Register now to get rid of these ads!

63 chevy pu rebuild

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kiwicowboy, Sep 19, 2009.

1. kiwicowboy

kiwicowboy
    from linwood nc

63 chevy step side pickup,ground up build

Attached Files:

2. 60 Belair

60 Belair

Cool
    looks like you have a nice foundation to start with keep us posted
    later Andy ​

3. Hey man, that looks like a good start. I too am re-building a truck, mine is a 64 SWB.

4. Johnnyzoom

Johnnyzoom
    from Florida

I got my 63 stepside from NC too, somewhere around Duke? What are you doing for drivetrain?

5. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

Kool working on rebuilding the 400 in my '76 right now. Going to make it into a sleeper of sorts. Shh. Cool truck. Be on the look out for ya.....

6. kiwicowboy

kiwicowboy
    from linwood nc

12 bolt rear, 350 sbc 350 auto, A/C ,just a good clean daily driver.

7. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

You gonna lower it? I hope to lower mine and make pretty much a simple ride really. Just fun though. No fancy gizmos just something fun to scoot around in.

8. F&J

F&J

I did those 60-66s for 10 years:(

anyways, if it was a stick and you don't have the auto x-member, the newer 67-72 trans xmember is a perfect fit. Most guys don't use a good replcement like the GM that ties to the top and bottom flanges of the frame. There is so much weight on the two frt cab mounts that the frame kind of twists outwards at the cab mount brackets without either the factory stick bell xmember or factory trans xmember.

everyone I did except one got ps and pb...those are a must. Discs not needed unless hauling big weights

63 was the last year for a welded on panard bar on the diff, Just transplant that onto your donor rear...any p/u rear to 87 fits nice. Use 4wd rear for 6 lugs, or 2wd donor for 5lug. 70 up is 1.5" wider which helps fill those rear fenders better. If stock wheels are going on it, use 70s-87 4x4 6 lug wheels, they are radial rated and a nicer offset.

oh, and grab a swaybar & brackets off a 67-72; perfect swap. 3/4 ton bar is beefier.

9. kiwicowboy

kiwicowboy
    from linwood nc

Thanks F&J good info on the x member.