Register now to get rid of these ads!

60's vans....practicle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Donzie, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Lon

Lon

Safety is a big thing to keep in mind. In 2004 I was driving a Cab Over Isuzu, designed like a one of these vans. A bus hit me head on. I broke my right ankle and foot. I tore the anterior and posterior ligament in my knee. Broke the tibia in both legs and my thigh bone rammed through my hip bone, crushing it. Not to rain on anyones parade but these and vehicles like these are ones I wont drive or ride in agian. "If and when" does happen.

2. Donzie

Donzie

It looks I've dragged a few of you down memory lane...great stories and info.
    Powerband, mostly it's club gear, we're not ready for the big rigs ....yet.
    And as I said I'll be using it as a daily driver...in the winter, so driveablity is definetly a must.
    I may have to go more "modern" for now. I looked at a '95 Dodge (short) full size van today with a V6. It's not much of a head turner but I guess practicality wins this time. But I still think it could be cool to own one of those '60s hippie wagons. Maybe I could trade the 'Bird for one.

3. oldskoolin

oldskoolin

4. JohnnyP.

JohnnyP.

thought no vw's on here. o well, i always wanted a 62 van, red and white, with green shag carpet, and a sink.

5. Joe King

Joe King

I like mine..

Attached Files:

6. oldskoolin

oldskoolin

vw is the best bus there is:)

7. metalshapes

metalshapes

No thanks...

Slower and less rare than the Alfa Romeo Van I used to own, and I dont even want that one back.

8. Rikster

Rikster

I kind of like this one...

[​IMG]

9. I had a '66 Chevy just out of high school and the cab area warms up good in the winter, but I hung plastic between the front cab and back area which helped a ton. Not the best in the snow.

I think starting in '67 or '68 the Chevy and GMC's had the smallblock as an option.

Man I miss all the "shag carpet and brick paneling" fun that thing had to offer and if I get a chance I'm going to get another one.

10. roddinron

roddinron

Whats with the flower boxes in the bumper?

11. repoguy

repoguy

.....FOR ME TO POOP ON!!!!

[​IMG]

12. oldskoolin

oldskoolin

damn, those vans are the ugliest things i ever saw in my life:eek::D If I drove a van it would be vw(which i have), or I would probably ride any pre 64 car. There are some real nice hotrods on here though:cool:

13. Hell yes they're practical and fun to pinstripe too!! :D ;)

[​IMG]

Joel

14. hemi

hemi

I'm the proud owner of this beauty after "accidently" winning it on Ebay. Still deciding it's fate...pirate the straight axle and 9" and build a gasser, or fix the trans and brakes and drive it....

'66 Supervan, fourth owner, bought new in Sac by the Easter Day janitorial supply company and used until the 80's. It has had only one repaint ayou can still see the lettering underneath. Last registered in 1987.

Attached Files:

15. Well you can start with this.............

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=232102&stc=1&d=1160662554

16. hemi

hemi

On the plus side, my van is almost a gasser...it's got an Econoline straight axle, no front bumper, and a 9". hahahahaha.

17. guiseart

guiseart

Say what you want about vans, this stupid thing turns me on... not sure whether it's the stance, the "bulldog" look, or the fact that I grew up in the 70's when vans were the TREND and I saw these running around everywhere... I LOVE this little sumbitch!