Register now to get rid of these ads!

'60 F100 motor swap!!!?!?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Knoxville, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Knoxville

Knoxville

I've been workin on a '60 F100. Always wanted one and finally got one to turn into my daily driver.
    It's got a 262 (industrial version of the 223) that runs good, gettin a little tired. Doesnt have quite enough power as it sits with a stock 1 bbl.

I love seeing built up 6 cylinders, and wouldnt mind havin one.....
    Trying to decide whether or not to invest 800 or more into the old 6 (intake, carb, split header, exhaust system)
    OR
    spend the 800 on puttin a SB Ford in it....i can get a FREE running late model 302 (5.0)......which i'd put a carburetor on, none of that injected/computerized bullshit.

I'd like to have a nice lookin 6 under the hood, but the question is, which way's smarter and more practical for a daily driver?

Just lookin for some opinions and feedback.....MAYBE some other ideas???
    Like a 300....?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Vendome

Vendome

Well it's just my opinion mind you, but you seem pretty dead set against a Y Block considering you made no mention of it. There are plenty of 292's around. With a four barrel and a late distributor you'll have plenty of poop! And they sound great to! By the way that's a good lookin' truck. Keep in clean and simple. Good luck!

3. junkiegene

junkiegene
    from anaheim

I have a 300 in my 55 F-100, ever since 97. 4 barrell Holly, EFI Headers, lots of head work. Fun to have but 5.0 would of been much cheaper.

4. olskool34

olskool34

I dig the idea of keeping the 6, I like em but it's up to you, how much do you want to spend and what do you want when it is done? I second the idea of a y block, they are nice motors when done up.

5. 10bucks

10bucks

+1 on the y-block idea. It would bolt in and give good power. The sound of a y-block dualed out is truly unique. Nice 60, one of those is on my shopping list.

6. davis574ord

davis574ord

Good lookin truck re-do the six they r cool what type of wheels r those thanx

7. Just Jones

Just Jones

Ok, you want it for a daily driver and you can get a free 5.0? You can't lose with that. It will be fun to drive and reliable.

You want a kick ass hot rod truck that you are proud to pop the hood on? Stick a Y block in there. Find a good running used one, as rebuilds cost $2500 or so. Also very reliable, but not as cheap/easy to get parts for as the Mustang 5.0.

Six bangers are cool, but just not enough for a truck that big. My 2 cents worth.

8. conormulroney

conormulroney

That is a great looking truck you have. I drive a 223 powered '54 as a daily driver and it may not be the fastest kid on the block, but it is dead nuts reliable. Does the SBF come with a tranny? If not, you would probably have to add that expense into the swap cost, too.
    Feel free to PM me if you decide to pull out the 262. I might be interested.
    Conor

9. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I with conormulroney, the 223 was a really reliable and dependable power plant, but sure was not a world better at top end.

I have recently done a thread where I was installing a Cleveland into my 1960 F100 but ended up using a 283 SBC as it fitted better.

Your call on engine choice, but I also had a 61 with a 292 Y block and I got to say that was just a great truck with plenty of power and torque.

May I suggest you consider increasing your rear axle ratio as for the 223 it will 3.9:1 and with a V8 you should be looking at 3.5:1 or better.

Let us know what you decide.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  10. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Free 302 into 60 F-100 swap.......
    $100.00 for econo transmission and motor mounts
    $50.00 rubber pads
    $100.00 for trans cooler, fittings and lines
    $200.00 for decent auto shifter
    $200.00 for intake
    $450.00 for carb
    $100.00 to have drive shaft cut to auto length.
    $30.00 U joints
    $200.00 ++ exhaust system
    $200.00 new non EFI Dizzy
    $100.00 new temp, Oil pressure gauges and fittings
    $ 50.00 non EFI mechanical fuel pump
    $ 75.00 dress up kit
    $ 175.00 rear sump pan and oil pump pick up
    $ 100.00 junk yard parts to convert serpentine to V groove or fan parts for serpentine

Cost to install free 302 $2130.00

This is assuming you are using that an auto transmission comes with the motor. If you go 302 manual trans the cost will be higher.

Y block
    $1000.00 for a good running Y motor complete.
    $ 75-100 junk yard truck bell
    $ 75-100 front motor mount and must weld in ear to front crossmember
    $ 300.00 1957 car rear exit headers
    $ 300.00 to cut and bend headers to clear and exhaust

Y motor install $1800

FE, Cleveland, and other motors would be comparable to 302 for install plus cost of engine.

It would probably cost around $1000.00 more or less to rebuild the six, depending on what you did yourself.

11. 100% Matt

100% Matt

12. It's getting hard to find parts for a 262, plus they are expensive....it's kind of an orphan. I have one, and am debating rebuilding it or swapping. I think the Y-block idea is the best.....now to find one.....

13. Knoxville

Knoxville

I had the Y block 272 out of my 55 a couple years ago......sold the whole drivetrain, shouldn't have done that, ran good too. That's an expensive route though....
    I'm trying to stay as cheap as possible, i've already got my fun hot rod, this is gonna be my daily driver, just want enough power to get up the hills.

Thanks for all the input.

Conor: i'll let you know about the motor, might be a couple months though.

100% Matt: DID you have any major problems/setbacks putting that SBF in your 58? I'm probably going to keep the old 4 speed in it, since i have a 2:73 gearset......

14. Dan10

Dan10
    from Joplin

I would be surprised if the 262 is actually a 262. If it truly is a 262, put the crank from it into a 223 and you have a nice stroker motor. Check out ford trucks . com and ask questions. The 262 cranks are rare to find and you could have a hopped up 223 that would do your daily driver needs and be cool as hell.

15. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

Small block ford won't bolt up to the 223/262 bellhousing and you can't find one for a small or big block that will fit the trans besides Y blocks. So, you HAVE to replace the trans, no way around it, been there tried that. It is easy enough to swap engines with some trans dapt or similar mounts. Find a complete 302/auto carbureted, swap the radiator, add a tranny cooler and shifter and you should be good to go. Also, have a driveshaft built.

16. Hey Knoxvile, did you get that f100 from the Citrus Heights area on Craigslist? I remember one just like that listed. I'm finishing up a rebuilding on my 292 in my 60, its a great way to go!

17. Knoxville

Knoxville

Yes, it IS a 262, checked the numbers on the block, and the fuel pump is mounted on the timing cover. Putting the crank in a 223 would require different rods too right?

18. Knoxville

Knoxville

I thought the old non--syncro 4 speeds were the same as the newer syncro 4 speeds.....? if they are, and can interchange bellhousings, i should be able to find one from a late 60's truck or bronco.....?

Yes, it's the same truck, it was a friend of mine trying to sell it since last September. Had my eye on it, finally got some cash and he gave me a great deal, even threw on those old military style steelies, extra tires, and a couple old beach cruiser bicycles.

19. The Big M

The Big M

Fordsix.com is a good source of info.

From what I've read, installing the 262 crank in a 223 would require extensive clearancing of the block. It would be silly since you already have a complete running 262, and you'd actually be giving up displacement if you were to use 223 (or similar diameter) pistons. I think if you were serious about keeping and rebuilding the 262 you'd be better off to find some combination of rod and piston that would bring the piston crown closer to the deck for better compression and quench (I've heard stock replacement 262 pistons are hard to find). Then you could add some performance goodies like an intake and exhaust headers.

It would be cool and unique, but could get very pricey.

20. 100% Matt

100% Matt

I bought my truck with the 302/C6 combo already installed. I would like to swap to an AOD or C4 at some point

21. krackerjack88

krackerjack88
    from Fresno,Ca

22. Dan10

Dan10
    from Joplin

If the 262 needs a rebuild, pistons can be hard to find. If you can find pistons or just need to re-ring it, it should make some stout torque and with proper gearing move pretty good. The 262 was a big truck motor after all. I just think the 223 stroker has loads of cool factor but it is not worth destroying a good 262 just for the crank. Longer rods would also need to be sourced.

23. I say Y-Block, of course, you'll not regret it.

24. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

25. Just Jones

Just Jones

Nice video! That is one bad-ass sounding Y Block - what is the exhaust your running? How about the cam?

Hope the 312 I just dropped in my '56 runs that hard.

26. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

It's not mine, I wanted to show how nice a Y can be. I had one in a 63 250, very fun engine.

27. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Knoxville, I have a suggestion. Find a Y block engine and truck bell housing. You might as well try to find a 312 but the 292 was offered in trucks through 1964.
    Drive your truck as is for now. Build the Y, pull the beloved six and store it. I promise It wont eat much. If you ever want to build up the six there she is. A Y block and that type six are as close to interchangeable as you can get with a Ford.

If I'm correct the 262 was not offered until 1961. So your truck may have come from the factory with a 292 but most likely it came with a 223. If it did indeed come with a V8 the ear for the V8 mount will be on the front cross member.

You hear all kinds of bullshit about Y block engines. The most common is they do not oil the top end well. The valve train design does not really call for great gobs of oil on this engine. Secondly it has mechanical lifters so there will be some lifter noise. Thirdly, since only "car nuts" properly maintained their vehicles in those days of SAE non detergent oils, the low pressure rocker system would stop up on a very poorly maintained engine. The remedy, disassemble the the rocker shaft clean it and make sure passages are clear. Fourthly, Some inexperienced re builders install the cam bearings wrong blocking the oil to up top.
    As far as mileage goes, a 60 F-100 reminds me of the F-4 Phantom jet of the same era. "With enough thrust the F-4 is proof that a brick could fly." The same can be said about the Fridge Boxes. Whatever power plant you use the mileage is not going to be stellar for that vehicle. So you might as well have some fun with a vintage reliable engine, which is what the Y and 262 are.

28. So a straight 6 in a 57 1.5 ton flatbed would be a 223?

And I assume the 6 in my 60 panel truck is a 223..

the motor in the 57 is rebuilt, I just havent gotten around to pulling it out.

That would be extra cool if it was a straight swap.

As for the original poster's question, I vote for yblock.
    Putting the 5.0 in is a pain. I did that once already.
    Theres a rebuilt Yblock for sale in the classifieds..not cheap, but worth it.

29. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

If the Ford Factory shop manuals are correct, then yes its a 223 in both vehicles. Also the 262 and 223 should interchange with no problem just like a 292-312 or 260-289-302 engines do in their vehicles. The 223-262 should also interchange with the 1952 F-1 215.

My information shows the 262 available from 61-64 as an option and for industrial applications. Odd ball industrial engines in this era of Fords tend to be V8s. The HD Y V8s like the 302 were of Lincoln origin.