Register now to get rid of these ads!

60 MPG - Trad Rod Style?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chuckspeed, Mar 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

I had a 360cc Subaru R-2 when I was stationed in Japan in the late 70s. Was by no means fast, but a ton of fun to drive. Since it had no noticeable excess power, you could drive it like a race car all the time, and the only one that would know was you. Had a four gallon gas tank, filled it up every month. Really a shitbox of a car, but bought it cheap, drove it hard, and it got me around pretty well for over three years.

If you were a little more ambitious, I think almost any kind of ordinary motorcycle engine in the 750-1500cc range would make it go like stink.

2. Gent in Newport, Arkansas has a glass full fendered 32 For Vicky with an Isuzu four hole deisel motor. Drives it all over the country and gets 50 mpg plus.

3. Rex Schimmer

Rex Schimmer
    from Fulton, CA

My lakes style roadster is going to be 1400-1500 lbs, I am using a 2000 cc Ford Zetec engine, Hilborn electronic injection, T5 tranny, early Hildebrand quickien and I fully expect over 30-40 MPG when she is in in over drive with 3.50 gears in the QC.
    Rex

4. Did someone say Moto-Guzzi??

Powertrain here is 1100 Guzzi.

[​IMG]

5. tjm73

tjm73

I think 60 mpg is a bit lofty of a goal. Most motorcycles in the US can't deliver 60 mpg. The Suzuki GS500 gets about 50 mpg on average, makes about 55 hp and weighs about 400 pounds.

6. repoguy

repoguy

damn, I don't like 3 wheelers too much but that Guzzi is sweet.

7. chuckspeed

chuckspeed

No, it's not...

The issue with a bike isn't weight - it's aerodynamics. If you've ever participated in a car/bike race; the bike pulls away initally, but if the car has the beans to hang with the bike, it will eventually overtake the two-wheeler on the top end.

8. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

Funny, 3 days ago, I was at the Imperial Palace in LV and saw the black Morgan on pg.1 and was wondering why there aren't some modern HD V2 versions.

I'd make it rear drive. It would be cool, fast, sound good and have plenty of speed parts available.

You could use the back half of a wrecked bike. a T-bucket and use a simple and nearly free VW steering and front suspension

9. kcolborne

kcolborne

10. Rand Man

Rand Man

I'd really like to build a midget. It's very traditional. It would be fun to buzz around in a big go-kart.

Attached Files:

11. Good Wood

Good Wood
    from pa

That was built a couple of years ago by the Swedish dude on Boyd Coddington's crew, for a downhill race similar to a big $$ soap box derby. Pretty kool looking. It actually finished the race pretty well against big-time factory sponsored cars that compete every year.

12. Good Wood

Good Wood
    from pa

[QUOTE="HOTROD";1842963]I don't know anything about this or who's it is but it came to mind when I saw the title to this thread,

Just add small motor....[/QUOTE]
    I was referring to this green one.

13. Rand Man....I'll sell you this project. :)

Attached Files:

14. tjm73

tjm73

Maybe some bikes, but crotch rockets.....even the 600's now.....will walk most every street car in the long run. 600 Supersport bikes are running in the 10's off the showroom floor nowadays and the bigger bikes are faster yet. So your statement may have a bit of truth to it, but not a lot.

But the key is aerodynamics for sure. Whether it's a bike or a car, good aerodynamics help mpg.

15. tjm73

tjm73

Post #92 is the one you are talking about I think.

16. gilty

gilty
    from Pacific NW

This thread inspired this friday art show sketch...
    [​IMG]

17. JSBriggs

JSBriggs
    from Auburn, CA

Just another option. The messerschmitt car.

[​IMG]

-Jeff

18. chuckspeed

chuckspeed

Y'know...I had a chance to test the theory about two weeks back; the bike (a Yam FJR) and the DD went at it from a 75 roll. Car jumped bike 2 lengths; bike took most of it back from 75-100, then hung at the back bumper to terminal velocity.

19. chuckspeed

chuckspeed

THAT looks effin' bitchin. REALLY like it!

20. Zumo

Zumo

What about 2 rear wheels? Why could you get 2 motors to power each rear wheel.

21. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

should've tried to with something that wasn't an overweight touring bike... :D

22. zzford

zzford

I have recently been toying with the idea of a VW based vehicle, 3 wheel, built like an older light aircraft. Plywood bulkheads with spruce stringers then covered with aircraft fabric. Dope the fabric then add your paint. Very light construction and an aerodynamic shape would certainly add up to good mileage. A powertrain of your choosing could be used instead of the VW.

23. ProEnfo

ProEnfo
    from Motown

How about something a little more 'traditional' ? :D

CC

Attached Files:

24. Z48LT1

Z48LT1

25. OLLIN

OLLIN

HOLY CRAP! no freaking way...I was just thinking about sketching something almost exactly like this the other day but I hadn't gotten around to doing it. Someone build this quick!

26. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

Have you seen his DD? Talk about overweight...Roadmaster wagon!

27. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

I WAS JUST ABOUT TO POST PICS OF THIS SAME CAR.... I NEED TO FIND MY VEGAS PICS FROM LAST YEAR. THIS MUSUEM IN THE TROPICANA WAS PRETTY COOL.

28. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Here's my two examples. They were both daily drivers for a while, but were sold for other vehicles.

1968 Plymouth Valiant - 32 MPG freeway!!
    [​IMG]
    I was getting an honest 32+ mpg freeway, 28-29 mpg town with this thing, and I savagely beat on it everytime we went out.
    225 slant six with capacitive discharge ignition, headers, 4 speed OD tranny, 3.23 one legger, and a few holes in the floorpan. Looked like shit, ran like gold.

1950 Dodge Coronet Sedan - roughly 25-27 MPG freeway (no speedo, but calculated the gallons vs. miles)
    [​IMG]
    We put a slant six into this, with electronic ignition, and a 3 speed stick, with a 2.76 rearend, and roughly calculated the mileage to be in the high 20's on the freeway going to Paso one year. There was little to no real engineering involved. It was a blast with open 2" pipes, and had it been a TWO DOOR, we may have kept it.

I just wonder what the Valiant's drivetrain would have gotten in a dropped and channeled fenderless Model A roadster with a track nose.... Hmmmm......

29. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Get 10 MPG and commute shorter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.