Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '62 Ford Unibody LSR Truck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mctim64, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Sounds like a win win situation to me Tim :)

2. We are running Goodyear Frontrunners, as most do, not much for traction with very little contact area but that's what we want. Bonneville seems to have less when you take off but it stays consistant where as Elmo when you get into that soft torn up stuff at high speed you can feel it slipping. There is traction loss at both places but certainly more at Elmo towards the end of the day. I had a high start # since Jake had not run there before so the course was pretty well chewed up by the time I got to run.

Charlie had some relatively agressive tires on the "Brick" and also had 200 lbs of weight in the back, although it didn't handle very well it did hold traction better. We'll be ready next month. ;)

3. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

Tim, Just found this thread. I spent the better part of the afternoon getting up to speed on Your quest for speed. I have to say, you have the most beautiful truck I have seen in a long time! Not to mention one mean sounding Y-Block! Well done!

4. Thank you very much! :D Next year I hope to add a little more "bite" to go with the "bark". ;)

5. Awesome...

I'm thrilled that the truck drives so well at speed...acts like it wants to go MUCH faster...which is good ;)

6. BIGDADDYUSMC

BIGDADDYUSMC

Cool.... glad you decided to have Tim do you 312. I have never met him but the word is he is one of the best on the Y blocks...
    Again sorry for backing out on the 312 deal. I just couldn't do it.
    Randy

7. Tacho

Tacho

Couple of pics I found during my visit with team 416 on Saturday. Was happy to give a hand with removing the intake manifold and try on a Mummert. Didn't match up initially but would have been nice. McTim, did you manage to work it on there during Speedweek?
    Also, I'm getting around to adjusting my valves on the 292 like I mentioned there at the flats. After getting to know your expertise would you mind sharing your valve adjusting outline?

Last weekend I found out that about 6 bags of soil pep - 2 cubic ft. in the back was around 200 lbs and cost under 20 bucks. That could work pretty good for traction because those bags lay flat and stay still. LOL

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  8. Ballast needs to be secured. Bags of shit dont count/work. Nice meeting you on the salt.

9. Grommet

Grommet
    from South GA

10. Send me an email and I'll go through the valve adjusting. Yes, we got the Mummert manifold to work but couldn't use the fresh air intake on top as the carb. sat back farther on the Mummert. Ran good though. I have the ballast all worked out, might suprise some. :rolleyes:

I though of just attaching a couple of lawn chairs and taking people for rides. But not my "shit bag" friends. LOL :D

11. OneRustedDodge

OneRustedDodge

Such a great thread. I'll use some of the stuff posted to make my LSR come together more efficiently.

12. Photo by Doug Hayes.

[​IMG]

13. I got an idea, call me. We gotta talk rules. ;)

And that seat belt/panel thing we keep forgetting.

14. Love the truck. Keep it up!

15. motorgod7

motorgod7
    from chico,ca.

Tim, are you gonna bring the truck out to Dos Palos, so we can see it?

16. I wish I could but I can only haul 1 toy out and that would have to be Elwood. If I had more help I might be able to next May. :)

17. My cousin put together this little video of when we were testing out at the airport. I know it's a little after the fact but he just finished editing today.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xwsYKTUDE2E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. That many passes the FAA should have a tail number for you by now!

19. When I can rotate and lift off I will give it an "N" number. Maybe N1962J. ;)

although now that I think of it "lift off" is the last thing I want. :eek:

20. Yeah, dont make the Uni fly please.

21. I don't know last time I saw Tim his feet wern't touching the ground if you know what I mean. Maybe he was already flying.........

22. True Carl, true

23. motorgod7

motorgod7
    from chico,ca.

I just love the sound of those old ford starters.

24. spasecadet

spasecadet
    from PDX

Great truck and a cool vid. Thanks for sharing the build. Has started me thinking, hmm, I could build a Dodge truck ... :D

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  25. fbcoach68

fbcoach68
    from SOCAL

Is the grey '36 truck you used to tow your truck at Bonneville yours also?

26. That belongs to Roseville Carl.

27. fbcoach68

fbcoach68
    from SOCAL

The pictures of the '36 towing the '62 are awesome. Any chance of the '36 visiting El Mirage at the next meet?

28. I'm trying to get Carl to come down but it is a bit of a shlep for him.

29. Me too! I will never use one of those "high torque" gear reduced things.

30. Hey Tim how far down is it to El Mirage and what are the accomidations like?
    can't be any farther than Bonneville...........