Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 64 283 PCV help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Lone Star Mopar, May 22, 2017.

1. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

While swapping intakes on the 283 in my 64 C10 I thought it'd be a good time to change the pcv valve that back there behind it. Pulled the original out and dont see a valve in there anywhere. Just this housing and a catch can under the intake. Is there supposed to be anything else inside here or is this it ?

Attached Files:

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

No the hose would hook to that peace and go to the PCV that on some models was threaded in the base of the carb.

3. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

The "canister" below the manifold is a baffle to prevent oil from being sucked out of the crankcase. You have all of the parts, except the actual PCV valve, which is external.
    Here is an example of the PCV: --> the rubber hose and silver PCV, screwing into the brass "T" coming off the back of the carburetor. 1964 PCV.jpg

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  4. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Great, exactly the info I needed. It seems the actual PCV valve was removed long ago I guess, should be an easy enough fix.
    Thanks for the info & pics Big Dog

BigDogSS likes this.

5. chopped

chopped

If you don't use the older intake with the vent tube is one vented valve cover enough.

6. One valve cover vented is usually enough to draw air into the block. That vent normally brings clean air from the air cleaner base.

7. You had a hose from breather hole nipple , directly to the back of the carb?

8. chopped

chopped

Thanks. (sorry for the highjack).

9. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

@Mark Yac if your asking me, that's the way it was hooked up when I bought the truck. It would start and run but had a huge vacuum leak. Had to unhook the line for the engine to run properly.

sent with tin cans and strings.

10. 10-4 on the huge vacuum leak. That's what I was getting at. Some people, huh? The basics seem to escape them.

Lone Star Mopar likes this.
  11. I just connected a hose and let it hang under the truck, chevy make a tube that can go their and is called a road draft,

12. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

A PCV system is much better than a road draft tube.

belair, harpo1313 and Lone Star Mopar like this.
  13. That's true, they did, and after that they made a PVC system. Why would you want all those fumes and oily vapor coating the underside of your how truck?

14. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

The truck may have had a "huge vacuum leak", but it didn't come from that road draft tube unless somebody had done something to hook a vacuum line where it didn't belong. There is NO VACUUM INVOLVED IN A ROAD DRAFT SYSTEM. The end of the tube protrudes down into the airflow under the vehicle, is cut at an angle to create a suction in the crankcase and pulling fresh air in through an oil fill cap with a horsehair filter in it and open underneath to get air. This was the system used for years on all vehicles until someone developed the pcv valve system, originally for air pollution reasons, but when finally perfected, for street use, at least it works better than the old system at keeping down condensation, etc. in the crankcase.
    Often though it is inadequate for the high rpm racing applications which can actually pressurize the crankcase with only a pcv valve to vent it.

slack likes this.
  15. slack

slack

Is that the vacuum advance line comming off the back of the brass "T"? It is almost obvious but you know what they say about assuming.:rolleyes:

16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I am guessing it goes to the vacuum modulator on the trans.

17. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Now that slack has caused me to look more closely at the pic from OP, I see that this is one of those "half breed" systems used early in the pcv valve's introduction into the automotive use. The piece he's holding in his first post is the adapter used to adapt the pcv system to the early sbc setup that in earlier years would have had a road draft tube there.
    There is a hose nipple on the adapter Where you attach a hose that goes to the thebig vacuum outlet underneath the carb, as in your pic. BUT , in that line, between the adapter and the vacuum outlet, which in your pic appears to be a brass tee, is where the pcv valve goes, and I'm not sure if what I see there is a hose adapter or a pcv valve in the big hose. But that hose is where the pcv valve goes, facing the correct way.

18. The picture is not of the O/P's set-up. It is an example of where the PCV should go.

19. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

OOPS:eek: I missed that:oops:, thx:)

20. I'd be curious as to where the vacuum advance is hooked to in the example pic.
    This carb doesn't have the threaded port under the choke housing.
    Possibly one at LF, but I don't see the wisdom of running it around that way...over or under the linkage.

21. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

The engine and pic shown are mostly pre smog except pcv. In those days, and today for some of us, full manifold vacuum was used for vacuum advance of dist.
    But please, let's not muddy up the subject at hand with an issue that's been debated countless times here on HAMB.

22. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Talking SBC only. The system in the picture is known as "Open-PCV", where vapors can still escape to the atmosphere --> pre-smog as mentioned above. I prefer a "closed-PCV" system. Introduced in 1963 or 64 in California as an emissions device. This is where the PCV valve screws into the oil-fill tube and the hole in the back of the block is connected by metal tube and rubber hose to the air cleaner. The engone compartment stays much cleaner.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  23. I assumed it was. Actually, that was not my question.

24. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Ok since this is still alive does anyone have a part number for an inline PCV valve that will work inline for this little 283 ? I've swapped to an 4bbl Edelbrock intake and carb after the ol 2 bbl didnt cooperate. The stock piece is threaded and all they have at my local spot are "L" style that are meant to go in the valve cover. I need one that will fit inline behind the carb with hose barbs on each end instead of threads.

25. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

26. Been running it for four years and don,t have oil under the truck that is what the canister under the intake is for.

27. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Thanks again Bigdog think I've found one at oriellys that should work, it'll be in at 9am tomorrow.

28. This is the one he was looking for, according to his description...63-64 style 518198.jpg

29. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

@Markyac, I was trying to avoid the brass tee fitting and just use slip on hose inline style. Im wondering if the one you show will thread directly into the back of the new 4 barrel.

30. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Should be 1/4 inch pipe thread.
    What carb do you have?
    If you have power brakes you wont want it in the same port.