Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

2. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Cant get enough of the old Comets.

[​IMG]

3. JunkYardFrog

JunkYardFrog
    from CA

Great shot! I drove through Garden Grove today.

4. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

A buddy of mine found a new project! Got it home last week,and starting to tear into the beast.Gonna be a real nice A/FX clone.
    Myron_

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  5. 65COMET

65COMET

That looks like a solid starting point!!! ROY.

6. ec164

ec164
    from MI

I agree, great start already! I saw it for sale somewhere not long ago and then it was posted on FE Forum last week or so. Looks very solid and the owner sounds real excited and serious about completion and power. Is he from MI also Myron?......Al

7. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Al,yes he's here in Mi. too. How is your car coming along?

8. bronco gasser

bronco gasser
    BANNED
    from GB WI

cool pics we built a 67 comet altered last year .moved rear up 8in straight axle up front ,427 with 2x4s 4speed, fender well headers. no pics to show. my uncle sold it last fall. if you look up comet on utube the guy is running it at union grove this past summer.

9. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Nice to hear its in MI too Myron..not done much here on car just fit bumpers, but had leaves, more leaves,etc.. got all outside work done for winter. Now heat in garage broke, got a new one this week. I did push it outside to get some sun this week end......Later Al

10. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Al,Cool Comets need vitamin D too! Leaf season here in Dearborn too.They're piled 4ft high out front!:eek:

11. Is that Steve's car? Did he sell the 66?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  12. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Boss/Cyclone,
    Yeah it's Steve's Comet now.I work with him at Ford.And I do believe he has sold the '66 Cyclone.
    Myron_

13. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

14. 65COMET

65COMET

Myron;they had that Comet at last years CHRR.It is a very nice,well built 64 Comet,$60,000 seems like a lot of money to me! I talked to John,he said he was looking at an X factory built Mustang Drag racer,he really wants an old Factory racer to build!! ROY.

15. 65COMET

65COMET

Question for all you High Performance Race car people.My Comet is building a lot of pressure in the cooling system.I opened the radiator cap to drain the system[hasn't been started for over two weeks],the cap blew up into the stops,dumping coolant everywhere,the puke tank had nothing in it!!The reason I was draining the system is I noticed water leaks at the block to head gaskets and at the intake ends.I pulled the heads[Aluminum]and the gaskets show no signs of blow outs anywhere!!Oil is clean,no water! Any Ideas?!!! ROY.

16. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Hi Roy, couple questions....Do you use straight water? When was last time you filled or added coolant? With that I'm wondering, if maybe some how you got some carbonated water which could do that after all the cycles and temp. the water system gets.......Al

17. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Could it be as simple as a cap that is faulty? If the puke tank was empty, the cap was not relieving pressure?

18. 65COMET

65COMET

Al and Dale;Thanks for the input!! I use distilled water and 10% Chevron Super Coolant,it is a lubricant and anti corrosive additive,been using it for 14 years or so,helps keep the iron and aluminum from attacking each other!! The cap was changed just before Canada as I noticed the relief spring was getting creaky[sticky]!I spoke to two different engine builders,they both felt that it has blown head gaskets,even though they look perfect.I have the heads and intake off and the engine is on the stand ready for complete teardown!Drained the oil,NO water in it but did find iron chunks,WTF!!! ROY.

19. ec164

ec164
    from MI

I thought head gasket also but figured after two weeks of sitting the pressure would of oozed out at gasket failure.....Al

20. MD1320guy

MD1320guy

Roy

I'm thinking like Dale. The empty overflow tank is suspect. Have you checked the line from the radiator to the tank for a clog? Next would be possibly a bad cap. If you've only used it since Canada that makes it the last "change" before the problem. In either case though, I would think any pressure would subside once it returned to cold temp. I agree that a head gasket would usually leak both directions and let pressure bleed back off. I've seen this a couple of times (minus the empty puke tank) once was a crack at the exhaust valve seat that let compression weep into the cooling system. The other was a hairline crack in the upper 1" or so of the cylinder wall, right where the deck stops. In any case I hope you get the problem resolved.....Mike

21. 65COMET

65COMET

Guys;again,thank you for your ideas! It is a moot point now,I have the engine out,heads and intake are off.I will strip it down and send the block and heads out to be checked for cracks or anything else I can not see without the proper tooling!One thing that really has me scratching my head is why did it hold pressure for over two weeks?!!You would think it would eventually lose pressure,WEIRD!!!!!! ROY.

22. mercuryjunky

mercuryjunky
    from arvada,co

Just a quick vid of the Straight axle 64 Comet at CHHR this year.

[​IMG]

23. 65COMET

65COMET

Ken;cool video,the others over on FB looked great too! That screaming 6 cylinder roadster was driven by my good friend Eric Christianson.The coil came loose on that run shutting off the engine! ROY.

24. teddisnoke

teddisnoke
    from So Cal

Thanks to Ken for posting up all those video's!! Cool stuff for sure!

By the way, Ken. How are those ""new"" projects coming along?

I was able to get a new set of AFR's latest and greatest castings for the race 351 Windsor ordered the other day, so Ben Alameda can continue to press on forward with the re assembly of the of the 'ol Pro-Gas engine. Anyone looking around for a pair of comepletely re-worked '69 castings, that are brand new?? Crazy,huh. Seventies technology was to take the head, do as much as you could given the small port size, and throw the biggest cam you could squeeze into the block, to try to make up. Now that Roy is going to discover an additional forty more horsepower, I'm in catch -up mode again!!

25. 65COMET

65COMET

Dale;I don't think I'm going after any more horsepower!! I will have the Comet down for quite a while as the block is junk,one piston is broken,looks like the bearings are toast,heads need to be freshened,ETC.!!!! Good luck with the new engine,should make a HUGE difference!! ROY.

26. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Roy I feel the pain! Sorry to hear of all the damage. What do you use, a Windsor truck block? Guess the crack was small enough to seal as engine cooled. How many seasons on the engine and heads?.....Al

27. 65COMET

65COMET

Al;it was a brand new truck block,never been run that some hacks had tried to make into a race engine [ LONG story,luckily it never ran]that I had finish machined.They had to sleeve #1 cylinder as it was screwed up by the previous machinist,that sleeve came loose or moved enough to break off the bottom of the existing cylinder and break a piece off of the piston skirt.The block basically had 21,1/4 mile passes and three 1/8 mile passes since late 2011,never saw more than 7200 rpm!! I am sick of this crap,may go to an aftermarket block,depends on the money situation! ROY.

28. Merritt

Merritt

Anyone been going to the all Ford Super Swap Meet November 24 & 25 at Columbus, OH? Is it a good swap meet?

Merritt

29. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Merritt,
    I have only attended the spring meet and had great time, lots of stuff and things, variety, but wasnt as large as I expected. Highlight was Paul Adams inviting me to have a sit and talk FE engines at his booth, I got a super education on the subject over a 90 min. or more chat, which led to meeting him at Mid MI Motorplex for NHRA points meet, his TBolt is nice.....Al

30. ec164

ec164
    from MI

I was digging through my parts closet and found this box and thought Id share. I purchased them several yrs. ago from Charlie Morris. He said,"they could possibly be originals from 65 Moyer AFX Comet as they came with some parts I bought from Rich Morley after he purchased the car from Sam Auxier Jr." They've been bolted on something but not more than once in my opinion. I made the decal using clear sheet so 427 and outline show in chrome similar to OEM Marauder decals, which I never cared for. Guess its something about the Merc script and lighting bolts that get me going! Hope they will fit with modern day shaft set ups and can use them someday......Al

Attached Files: