Register now to get rid of these ads!

'62 Fairlane gauge issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Malpass, Jan 15, 2011.

1. I've got a 3 gauge pod in my fairlane, oil, voltage, and temp. the factory temp gauge used to sit flat at cold since it had been bypassed and the gas gauge read fine. all of a sudden the fuel and the factory temp gauge peg, past F on the fuel gauge and past hot on the temp, so much so the needles can't be seen. what would cause this problem all of a sudden for no given reason? I haven't changed anything with the wiring.

2. My guess is they went to ground.

3. Wolfman1

Wolfman1

Does sound like the went to ground , there is a small voltage regulator under the
    dash that is for the instrument cluster.

4. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

instrument cluster voltage regulator x2

5. Any idea what the regulator under the dash would look like? Or where it should be? I know there is a fuse block on the headlight switch, I wonder if it could be a fuse? My guess is if it was a fuse, though, that they wouldn't move at all

Sent from my iPhone 4 using TJJ

6. Wolfman1

Wolfman1

It's about 3/4" x 3/8" x 3/8" mounted on a flat bracket with 2 wires.
    Usually you can see it if you look up under the dash, should be mounted with 2 screws

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  7. Wolfman1

Wolfman1

8. sparky1562

sparky1562

I think it is on the passenger side of the cluster. You can see it next to the radio opening. This is from my 62.

Picture 017.jpg

9. You guys are the best! I'll report back next week after I get a chance to take a look. Any chance the parts stores carry that piece?

10. Wolfman1

Wolfman1

You will probably have to order it from a place that sells
    classic Ford parts like Macs

11. is there any alternative to this part, i.e. simple voltage reducer? napa wants $65 and AZ wants $45

12. Wolfman1

Wolfman1

Not that I'm aware of. Last one I bought was around $20
    I believe it steps you down to 5 volts

13. Johncovert

Johncovert

Ive used these regulators in old 6 volt cars when ive updated to 12 volt systems.....Youll find them behind the dash in most fords up into the 80s. Actually ive never had problems making any of them work, although others have told me that they have....my point is to check the junkyards and pull one out of another ford...preferably one from the 60s. another solution is this link....page down and youll also see the schematics for the circuit....hope this helps Ford Mustang Instrument Cluster Voltage Regulator 5v: eBay Motors (item 280572904155 end time Nov-07-10 17:51:35 PST)

14. RAG66

RAG66
    from WASHINGTON

Malpass, Get the one from NAPA. I have replaced several of these on various FORD gauge pannels. The napa ones seem to hold up better. $65.00 sound a bit high but the last time I did one was 3-4 years ago and it was $40.00. Wolfman got this one right I believe....:D

15. I ended up buying a solid state regulator from an eBay vendor, it carries a 1year warranty, the reviews were really good on it and it was less than $30 shipped. I'll let you all know how it turns out. Thanks for all of the input guys!

16. sparky1562

sparky1562

FYI, this was posted by Bob Mannel on the FCofA this week in response to another question:

"The constant voltage regulator is a misnomer. It is a devise that turns on and off the 12 volt source to give an average or equivalent voltage of 5 volts for use by the heating elements in the fuel and temperature gauges. The heating elements are very slow reacting to the on/off interruptions, so responds well to the zero to 12 volt fluctuations. It has nothing to do with the source (generator, alternator, etc.) "

17. Popped in the new eBay piece today, works like a dream, thanks for all of the help folks! I would have been chasing wiring for days!

18. Blades

Blades
    from Chicago

I now have that problem. Malpass any info on the one you bought?

19. still going strong! no problems at all. i used the one i bought from ebay, ill see if i can find a listing....

20. wombat barf

wombat barf
    from oklahoma

mine went out on my '64 in 1996. I went to a nearby creek and pulled out the entire instrument cluster of a '61 Galaxy that the county had placed there sometime in the 1970s to hold the land. swapped that one out for mine and it's still there, working like a charm.

1960s Ford trucks of all sizes used these same regulators so if any of your local salvages have vintage F-100s through F-350s you might be able to score an entire instrument cluster with a FoMoCo regulator for less than the price of a repop regulator.