Register now to get rid of these ads!

'60s CAE Sprint Car Update - Bobby Allison Visit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kasultana, Feb 5, 2013.

1. kasultana

kasultana

All,

Been tracking more info down on the car based on clues from HAMB members. Several of you helped me find some info on it and with help of Alex Beam yesterday Bobby Allison came over to the shop to check the car out. He believes he may have driven it once. Story goes Armond Holley was fired as the driver one night. Bobby was hired to drive it. After a couple qualifying laps he blew the motor. So they fixed it and he had to start at the back of the pack. He ended up winning the race.

He's going to check it out for us to be sure since this happened in the early sixties, but, pretty darn encouraging.

Regardless of how it turns out Bobby was an absolute gracious guy, spent alot of time with my family and gave all my boys autographed pictures. My luck was bad as I had to be out of town for the visit but hope to meet him personally soon.

More to come, but, this old sprint car sure has made us some fantastic memories already. Mr. Allison sure is as great a person as he was a driver. I can't wait til we fire it up for the first time in the coming weeks.

Here's a couple pictures
    <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->
    <FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Thumbnails</LEGEND>[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

</FIELDSET>

Attached Files:

2. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

What a cool car. I'd love to have a sprint car one day. And it's nice to hear that such a famous person as Bobby Allison is so gracious.

3. Indy Bones

Indy Bones

Bobby Allison is one of the greatest drivers, warmest human beings, and coolest cats I've ever had the pleasure to know. When you talk about self-made men who made it to the tops of their profession/sport, you're talking about guys like BA. Best of all, the man still has a major appreciation for the little-guy racers doing their thing every weekend on America's short tracks.

Good Lord, what a racer ...

4. kasultana

kasultana

He sure does. Honestly pretty awe struck that he'd take the time with us. Great guy and hope to meet him soon since I had to be in TN.

5. demonspeed

demonspeed

I met Bobby Allison years ago at a racetrack that had a group of historic NASCAR drivers that all got together. At the time I was a huuuuge NASCAR fan. I agree he is an absolutely great guy. Very kind and friendly.

6. Thats extremely cool man! I love those old sprints. Its my dream to own one. Getting to meet Bobby would be just to much man. Really cool!

IMO The best looking race cars ever! 60's F1 cars are next in line.

7. kasultana

kasultana

Very much a surreal experience meeting him for us. Pretty amazing how cars connect us. One of the things that keeps me doing this for sure. Thanks for the comments.

8. very cool - love it when you find provenance on an old race car!

9. Midget25

Midget25

Congradulations on the car and meeting a true legend....................

10. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

11. k9racer

k9racer

Armond Holley could drive the hell out of a race car.. Many owners would give him all the winnings plus more money when he won. and he did a lot.. Post some better photos of the car. Next Q what is the deal on the old Monty in the back ground????????????? I just remembered so I will add more Charlie Padget from Rome drove that car and cars for the hancocks. Also I am sending PM to you with tele no.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  12. kasultana

kasultana

If you check my profile out you can see a buch of pictures of the car as we found it and cleaned up. The Monty is being restored for a customer at the shop. We build rods, vintage race NASCARS, fix up muscle cars etc. I'll look up Charlie Pagett as well. Thanks again for the info.

13. rjaustin421

rjaustin421

Armand Holley said one of the great lines about racing when he shared what it is like when his race car is really hooked up:

"You know your running good when they're going as fast as they can and you're going as fast as you want"

14. eppster

eppster

These older racers would race whenever and whatever they could, that's how they made their living. Take A.J. Foyt, one day he'ld be at a USAC race, the next day at a NASCAR race and the next day at your local sprint car track. The racers of the 50's and 60's were a different breed then most of the drivers we have today, sorta like Gypsys traveling where ever the dollars were.

15. kasultana

kasultana

Agree seems like it. What is making the history of this car so much fun to find out. Thanks again for more info and pictures in previous posts of Armond driving the car when it was black. I'll keep digging and getting it ready to run again

16. k9racer

k9racer

So did my contacts help??? I think the one of the Fryar brothers drove that car some.. I will get a contact for Pate who still runs the Sprint association in Atlanta.. If we still had Hot Rod Elvis on the board he could tell us a lot. It is a shame he quit the board because some computer bullys gave him some shit..

17. PackardV8

PackardV8

Bobby Allison was one of the last who could build a car from the garage floor up and then drive it to the front. To be the best, he worked harder, longer and smarter than anyone else. Tough combination to beat.

jack vines

18. eppster

eppster

For anyone that's interested I had a friend who put a couple of photos of Bobby at a late-model race at Harlan, Iowa on the album on my profile page [ I'm to damn old and dumb to do it myself]. That was the first of three times I got to meet him and I was always struck by what a gentleman he was.

19. kasultana

kasultana

All the contacts help. Both I spoke to including the son of Pete Hancock said verified that Bobby Allison drove the car a couple times as well as Armond Holley, Charlie Pagett, and one of the Fryar brothers. I'm hoping to get some more history from Jay. He still has an engine shop in Athens. Car was last raced in 1980-1981 and came in 5th and 7th in the races. It was bought as a kit in 1962-1963. Great speaking to both of them and have a couple more calls to make but seems the history is true. Thanks again for the help.