Register now to get rid of these ads!

61' F100 rearend swap?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by usedall9, Jan 28, 2007.

1. usedall9

usedall9

Are there any cars that were equiped with 9" rear ends that are the same width? My rear is almost toast. So I was thinking that if I could find a same width car rearend that the sping perches would already be on the bottom of the axle(for lowering purposes) I know I that I can just relocate the perches on mine, but the rearend is in need of a total overhaul. So I'm looking for an easy dirrect swap if possible.Thanks

2. Why not find one from another F100 and re-locate? They are still everywhere and fairly cheap. Car 9" are more $ from what I've seen. Bolt patterns will likely be different on cars too, so watch for that. Spring perches are pretty easy to swap, just don't over heat the tube!

3. The Catholic

The Catholic
    from Akron Ohio

Any 57-72 ford truck rear will work, they have the same perches and everything.

4. Your rear end is already a 9" unless someone dorked it up. Any 9" passenger car 3rd member will go right in your truck housing, just be sure to get the same Axle spline count. It's just Nutz and Boltz.
    The Wizzard

5. usedall9

usedall9

Thanks guys,
    Ya i was aware that my truck already had a 9". But was just curious as to whether there were compatible car units because ya never what ya might come across in the search for a part. Fortunately I found a good third member at the Long bch. swap today, 4.10's, not sure if it's a posi or not yet, but for the price I wasn't gonna complaine. Thanks for the replies.

6. Just an FYI for anyone following along....the light trucks didn't necessarily have a 9" axle. Through '64 (at least), if you ordered the limited slip option, you got a Dana 44 (which the F-100s used through '56 for everything). Might help somebody who is calling around, trying to find an axle...verify what the seller has. :)

As pointed out, the '57-'72 F-100 axles are interchangable, with the minor exception of shock mount location, which varies. There are some other slight differences, but they don't affect the fit.