Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 62 Bel Air Daily Driver Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Shane Spencer, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

ill end up keeping the steelies just because they were free and theres tons of colors I can paint em, hubcaps and trim rings I can run. steelies can be done 1,000 ways, and they'll make nice winter rims. but I do loveee supremes

2. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Does anyone know where I can get a stock exhaust for these cars ? Also my whole exhaust hangs below the frame. Like you can see the exhaust from the side of the car. Its driving me insane. Are they supposed to look like that ? Does anyone have an exhasut that tucks up nice under the car. Mine was rigged br the previous owners buddy. I spent 8 hours cutting grinding and welding only to have another rattle occur. Im done with this exhaust

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Heres a sideview. You can see the entire pipe is hanging below the frame. I emailed ecklers late great chevy about there exhaust. I want to find out if there exhaust tucks up to the subframe closer. They have an entire aluminized mandrel bent exhaust system with a stock muffler for $250. I may go that route

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  4. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Yea Im assuming its supposed to tuck up tight like this pic. Im gonna order the stock setup. I have the muffler in the rear right now too. This whole exhaust is rigged lol

[​IMG]

5. scoTT la rock

scoTT la rock
    from NJ

I've got a 64 2-door post Belair too, and with the straight 6 my muffler hangs low in the front section for sure. I'm also lowered and that piece of the pipe is always the piece hitting the ground. If you find a pipe system that will tuck better for a 6 cyl I will be interested in seeing it.

6. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

is yours a stock exhaust or ? im bringing my front end back up some. its whacked the crossmember a few times. last thing I need is a blown pan or smack the hell out of the trans. the ecklers exhaust looks real nice. also where are the stock exhaust hangers located ?

7. BSL409

BSL409

8. Nice more door. I'd drive that anywhere

9. scoTT la rock

scoTT la rock
    from NJ

I'm going to work on my 50 ford today and the chevy is there, so I will take a few pics of it when I get over to the garage.

I got the car with 0 history and it looks relatively new so I'm not sure if its custom or stock. Ill post pics later tonight

10. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Cool thanks man

11. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

I got my vinyl swatches from ezboy. These are the two colors I settled on. The pic doesnt show the blue well at all. But its a deep navy type blue and a pure white. Heres the three seat patterns ive narrowed it down too. The outers will be white with deep blue piping on the seams and the inners where the dots are in the pictures will be the deep blue with two inch vertical pleats. Door panels will have white on the upper six or seven inches and deep blue pleats under that. Im waiting on carpet swatches now. White rear package tray. Dash and window garnishes will be getting a coat of rattle can dark metallic blue from duplicolor, its a gm color. And the steering wheel will be a hyundai pearl white duplicolor. Should be a decent interior for a fair cost. Rattle can should keep costs down and the ezboy alliance discount isnt bad either

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. I get the luv of Spiders but have you thought about some bullets to get you by? Way cheaper than Spiders?

My daily driver's a '62 more-door too, almost a doppelganger situation with the "Rap Video Rims". Too Funny!
    Censored 18" OT wheels
    [​IMG][
    Wow...2.5 coils in the back? I got gunshy and stopped at 1.5, decided to wait on the front cut, I'm enjoying a mild taildragger look for a while since you can't add coils back.
    [​IMG]
    Really like the direction yours is going, loving the interior color choice, mines all business inside. Charcoal dash, seats, and faded booger green originally charcoal carpets... Looking forward to seeing your progress, mines going to be too slow to make it thread worthy.

13. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Were your springs originals, maybe had some wear and tear and sagged over time? Mine were almost brand new. Im bringing the front back up on mine. I want it level or even a very slight taildragger stance kinda like yours. Bitchin car dude

14. Thanks and they were most likely originals, yeah if yours were newer that'd make the difference.
    I was going to cut a half or one out of my front but really enjoying the ride of the nose as it is. Driving down the highway with that stance is a lot of fun, like I'm runnin shine or on my way to a hit.

15. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

I have new two inch lowering spring for the front. It should bring it back up an inch or two. The one coil I had was shorter than the other and I ended up cutting too much before they leveled out. I think it came down like 4 inches lol

16. Jack60

Jack60
    from Maryland

I have my Grandparents 62 Impala 4 door they bought new. Was going to be a drag car but now will be my driver. Picked up a 350 for her and changing the PG to a 4speed manual.

Your 62 looks in very nice shape, enjoy.......

Here is a old picture of my Impala.

Attached Files:

17. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

I jacked the car up to see what ride height id like best. It came up a little over an inch in the second pic. Should be plenty of ride clearance when the new coils get here

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

19. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Put the new 2" drop front coils in tonight. Looks pretty good. They should settle a little more. Clearance is much better too. Ill get pics soon

20. Gman0046

Gman0046

Why not install 2" drop spindles and stop messing with the coils? You'll have a much better ride.

21. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

If I didnt cut too much off the fronts it would have been free. Either way id rather spend the 70 bucks on new front drop spring compared to the 300 bucks for spindles

22. how much for carpet ? pm me

23. slammed

slammed

Carpet is sold to to me!

24. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

the car looks good the way it is.I do like supremes,and they would rock

25. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Slammed howd the carpet work out for ya ?

26. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Got some updates. Got my exhaust redone at a local shop. Super nice work, I dig it. And they relocated the muffler to the stock area and tucked it ip super nice. Got my new carpet in the mail. Its a darker blue. I also opted to go with the older style 80 20 loop carpet this time and also ordered floor mats which are supperrrr nice. The seat upholstery and panel upholstery should be here this week so im super stoked about that. And im ordering reverse supremes this week as well and it should be almost wrapped up for the overall refresh of this car. Gotta spray that dash and trim as well in a deep blue

27. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Heres the new carpet and mats. There very nicely made and were a pretty fair price I thought. The color shows a little lighter in the picture than in person

[​IMG]

28. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

Thanks bud. Heres a test shoot of the interior trim and dash color. Its duplicolor rattlecan and clear. Turned out nice

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]