Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '62-67 Chevy II oil pump on a later 350 block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bobss396, Dec 28, 2015.

1. I'm using an early Chevy II oil pump and pan on my newer 350 with a 3.48" stroke. I figured I may run into a couple of things.. and I did. One of the rod cap bolts had an interference with the pump housing, an easy fix on the Bridgeport.

No hole in the block to secure the pickup tube... not so easy. My brother Will has a great assortment of drill bushings and liners. We bolted the holder to one of the oil pan bolts. Not shown in the pictures is an optical aid that slid into one of the bushings, lined the cross hairs with the center punch mark and we were in business.

Drilled it for a 5/16-18, about 1/2" deep with a drill stop. Everything was masked off before we started. Used a starting tap and a plug tap. The hole was cleaned out with a strong magnet, them a succession of q-tips and WD40. Turned it over, gave the hole a shot of carb cleaner and it was done.
    DSCN0030.JPG DSCN0031.JPG DSCN0034.JPG DSCN0035.JPG

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Spill the beans Bob, you got a Nova you haven't told us about.
    BTW, if you don't know it, you will need the matching Nova intermediate shaft.

4. Nah, going into my Ford until I can dig up a 351C for it. I did a box Nova years back and the swap was plug 'n play with the 283.

As in oil pump drive? That came with the pump.

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Trying to piss off the rabid Ford freaks are ya? Still You run what you got if you want to run rather than sit.

6. aaggie

aaggie

I did the same swap into a 1960 Falcon in 1966 because I needed the front sump oil pan but I don't remember any interference problems with the oil pump. It might just be the brand of pump. I used all Chevy stuff from the parts dept. You do need the odd length drive shaft for the oil pump.
    If anybody else is considering it, I used the five lug hubs and steering linkage from a Falcon Sprint. The rearend was from a '57 Ford station wagon. The car ran really strong for it's day.

7. Sure, why not. They get redder in the face when I call an FE engine a boat anchor. Dollars and cents dictated the decision and I had the 350 on hand.

8. I used a Melling pump and it came with the oil pan and everything else I needed. The last one I did was a shorter stroke (on a 283) and the block must have had the tapped hole for the bracket.