Register now to get rid of these ads!

64 c10 build.. finally!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jdeshler, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

so after i read how to install my power steering and 86 front crossmember disc brake swap from the hamb on my 64 i figured the least i could do is throw some pics up of the ol backyard, motors hangin from tree limbs and cussin fire ants build! i think this is more of an obsession than a hobby at this point so be warned haha!!

here she is as i found her back in 2010 after sittin under a pine tree for 6 years, took me about 45 minutes to get the hood freed and workin!!
    [​IMG]

this is the 1 hour trip home with my precious haha! this guy had me chewin nails the way he was flyin up on people and stopping.. trust me the only reason he had it was because my trailer wasnt wide enough!!>:/
    [​IMG]

when i got it home it took all of 6 hours to have everything ripped apart, EVERYTHING.. still puttin her back together 2 years later! beside it is the 65 cab donor i found that next week for 400$$!!!
    [​IMG]

few more of me rippin her apart
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and this is why i had to buy the donor:( not enough diggin and pokin can bite u on an old chevy.. luckily the donor looked like it came from arizona!!
    [​IMG]
    90% of the truck was bondo'd and fiberglassed!! errr
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    my mug!!
    [​IMG]
    heres how she sat for 2 years haha.. dont ask..
    [​IMG]
    new cab in the tree lol..
    [​IMG]
    donor clip.. didnt use..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    more pics of the motor tranny and brakes soon as i can snap some shots

2. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

sorry for the huge pics yall, thought i had photobucket set up right..

3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, pics too big. but, Cool project.

4. luapsed

luapsed
    from Fords, NJ

Love the cab hanging from a tree...makes for a nice bird house. Love the truck and the pics look great.

5. LostHope

LostHope

Right on another c10! I am on my 3rd 60-66 truck, I have become addicted to them also! Nice looking truck and donor truck ! Make sure to keep taking and posting photos..

6. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

thanks joker.. shes comin along
    lol, luapsed desperate times, desperate measures!! the redneck within i guess!!
    lost hope, ill b with yall to the end!! no half threads..

this is the one that got me addicted to these beautiful chevys!! lost her when my cousins caught my grandfathers 100 year old barn on fire.. it was about 3 years ago and i still have withdrawals over that girl..:(
    [​IMG]

7. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

350/350.. cammed aluminum intake 4 bbl holey.. strong shift kit in tranny rebuilt 2 months prior, installed 373 posi 2 weeks before she burned.. took me a year to track it and 500$ to get the rear.. mostly new wiring.. wish i had a pic of the console i made for her, tucked under factory radio.. fit my cd player, speakers and 2 cups.. lost some of my soul that day but im rebuildin whats left with this 64!:)

8. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

cool man. diggin the build. keep up the good work

9. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

here is the 80's crossmember bolted directly to the 64 frame. the only problem was that 2 bolt holes had to be redrilled and 2 more oblonged.. 20 years, same parts.. LOVE me some chevy!!
    [​IMG]

10. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

thats my 55 ih tractor i drove out of the scrap yard btw!!

11. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

12. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

Still waitin on the por 15! But here are a few I the problems with the crossmember.. This hole has to be completely Redrilled
    [​IMG]
    This one needs to be oblonged a little..
    [​IMG]
    And finally the 80's motormounts are a little tall for the frame..
    [​IMG]
    I'll post up all the fixes soon as I get a chance to get back to the ol girl

13. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

Heres the transplant 283! I'm honna scrub it up before it goes in.
    [​IMG]
    And of course the 3 speed..
    [​IMG]
    The cab almost cleaned up.
    [​IMG]
    This is another fellow hamb'ers truck but close to my goal!! BEAUTIFUL btw!
    [​IMG]

14. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

A shot of me matching the 250 bellhousing/ clutch to the old 49 stovebolt tranny.. Iv put 20+ years newer parts on the 64 and the 49.. The 250 came outta the 64..
    [​IMG]

15. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

[​IMG]
    got a little more paint on the ol gal.
    [​IMG]
    sand, pop the rag, repeat haha

16. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

got the motor in today with a little help from the ol yard truck..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

here it is all nesseled in! still got a loooong way to go..
    [​IMG]

17. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

shot of my duallys.. i know, im torn between chevy and ford!! 7.3 or nothin baby..
    [​IMG]

18. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

That's my baby right there y'all!!
    [​IMG]

19. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

love those years Chevy trucks, good luck, keep us posted with pics

20. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

12 valve cummins is a real mans motor...... :D haha. good work so far man

21. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

thanks fellas, this things movin along pretty good.. im not gonna argue against that cummins.. im gonna put one in dads 78 f250 extended cab..:D

22. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

Got some more done today.. Had some relief from this 95 degree al weather..
    [​IMG]
    An extra hand from the ol stovebolt
    [​IMG]
    Got the underside knocked out! I was surprised to find a thick layer of undercoat under all the dirt..
    [​IMG]
    Despite all the dispute, I sprayed this stuff on my frame , left it in the sun for 2 years an it still looked damn good
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  23. LostHope

LostHope

I see progress !! I also see some hillbilly ingenuity...nice big green bush to soften the landing as you roll the bed off the frame , tow truck for a enigne/frame/cab hoist....I like it!! also id roll the wheels off of old "Mater" the tow truck just as it is....

24. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

Lol, yeah the ways are definately backwoods!! There's a shop in the making but that's further away from being finished than the 64!! Man, I bought this wrecker out of the scrap yard.. They called me before they cut the boom off and I got ol mater for 500$..:D Trust me, it's gonna get a thread sooner or later.. Just gonna put in a floor and something to stop that rust!! Everything else, origional!! That winch picked up an 8000lb tractor with no strain. So, ya get a chance to put some of that talent you got on that c10?

25. n847

n847

This is looking good...Keep it up! I too am a big fan of the hillbilly inginuity!

26. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

haha.. thanks bud.. its more about letting everyone know it can be done at home, in the grass by youreself!! with the help and persuasion of the hamb of course!:D

27. Looking good Jdeshler!! I like those Chevy trucks, lot's of fun. When I went to Miss State, the electrical engineering dept had a step side version; inline 6, three on the tree with a non-synchro 1st. The shocks were completely shot and it had rust every where. I loved driving it while picking up supplies for the high voltage lab.

28. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

Don't you love finding someone else's chitty fixes!! Here's some Afro enginuity I found on the floor shift conversion lol..
    [​IMG]
    Took a look inside as well.. A few busted teeth..
    [​IMG]
    This by far is the smartest thing iv done.. If I wouldn't have marked these 2 years ago I'd be in for a headache
    [​IMG]
    Didn't get much done today because it took me 6 hours to find my baggies..

29. Good luck with the tranny. I just rebuilt the 3 speed in my Ranchero and it was a lot of "fun". It actually wasn't too hard, just be sure to keep up with all of the little bearings.

30. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

Thanks hivolt!! They are fun trucks.. Too bad you dont have a pic of the ol shop truck, that'd b neat to see.. Those old non sync transmissions are pretty cool when you get used to em.. I always shift dads old 3 speed ford without the clutch.. The old 6cyl will pull that that thing up to speed from a stop!!