Register now to get rid of these ads!

History 64/65 Comets old drag cars lets see pictures

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by apound, Feb 17, 2009.

1. 65COMET

65COMET

Al;WOW,it all looks great! Your plater did an outstanding job!! I had my Kirkey seats done in a style similar to the original seats,I think it adds some class!! ROY.

2. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

The original seats in the 65 Comet AFX / BFX cars were Fiberglas shells made by Cal Glass with vinel covers every thing was Red with 2 steel Channel's bolted to the floor and attached to the seat. They were crude and light and uncomfortable.
    Anyway that's the way it was and still is if you still use them.~~~~~~~~AFX DAVE~~~~~~~

3. dscomet

dscomet
    from michigan

AL that car is going to look great , nice job you are doing.

4. 64CometCyclone

64CometCyclone
    from Katy, TX

This has got to be the biggest thread I have ever seen. I love it. You guys are great. I have already spent hours upon hours looking at these photos and reading a lot of great posts. So, here is my contribution... It aint much, and it was not a race car (that I know of)... It is a '64 Cyclone that was purchased from Pflueger in Hawaii. It's in pieces right now and I am slowly getting it back together.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  5. JunkYardFrog

JunkYardFrog
    from CA

That picture looks good! What upgrades are you doing to it?

P.S. We will need MORE pix. :D

6. JunkYardFrog

JunkYardFrog
    from CA

Hey Al,

Looks great! You're making me jealous. :D

7. JunkYardFrog

JunkYardFrog
    from CA

Wow. That was the factory seat?

8. AFX DAVE

AFX DAVE

JunkYardFrog;
    That what Bill Stropp got from Cal Glass just for all the 65 FX Comets. It was available at Hot Rod Shops back in the early 60's. The Seat Covers were made at a fabric shop in most likely in Long Beach, Ca. The Fiberglass Seats were painted interior Carnival Red with the Seat Covers were also a Carnival type Red.
    PS; Several guys back in the 80's made Copy's of those Seats and Seat Covers. as far as I know, no one made the channel attachment brackets.
    The 64's AFX Comets used a compleat different Seat Assy.
    ~~~~~~~~AFX DAVE~~~~~~~~

9. 64CometCyclone

64CometCyclone
    from Katy, TX

Thanks,

Right now, I have both doors and fenders ripped off. The rear glass is out and most of the interior. It is primer gray for the most part and I had to do some welding with a little bit of filler. ;) Soon to be painted red with the comet tail being black with a silver transition line going around the outline of the tail (still debating just red).

I see a lot of guys on this thread are into altered wheel-based cars... and that is cool! Mine will be enjoyed on the street with an occaisional trip to the strip... I am sticking with the A-frame stuff.

It has a GT40 302 crate motor from Ford and was dropped in the engine bay back in '96 from what I gather. I have a Comp Cams .512 lift Hydraulic that I stabbed in there after one of the dogbones broke and the roller lifter on the B303 cam rotated on me. That is another story. It has a 4-speed toploader wide ratio gearbox and a 3.55:1 8" rear-end that has held up to some abuse for the past 8 years. It has traction masters, but that is it for the rear. It will hop a little.

I will stay with that powertrain until I gather enough cash for a 347 and a rebuilt close ratio 4-speed.

The interior will be mainly black with red door panels, red steering column/wheel, red seat inserts, red console and the lower half of the dash (from the dashpad line down) will also be red.

I'll send what I can find for pics:

64 Cyclone b.jpg

64 Cyclone C.jpg

64 Cyclone d.jpg

10. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

My 64 Cyclone was also purchased from Pflueger.Is yours part of the group of 10 "special ordered" 64 Comets? Thet were 5 Calientes and 5 Cyclones all with 6 digit DSO numbers.I have found some of these rare Comets.One of them being the only Stroppe prepped B/FX 64 Comet.It is a Cyclone with the same 6 digit DSO as my Cyclone,same build date and only 2 units apart in the VIN.My Cyclone VIN ends in 199 and the B/FX in 201.

11. 65COMET

65COMET

Steve;I'm glad you responded!! I was trying to remember who had a Pflueger Comet[CRS disease] and didn't feel like going through this thread!!!!!! ROY.

12. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Here's some pictures of the B/FX Cyclone and my Cyclone.

Attached Files:

13. Al, wow great build your doing and I like the stlye your building. Keep us up to date. The interior stuff looks great. More info on your front suspenion would be good.
    Roger

14. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Steve you have some interesting cars, hard to imagine the luck of finding cars built so close plus a 1 of from Stroppe...Al

15. Jerod Jardine

Jerod Jardine
    from wyoming

Gotta build some headers for the ford stuff next week. Get in line if you need a set.

16. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

Al,Looking GOOD!

Myron_

17. JunkYardFrog

JunkYardFrog
    from CA

18. 65COMET

65COMET

Al;WOW,the inside looks nicer than some outsides!!!!! ROY.

19. 65COMET

65COMET

JunkYardFrog;that is a nice looking 64 Caliente,very clean! ROY.

20. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Thanks again Roy. That car does look and sound nice, to bad He lives across the straits long haul to check it out....Al

21. Only about 10 hour drive!;) Does look nice, just happens to be about as far away from us as possible and still be in the state. Al, who did your upholstery? I would like to do a set like that in black for my Cyclone. Larry

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  22. JunkYardFrog

JunkYardFrog
    from CA

Too bad. I was hoping someone might be close enough to see it in person.

23. Thanks, I will keep that number and get with him this winter. I do make it to the Houghton area (where that 64 is) sometimes in the winter during snowmobile season. Never been up there in the Summer.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  24. Cshabang

Cshabang

makes me want to get going on my 65 again. Too many other things on the priority list currently though...

25. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

Apound, I just sent you a PM concerning those two early build Cyclones.

26. Analog Dog

Analog Dog
    from Utah

I need to tap into the great minds on this thread...when was the 1964 Cyclone model offered to the public? I always thought it came out in mid year of production as in April of 1964.I think maybe it came out alot sooner than that and I don't think they have that horizontal trim piece at the bottom of the rear roof pillar.I also thought all 64 Cyclones had that trim piece..I believe Apound has two of them and 64 Comet Cyclone has another.In fact it was 64 Comet Cyclone that brought it to my attention while I was researching his Hawaiian Comet...

27. jamie c lookin 4 a car

jamie c lookin 4 a car

Has anyone seen a chopped top 64'comet running around? If you have pictures or any info please tell me ive been searching for my dads old comet for a long time and cant find it. My dad sold the comet because he was getting divorced. the comet was a 64 post car chopped, the rear fenderwells were made to look like the front wells. the car just seemed to dissappear i would really like to find the car again...

28. 64CometCyclone

64CometCyclone
    from Katy, TX

Thanks Analog Dog.

I did not have the trim piece that went along the rear roof pillar. When I sanded down that part of the car, there were no holes for the trim either (assuming that the trim is clipped to the pillar). I do have the chrome piece that went along the roof rain rail. Although, my pic I posted earlier does not show that chrome piece.

29. My 64 Cyclone was built May 4th, 1964 and does have that trim piece. Hope this helps narrow down the date range a bit.:) You can see it in this picture.
    [​IMG]

30. 65COMET

65COMET

Larry being a show off!!!! Lucky Bastard,has one of each of the best years!!!!!!! ROY.