Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 64 Chevy C10 Truck- automatic column shifter rattles like crazy. Any ideas on how to fix it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fordor Ron, Feb 20, 2018.

1. E57976BB-A0A7-4082-BDD0-72F6B539F97A.jpeg 5C906F64-37CF-4C6E-BCAF-E769A67BEDB1.jpeg

So the automatic column in my 64 C10 rattles like crazy from the shifter arm. Like every time you hit a bump the shifter bounces up and down. I pulled the shifter arm out and stretched the little spring out inside which helped some but not enough to stop it.

Any ideas on how to tighten the shifter up?

Thanks in advance.

-Ron

2. squirrel

squirrel

Hard to say, for sure. The column appears to be a tilt column from a later truck or van, and it's possible that the linkage is not quite like it should be--does it have an equalizer rod from the frame to the transmission? or is the linkage arm connected directly to the lever on the transmission? if you don't understand what I mean, take a picture of the linkage at the transmission, so I can see what it looks like.

I'm guessing that the linkage is not connected the way that Chevy originally did on column shift trucks. If so, it will move the linkage on bumps, and cause rattling in the column.

But I could be wrong, maybe it's just loose parts rattling around.

3. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Henry, my old buddy and radiator repairman, would tell you to turn the radio up.

4. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What Jim said. If it is hooked direct form the column to the trans and the mounts are a bit worn this can happen on bumps etc. Check the rear trans mount

tractorguy likes this.

5. As squirrel stated you need a Z bar between the frame and transmission. and then the shift rod from the collum attaches to the Z bar. If your have a solid rod from the collum to the trans. every time the engine torques the shift linkage will need to move. and the collum don't move so it transmits to the shift lever.

tractorguy likes this.
  6. Look for missing bushings in the linkage.

olscrounger likes this.
  7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I put a fairly hot 350 in my 66 Suburban (new motor mounts) and a turbo 350 with urethane trans. mount, I also put a tilt column in it out of a 72 Chevy p.u. at the same time, took out the oem intermediate pivot for the powerglide, also installed a Kugel shift lever kit that uses a solid rod with rod ends, never had any of the issues mentioned.

olscrounger likes this.
  8. I checked the linkage but it didn’t appear to be a problem. But, I’m thinking of adding a spring to the linkage and see if the tension helps quiet it down. If it does then I guess I have my answer.

9. Just a quick update for those following this thread.

I wound up attaching a medium stiff spring to the bottom of the column linkage and fabbing up a small bracket that bolts to the engine. Once there was a bit of resistance everything quieted down.

It’s actually pretty amazing how well it worked. The noise is literally gone now.

Just FYI for someone else who may have the same issue.

10. BJR

BJR

How about a picture of your fix?