Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 63 Falcon Gasser (South East Gassers)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sonic03bluegt, Mar 3, 2015.

1. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

Its a 351c tunnelram. Gonna run my 302 tunnelram with spacers to fit the 351w for now, but hope to maybe modify a 351c tunnelram to work over winter

els, loudbang and AHotRod like this.
  2. frankenfords

frankenfords
    from SoCal

Right on, I'd say just port the snot out of the 302 TR and spacers, maybe cut the runners open on a band saw to really get in there, reweld it when done? Might not be necessary to go that far though, the velocity will probably still be good with a narrower cross section. The section of the 351C intake may be a velocity and carb signal killer, akin to adding too much plenum.

Been lurking on this build, really digging that car and am impressed by your drive and progress!

I think you're gonna like that 427. I built a 408 to replace a 351W in a F-100 last year, kept it pretty tame for pump gas at 10:1 with reverse dome pistons, a middle of the road lunati solid flat tappet cam, used a pair of trick flow high ports, single 830 Holley, backed by a toploader 4 speed...thing has much bigger balls than I expected it would. Not as rowdy as the all out 428FE in my other truck, but still impressive for what it is. With all that compression and cam like yours will have, that little Falcon should flat out fly!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    els and sonic03bluegt like this.
  3. Gabriel - if you are coming down Saturday there is a big swap meet at Commerce. We plan to go there early and if Jimmy don't mind, maybe go take a look at your new engine after that.

4. els, kiwijeff, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  5. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

Slick little car. I have a 62 Falcon Futura going together. Is that front axle Econoline or something else? Exploring my options trying not to go tube axle.

els likes this.
  6. cptn60

cptn60
    from Joke City

7. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Gabe, just PM'd you

8. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Love your falcon! Done up right.

9. deto

deto

fucking awesome man...

10. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

[​IMG]
    running it in at jimmy huffs. broke it in with a dominator and super victor.
    [​IMG]
    getting the collector where it goes and trying to figure out tube length
    [​IMG]
    Getting the first tube fitted and tacked in

11. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

[​IMG]
    Got the first 3 tubes figured out and tacked
    [​IMG]
    This was about 6 hours into the project with 1.5 people working
    [​IMG]
    The passenger side i fitted all on my own so go easy on me, its my first attempt
    [​IMG]
    Getting the drivers side welded up for good.
    [​IMG]
    trying to get the last tube to come out the right length was a little bit of a bitch
    [​IMG]
    neat little trick Quain had shown Donovan on how to flow the bends that came in really handy
    [​IMG]
    All welded up!

12. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

[​IMG]
    Took a lot of work to get to this point! Now i know why custom headers cost so much

els, loudbang, kiwijeff and 2 others like this.
  13. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I am pretty proud of how the headers turned out. Quain was out of town tuning a ProMod so Donovan and I conquered these on our own, and he only has a couple of sets under his belt. They are 1 7/8" stepped to 2" tubing 3.5" outside of the header flange. 29" tuned primaries on both sides. I owe a huge thanks to Jimmy Huff for getting my engine built, Quain for loaning me the shop for a couple of days and only being a call away, and Donovan for donating a good bit of his weekend building a set of headers

els, kiwijeff, 3dnsouth and 6 others like this.
  14. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

We started with a few pieces of 1 7/8 tubing and a jegs 2" sprint car header kit for the bends and a set of header flanges for anyone that was wondering. Testing this week, then our next race is September 5 at Union, SC. Should be one of the best races so far, mark the date on your calendar!

els likes this.
  15. AHotRod

AHotRod

Dude !!! ..... they turned out awesome, very well done.

els likes this.
  16. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Good Job, building the headers the right way. And yes I'm sure Donovan was a big help he's a pretty sharp kid and has been involved in several set's here. Most home built headers and a lot of store bought ones are not tuned. Most don't even know how to look at a set of headers and tell. I Get a kick out of it when I give someone a price and they tell me so and so will build them for 1/2 that. Especially when I have checked out so and so's tuning.

els, sonic03bluegt and AHotRod like this.
  17. TIG even :) nice work. That thing is gonna haul the mail.

els, sonic03bluegt and AHotRod like this.
  18. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

Thanks, it took a lot of work but im happy with them

Yeah the hardest part was trying to get the tube length the same for sure

Quick and Dirty may need those extra cubic inches pretty soon!

els, Dog_Patch and II FUNNY like this.
  19. Can't wait to hear the new motor in person. Great job on the pipes. I couldn't tell from the pics, did ya purge 'em when ya welded 'em up? Keeps 'em nice n' smooth inside, too. Hammer down man!

els likes this.
  20. Higgy's Henry

Higgy's Henry

Quain kind of answered my question which was gonna be, how essential is tube length and do they all need to be equal?

els likes this.
  21. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Tony you have to purge stainless or it makes a mess inside. Mild steel unless you are welding to hot don't do bad on the back side. But it don't hurt to back purge anyway but most don't. The tubing Donovan and Gabe used was that old aluminized stuff, donovan said it made a mess when he welded it.

22. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Tube length is very important if your fine tuning to get all the cylinders to run the same. For an easy to understand example long tubes give it bottom end (low RPM range) Short tubes (high RPM range) So if you have several different lengths the engine is always confused. Same with intake runners you wouldn't want them to be way different. It's way more complicated than this but this hits the high spots. I'm probably just too picky but I try to teach the kids to do it right.
    Oh yea a supercharged car don't matter as much because it's forced out during the overlap of the cam..

els, AHotRod, sonic03bluegt and 3 others like this.
  23. CGkidd

CGkidd

Damn how did I miss another Gasser build.

els likes this.
  24. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

Thanks for helping explain everything Quain. You do a much better job than I do!

els likes this.
  25. ..,you guys just get it d o n e!

els and Quain Stott like this.
  26. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

You're going to be be one of us guys before long. Better get that 56 tuned up, we have turned it into gasser land around here.

27. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

Been working steadily on the car still. My ET keeps dropping, and i think that i have found one of the problems holding back my big inch engine. The fuel system in the car was pretty restrictive so i have been working all week on redoing it. Also putting AED jet plates in the back of my 660's so that i can change my jetting yet it will still look stock from the outside and i can still run my carbs inline without modifying the intake

els, Dog_Patch, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  28. Bugguts

Bugguts

Way cool build! Just saw my first gassers run last Saturday and loved every minute of it. No cookie cutters, and great wheels up launches! Thanks for making me want one more!

els likes this.
  29. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

Build one and bring it down south to run with us! Bunch of guys from Wisconsin are already building them to run with us, yall can all convoy down here!

30. sonic03bluegt

sonic03bluegt
    from sc

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    finally got my design for my shirts back! I love how they turned out

els, AHotRod, 3dnsouth and 3 others like this.