lock and have a key made.

One of my 64's has a seperate key for ignition, trunk, door, and glove box. Somebody must have had to change the external locks at some point in time.

6. a4278v

a4278v

sorry to say that the only way I have gotten the switch out of the dash with no key is to drill the cylinder out[ you should already have a replacement cylinder so you can see how far to drill]

7. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

yeah i have the replacement...

i wsa considering taking a door lock out... however.. my doors have never properly locked.. im assuming its beccause of the locks? i really need to get a door skin off and check it out... maybe they were put in after paint and ever connected right? sounds like a dumbass move, but ya never know! if this is the case, i can take one out, get a key made, and then fix the other..

but, i doubt it..

either way, i will have locking doors by the time this is done, and thats a bonus!

8. synchro7

synchro7

The ign/door code should be on the right door lock. Providing one or the other hasn't been changed.

9. Magnus

Magnus
    from Sweden

Don't drill, check out the http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/ and do a search of how to get the cylinder out. It's there somewhere

10. david j smith

david j smith

I bought a 59 ford without keys. I took the glove box lock to a locksmith to cut a trunk key. He told me that the glove box uses less tumblers than the trunk so he couldn't cut a key from the glove box. I don't know if a 64 is the same way. Thanks

11. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

UPDATE!!!!!!

crazy as hell and i never went to look... BUT, my owners manual still has the "ford registered owner plan" page in it... so i have the key codes!

if all works out, and they arent changed, I will have keys ASAP!!!

thanks!