Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 62 coupe deville lower glass channel issue

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anthony myrick, Jun 7, 2022.

1. Got these repro glass parts. Originals rotted.
    Having issues getting them to stay in place.
    C7B62847-761D-4CAF-A298-070F2EB2D654.jpeg
    Installed with the new tape. Was very loose.
    Slightly messaged thechannel to tighten up.
    Pops off or won’t stop clamped in place.
    9FFBD0AF-640B-440E-8DB5-F9FE26DE2158.jpeg
    any tricks
    Or urethane in place?

2. Well poop.
    Dang weld just broke.
    Dang new parts:mad::mad::mad::mad:
    E9F548D4-76D0-4172-B22F-01F17C196A3E.jpeg

3. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Too thin metal material? Maybe thicker setting tape?

4. Stopped by my glass shop. It seems the tape sent with the brackets are too narrow.
    They gave me a tube of primerless urethane.
    The plan is to drill and bolt the bracket. Probably will do all of em since the welds are suspect.
    Then use urethane with just enough of the setting tape to locate the glass in the channel

mgtstumpy and Dave Mc like this.

5. Oh, and the re-pop parts are thinner than the OE one.

6. squirrel

squirrel

There are different thicknesses of glass, as well as different thicknesses of setting tape. And as you found, different thicknesses of metal....and lots of places making repop parts that look like the original part, but dont work like the original part.

Urethane fixes everything. Ugh.

anthony myrick likes this.
  7. Even with theses issues, modifying these parts is faster than fabricating the new channel.
    Stinks to get this close to a great part and it fail.

squirrel likes this.
  8. Joe Travers

Joe Travers
    from Louisiana

Just bought a roll of welting for early '60s Car-Lite glass. Not as flimsy as your tape.
    Got it from National Parts Depot.

Joe

9. SS327

SS327

At the dealership I used to use this stuff called Chanel bonding adhesive. Basicly were bonding the glass to the Chanel with a special flexible epoxy. Don’t have a part number been 25 years since I last did it, but it was made by 3m and others.

10. First time I ever had an issue like this.
    Shop was hot, me banging the channel on, pulling back off. Then the weld broke. Then a dentist appointment. (Scheduled, no accident)
    Anyway, sitting in the chair with another persons hands in my mouth, I figured out a fix. Stoped by the local glass shop. They no longer stock the channel bedding material but he handed me his favorite urethane.

Joe Travers, guthriesmith and SS327 like this.
  11. I have always bathed the seal in kerosene, then knocked the glass in with a rubber mallet. Let it dry up a bit overnight, then clean up the excess and the mess with a razor blade and more kerosene. Sounds like you might need a double thickness of "insertion rubber (natural rubber)".

Joe Travers and anthony myrick like this.
  12. goldmountain

goldmountain

I stuck mine on with urethane. Later, I needed to remove the glass. Not a happy situation.

13. Back on this one today.
    Spot welds on one bracket broke. I drilled and installed stainless machine screws with nylocs on all brackets and silicone brazed the bottom channel.
    Glued in the window.
    Will clean up the glass after it cures more
    F8D78211-5E0E-48A5-B87B-DAF53751E143.jpeg F543799F-E81A-4549-8502-BD898D9C05D8.jpeg
    also removed sheet metal screws on the ends, tapped for machine screws. Will trim them after curing.
    Aftermarket parts. Gotta luv em.
    Still better than nuthin