Register now to get rid of these ads!

62 Chevy 409 Wagon Org. 4 spd with Tach

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mmmaxwe, Dec 27, 2007.

1. mmmaxwe

mmmaxwe

Hello again,

Need some tech advice and/or someone who knows about early Chevy Station Wagons.

My buddy and I have recovered a mostly complete 62 Bel Air wagon 6 Pass. with the 409 2x4, original 4 spd car, less tranny, with a siren and a large set of radio transmitters in the rear of the car. I would like to hear some thoughts about this car and would like to find someone knowledgeable about these special cars. Car is mostly complete and will need a total restoration. Has what appears to be a factory mounted tach, (7K) on the column.

Currently researching all of the numbers and seems to be a numbers correct car. I will post photo's soon as I am waiting for the paper work to finalize and will do so soon.

The car will need to be completely restored as it has been sitting since the late 60's.

Contact information and thoughts would be appreciated.
    Mike

2. no idea but post some pics!!! that sounds 100% badarse :D

3. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I know there's a 4dr Hemi Coronet in the Garlits museum that was one of a few ordered by the FBI.
    I've also seen a Hemi GTX with green body, white hood, doors and deck lid, that was ordered by a Georgia Sherrif. That car had an additional Heavy Duty alternator mouted on the engine, a whole bunch of extra wiring and brackets for radios, and access patches in the valve covers, above each rocker arm adjuster, held on with simple sheetmetal screws, so the valve could easily be adjusted by the city garage's mechanic.
    Finally, when my father worked for AMC as an industrial engineer, he processed some special order AMXs for a Georgia police department.

I can easily see this car being a cop car, or even more likely, a fire cheif's car. Not too many cop station wagons back then, but fire cheifs regularly used the bigger cars to carry emergency equipment.

Just my total speculation on the deal, but it makes sense to me: 4spd 2x4 car was to get somewhere in a hurry.
    -Brad

4. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

maybe some Hotrod savy Fire Chief ordered it like that. Sure is an odd ball. Cant wait to see some pics

5. rainh8r

rainh8r

it may have been a civil defense car or ambulance-are there any holes in the roof for lights? Fire chiefs ususally had some kind of special unit also, which may explain the radio gear (they usually got what they wanted).

6. mmmaxwe

mmmaxwe

I was figuring something in Law Enforcement and seems the FBI CIA thing has come up a few times. I expect to have pics next week after I have all of the paperwork in order, (just one of my rules).

We went after my buddies car....Tony you should post your car, and heard of the Wagon. Found the Wagon and brought his car and the Wagon home at the same time. Was a good weekend.

M

7. mmmaxwe

mmmaxwe

No holes in the roof. I lean towards FBI-CIA or UC Cops as there is nothing to indicate anything more than a grocery getter. Original paint from the factory, no additional paint or faded areas where emblems used to be.

8. mmmaxwe

mmmaxwe

Ambulances would most likely have been black or white. This one in the Aqua Blue. The Cowl Tag for trim and paint match what is on the car.

9. blacufo

blacufo

The ambulances and Hearses that year were contracted through Cotner Bevington for the conversions and would have had the pop-up roof on them. Also they will have the Cotner Bevington body tag. Depending on the sirens, they could have been bolt ons at the time or a government issued vehicle. Depending on where the cars where registered, you can try and do a title search and maybe get some more info.

10. mmmaxwe

mmmaxwe

The siren is hidden under the hood behind the LF headlights. The radio transmitters are "Bell" Systems and mounted under the rear storage area. Pretty cool setup. The Newspapers in the storage area are from the mid 60's.

11. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

The Forestry Dept. also used cars like this. Friend of mine had a similar 60 2 door wagon that came from the forestry dept. Big block 4 speed with real low miles. Gary

12. danagamer

danagamer

the guys at www.chevytalk.com specialize in tracking down vin & block numbers. they can tell you exactly what the deal is on that wagon.

13. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

When I worked for Custom Auto Polish back in the early sixties we had 63 & 64 4dr wagons with 4 speeds and SS interiors including the bucket seats and console. I have never seen one since, also had all of the SS emblems on the body. They were all painted up like circus wagons with the company graphics.

These cars were just small blocks though.

B:)B

14. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

any clues as to where this thing grew up?

Realizing we naturally go towards cops and such, I once ran into a similar car (already restored.)
    It had been owned by a mining company. it was called a "blast rig"- the radios were used to make sure everyone was clear of the blast site, and the siren was the final warning. the big motor and trans were there because it was routinely driven to the bottom of the pit...and back up again.
    I think it had around 24,000 miles on it when it was retired. The one I saw was -get this- yellow and red with black guts.

15. How about some pics!

16. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

Interesting side note-

The fuel injected stripped down "Black Widow" Chevy sedans had matching tow vehicles with the solid lifter engine, manual trans, heavy duty springs and 6-lug wheels. This was done so that when an inspector would dispute something being "stock" they could point to the tow vehicle and show them that it was the exact same way.

17. 32v

32v
    from v.i.

yea i think a picture is in order ...show us your find

18. go to 348-409.com those guys know a lot about anything 409 related

19. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

Sounds like something special and def. worth grabbing!!...
    Cant wait to see the pics of this...

20. am3rober

am3rober

In response to Mike's request to upload the pictures of the roadster we went to Houston to get here it is.
    [​IMG]

21. am3rober

am3rober

Here is another
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. JamesG

JamesG

Where at in Houston did that come from? Thats my home town.

And it's cool to see it come here to Arkansas.

23. usmc50lx

usmc50lx
    from St.Louis

should be factory as chevy built around a thousand or so wagons with the 409, If I remember right and had heard about 2x4 4speed cars, my dad had a 283 6 pass bel air wagon until recently They are neat cars thats for sure how 'bout a resto mod superstock wagon!

24. Flop

Flop

wow looks like that things been sittin out for a looooong time

25. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

can't wait to see this wagon. AWESOME!!

26. am3rober

am3rober

James, the roadster was on a Farm South of Liberty TX which is East of Houston.

27. mmmaxwe

mmmaxwe

Tony,

I think you should start a new thread showing this as a true barn find. I feel the old flat head needs its own special thread for all to enjoy.

MM

28. mmmaxwe

mmmaxwe

As best as we can tell the Ford has been sitting in excess of 40 years. The other Rod we pulled out of the barn next to the Pole Shed has been sitting for 42-43 years.

29. Drag'n 59

Drag'n 59
    from DALLAS, TX

start a new thread for the roadster

30. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

I remember seeing an ATF four door 62 sedan painted white equipped with the hi-po 409 and a four speed in the floor. It was at Holman-Moody speedshop in Charlotte. They were "snugging up" the suspension for the agent to help it hold the road in the curves chasing moonshine guys like Junior Johnson.

It's definitely a rare car and the dealers loved to sell those kind of options because the markups carried a lot of profit in them.