Register now to get rid of these ads!

'63 chevy ignition help - cylinder stuck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by touchdowntodd, Jul 29, 2012.

1. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

so...

63 impala ... when i was driving i went to start it and it was sticking in the start position ... finally it stopped, and i drove home ..

inspecting it now its just plain stuck .... basically in the "on" position .. the ignition switch is newer, but the cylinder looks to be stock GM

i know i should just turn to "ACC" and push a paperclip in the hole, pull out the cylider .. however, this is not an option, something went really wrong and the ignition wont turn at all, if it does its 1/16th of a turn more of a wiggle .. i did get it to go to the start position which wasnt great because then i pulled the ignition plug to turn the car off ..

any ideas on getting this cylinder out? its a nice car, lots of wierd cutting etc may not be an option .. i thought of grinding the tabs off that hold the bezel in, but if i remember right even then the cylinder wont slide through the dash if i pull it from the back ... and even then there is some work behind the bezels i dont want to screw up (engraved and chromed)

thanks a lot .. couldnt be more pissed ..

2. gwarren007

gwarren007

call a locksmith

3. squirrel

squirrel

If you can get to the back of the switch, see if you can bend the crimped tabs that hold the switch together. There's a flat black plastic piece that is held into the pot metal housing, with three crimps. Then remove the plastic piece and the guts.

But....it might or might not be the switch that's stuck. This method will let you turn it if the switch part is stuck, but not if the tumbler is stuck.

4. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

i can get to the back, and it seems the tumbler itself is whats stuck ... damnit

5. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Try lots of lock lubricant first. Unplug the wiring harness from the switch and play with the key while turning the switch. If that doesn't work, you have to drill the lock cylinder out. Try to get one from an auto parts store so you know what you are trying to drill out. Somebody likely sells the entire switch assembly too but you need to get the end of the lock cylinder off to get the nut off that secures the switch to the dashboard. You can just hang a replacement switch under the dash.

6. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

so i just wiggled with MUCH more force and slowly broke the tumbler mechanism ... it came out after that because i was able to turn to the ACC position .. now car runs/drives etc but whole tumbler comes out with the key LOL . we will just call it my security system (not really, i will be replacing ASAP, just wanted to see if it worked ok)