Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 64 Chevy questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ricko1966, May 4, 2017.

1. ricko1966

ricko1966

Hello I am new to this forum I hope and think I have come to the right place.All the other forums I have joined it seems like any car I am working on the only advice I get is buy this buy that,sell it and buy a finished car etc. . I want to build my stuff,I want to be able to say I did it myself,and sometimes it's just finances I am a single dad, I have mortgage,a son in braces,and I don't make a lot of money , Back to the chevelle I have a 1964 Malibu in decent shape I have a 454 out of a p chassis chevrolet and I have a 3 speed saginaw out of a 71 malibu. What are the disadvantages of setting the 454 down on small block frame brackets? Are there any 4speed shifters I can bolt on the 3 speed Saginaw,so I don't have to buy another shifter when I go 4speed. Will a pchassis oil pan work in the chevelle. Will the p chassis exhaust manifolds work until I can afford headers? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Welcome to the forum!

Change title to 64 Chevy Nova

Someone will wind up reporting you as post 64

3. squirrel

squirrel

or 64 Chevelle.

The truck pan might have problems fitting in the car chassis. The manifolds might work or might not...we don't know what they look like, how about some pics?

should be able to use a 4 speed shifter for a Saginaw on a 3 speed saginaw, but that means you'd need to find a Saginaw 4 speed when you want to switch them out. A universal 3 speed shifter should be available used for cheap if you scrounge the swap meets etc.

the small block mounts should work, afaik

4. First off '66 is a little new for the site, but welcome anyway.

Now for your questions, I am not sure what a P chassis is, but if it is a rear sump pan it should work fine. Your chassis mounts are the same big block or small block, just get the right mounts for your block to mount to your chassis mounts.

The Sag 3 speed is going to be a little light for your big block, but if you are careful and it is in good shape you can run it. if it is a 3 speed car just run the stock linkage until your wallet is ready for a change. if not I have run 4speed linkage on a 3 speed and it is not optimal, buy a cheap Hurst to get you by until you are ready for a change then sell the hurst for what you paid for it.

I can't answer on the exhaust manifolds but GM put big blocks in those so you could just find an old set if yours don't work.

Enjoy your car man.

Benno

5. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Some guys are going to start whining and saying that it's only pre 65 on this site. True, but it's "Chicken Little" talk. The sky is not going to fall. Anyways. You do want big block mounts and you don't want to bolt that 3 speed to the 454. The 3 speed is too weak..The car and truck shop of Orange has plenty of parts for your Chevelle. I bought some parts from them for my 64 El Camino and for my 51 AD truck.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Step van.

7. Thanks

8. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Pan won't work if it has the long sump that extends forward. The truck pan was 6 qt with filter and the sump hits the cross member. If it's the 5 qt it may work, depending on year. The 3 spd will work but you might need a couple of spares, and the sag 4 spd isn't much better, me and a friend tore them up for a past time. A good muncie is pretty pricey when you can find one. Use BBC mounts. Take your time and do it right the first time. I couldn't tell you how much money I've wasted by getting in a hurry.

dan c likes this.
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

There is a reason they put M-22's behind 454's!

jcmarz likes this.
  10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The IFS P chassis has a pretty large crossmember under the engine. That would likely mean that it will clear the one in the Malibu, although I cannot say for sure. Pans are out there, and not crazy expensive.

Get the proper mounts. They are not hard to find, and also not crazy expensive.

I doubt that you will be happy with the 3-speed. After the 454 has its way with it, there might not be much left.

Is the car already set up for a manual transmission?

11. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

A 454 in a 64 Chevelle without spending any money on better springs, steering, shocks, differential, tires or brakes. What could go wrong?

12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]

13. Be sure to use a flywheel designed for the externally balanced 454.
    Learned at Carlisle this year that all pilot bushings aren't equal. Quality ones are brass, magnets will not stick to 'em. The cheap ones are a steel/brass alloy. NFG.

14. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

I'm gonna say he'll work on those items as well. He's got a kid ...
    Hi, Rick, welcome, & yer gonna love us ....

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

*Oilite bronze.

chevy57dude likes this.