Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 60's 1932 3W Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodfab32, Jun 1, 2018.

1. hotrodfab32

hotrodfab32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm going to give this build thread thing a try. Started collecting parts about 15 years ago. Bought a nice stock Model A body and sold it. I was given a 3W body for work done for a couple friends but it was glass and I really wanted a steel one. I sold it last year and was going to buy a Brookville 3W. Just before I did I stumbled across a complete original one that had been started in the 70's but never finished. The frame was boxed with a tube X member installed. Everything else was P&J stuff. The body was stripped and primered. That's as far as it got and sat for 40 yrs. The guy's son had it and needed to sell it. So I made a deal and a friend drove to Arizona to pick it up. No rust, just a little beat up. It's going to be a wicked 60's styled hot rod. The engine will be a BBC with Enderle stack injection. The 396 came out in '65 so that's the period it is being built around.

IMG-2673.jpg IMG_3258.jpg 6157225-1932-ford-3-window-coupe-std.jpg 6157212-1932-ford-3-window-coupe-std.jpg IMG_0530.JPG 6157223-1932-ford-3-window-coupe-std.jpg IMG_0522.JPG

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

3. elgringo71

elgringo71

Looks like you got a pretty good one. I am watching to see how it comes together

4. catdad49

catdad49

Should be Good!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

very bueno. It already IS good.

6. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Dang:D . Lucky guy:cool:

7. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love my 396. Ill be watching!

8. hotrodfab32

hotrodfab32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The chassis with the car was not going to work for I wanted to do. It was 4 bar and the x-member too low so it was sold. A frame that was ordered from Blackboard Hot Rods several years ago will be used. It was ordered without any front or rear cross members so I could do what I want with the suspension. He does very nice work. I have the fixtures and have built a few from scratch but for what he charges its not worth what I save after considering the
    materials.

s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600.jpg

First thing was to establish ride height. I want it to be as low as practical.

IMG_3327.JPG

9. junkyardgenius

junkyardgenius
    from Kernow

WOW. This looks intresting. I,ll be back.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  10. hotrodfab32

hotrodfab32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Before I went any further i needed a rearend. I had a good aluminum Halibrand 301 center section I had bought years ago so I started with that. QTE Bruce on here started reproducing the plates to adapt early Ford trumpets to the Champ rear so I bought a pair. I also found a NOS Franklin lower shaft, used Gold Trac differential, NOS Halibrand front bearing retainer and NOS Richmond 4.10 ring and pinion. There are several threads on what has to be done to use the plates on the HAMB so I won't go through everything. I'll just highlight a few problems I ran into.

The Gold Trac looked good after I got it apart. I narrowed the housings in my lathe.

IMG_2988 small.jpg IMG_2999 small.jpg IMG_3001 small.jpg

When test fitting everything I found that the trumpets wouldn't fully seat against the adapter plates. I think these are 1939. The ribs on the backsides were hitting on plates. To keep as much material as possible, I marked the ribs up. Then trumpets were set on the plates and rotated to see where they were contacting each other. I notched them then remarked them and did it again until they no longer hit.
    IMG_2989 small.jpg IMG_2990 small.jpg
    There was still a small gap, about .010, when trying to put them together so I marked the plate and sat the trumpet on it and rotated it. Found the lip on the trumpet was hitting in the radius of the plate counter bore. I ground a little off the lip and everything was fine.

IMG_2996 small.jpg IMG_2994 small.jpg

The ring gear OD was big enough that it hit the pinion support bearing boss in the case. The case was set up on the mill, center was found and a radius 1/32 bigger than the ring gear cut with a boring head.

IMG_3030 small.jpg IMG_3031 small.jpg

The Richmond quickchange used separate cup and cone bearings spaced apart on the pinion. I assume for more side support than the single double cup bearing used on most other quickchanges. Since I already bought the standard Halibrand double cup bearing, I adapted it to the pinion. The Richmond pinion's threads for the nut to retain the bearings don't go as far down the shaft because the double stack is much taller. I had bought a standard locking retainer nut for the pinion. I bore out some of the threads so it would screw on as far as it would have on a regular pinion. Then a spacer was made so it was hitting the pinion bearing when the nut was in that position. I didnt have a pinion bearing retainer plate so I made one with the right depth.

IMG_3011 small.jpg IMG_3012 small.jpg IMG_3025 small.jpg

Thanks to Bruce for giving me all of the bearing numbers. The housing was bare when I bought it so I didn't have old ones to get numbers from. The rest of the rearend is the same as setting up any other quickchange.

IMG_3441 small.jpg

Attached Files:

winr, Just Gary, dave plmley and 21 others like this.
  11. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

If there was a "super like" button, I would hit it with a hammer. But until then, you just get a "like". Fantastic setup...

-Brent-, Lil'Alb, Kan Kustom and 5 others like this.
  12. Sounds like a good build to fallow, I'm in

13. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Gonna be interesting.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. brady1929

brady1929

Congrats. Great hot rod.

15. hotrodfab32

hotrodfab32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of the first things I bought 15 years ago was an Enderle Injection manifold. I'd rather not have any electronics on the car but to use it reliably on the street I'll have to convert it to EFI. I'm going to try to hide it the best I can. That and a TKO600 5 speed will be the only modern things on the car.

First thing was to mount the injectors in the manifold. It was set up on the mill and the bosses for the original ones were milled away. To keep the injectors as low as possible, pockets were milled as deep as possible for adapters. The original 1/8 pipe holes were opened up to 7/16-20 for adapters to screw into. A 1/4-20 drilled and tapped hole was put between each pair of injectors for a hold down bracket. The holes were stripped in the water bosses. They were counter bored then retapped. All of the bolt holes were spotfaced to get rid of the damage from using lock washers

IMG-3097 small.jpg IMG_3099 small.jpg IMG_3103 small.jpg

16. Deuces

Deuces

Nice!!!!!....... :cool:

lothiandon1940 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  17. clem

clem

Impressive !
    We are all thankful that you are no longer a lurker.
    Neat car. You obviously have great ability.
    Will be watching with interest.
    Thanks for posting.

18. hotrodfab32

hotrodfab32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks. I'll post the rest of the intake conversion as soon as I get time.

19. hotrodfab32

hotrodfab32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stainless adapters were made that the injectors would fit in. The barrel valve is two pieces. A new top half was made and 2 ports for supply and return fuel were made to feed the bottom half. The arm that originally controlled the barrel valve now hooks to a shaft in the same place that goes through the block to the throttle position sensor on the other side. An arm to control both butterfly shafts is mounted to the top of it. A lot of crap in a little space. I'll reuse the bottom half that the rubber hoses go to for the injectors. Other than the sensor it looks like the old one.
    IMG_3105.JPG IMG_3113 small.jpg IMG_3112 small.jpg IMG_31145 small.jpg

Caps with tapped holes were made to go on top of the injectors for the rubber lines to screw into. Hold down brackeys and spacers are bolted onto the holes put in earlier between the injectors hold everything in. The same rubber hose Enderle uses, crimp fittings and sleeves were used to make hoses to feed the injectors. When everything is assembled, it looks close to original. To get a vaccum signal and control idle, holes will be drilled and tapped from under neath into the throttle bores and connected to a reservoir attached to the bottom of the manifold later on.

IMG_3115 small.jpg IMG_3116 small.jpg IMG_4075 hamb.jpg IMG_4081.JPG

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    Just Gary, Lil'Alb, RatPwrd and 26 others like this.
  20. Tim_with_a_T

Tim_with_a_T

21. hotrodfab32

hotrodfab32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As I said before, boxed rails and an x-member from Black Board Hot Rods was the start of the chassis.
    IMG_3328.jpg
    The ladder bars are made from 36 wishbones. The Halibrand Indy Roadster wheels being used only have 2-1/2 backspace. To keep the tires tucked in I have to use a narrow Posies 44" Model A spring with tapered leafs. Even then the shackles are very close to the backing plates. Because of this the spring hangers on the wishbones couldn't be used. I cut them off and boxed them so it doesnt look like something is missing on the ends. After that I drilled holes in the webs.

IMG_3376.jpg LADDER HOLES.jpg

Sleeves were made for urethane bushings and welded to the fronts. To add a tube on top for strength I added tabs that tie everything together in the front. Clevises were welded to the front of the bars and threaded buugs for clevises in the back. The backs don't have to be threaded because the wishbone mount solid. I just thought it looked better. Brackets and tabs were added between the bar and bone for more strength.

IMG_3384.jpg

The cross member in the x-member the frame came with had to removed and a new one added further forward for the ladder bars to mount to. Brackets for the rearend were made out of 3/8. The frame was c-notched 2-1/2 deep and reinforcement plates added above them. If I box the rails they are put inside the rails before the boxing plates are added.

IMG_3391.jpg

An original Model A crossmember was used with threaded sleeves added to mount the spring.

IMG_3401.jpg

Pete and Jakes spring hangers were cut and offset an inch to keep the rearend as narrow as possible. Two narrow gussets were added to each bracket for strength. A single wide one would have hit the frame during suspension travel.

IMG_3435.jpg IMG_3441.jpg IMG_3440.jpg

22. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I sure miss build threads like this, thanks for sharing.

23. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

I love what you're doing on the injection.
    I have a nos small port Hilborn manifold that I would love to do the same thing to.
    What injectors are you using?
    From here did you get the injector adaptors , and are they available to me?

24. Whoah !!! ( BITCHIN' ! ) :eek: :cool: :)

lothiandon1940 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. Watching!

26. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like a great mix of 1964 vs 2018 to me. Excellent lookn’ work! I’ll be along for the ride.

27. You are an excellent craftsman! This is a very cool project!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Awesome engineer. Looks great.

29. hotrodfab32

hotrodfab32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The injectors are Corvette LS7. They should support up to 550-600 HP. I made the adapters for them. The injectors and hose were the only things that were bought. Adapters are available to screw into the 1/8 NPT threads the manifolds have. I just went through a bunch of extra work to hide them the best that I could.