Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 60 Chevy truck brake/clutch mc as 2 pot brake mc?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deto, Dec 4, 2014.

1. deto

deto

So I found a thread on here about running the 60's Chevy truck brake/clutch mc as strictly a brake mc.

The only opinion on it was "you can't do that"

If this is true, can somebody explain why?

I know the brake side has a 1" bore and the clutch has 1.125" bore, but it could be sleeved down to a 1".

Why wouldn't this work?

2. squirrel

squirrel

Why make it complicated? just use the original m/c

3. deto

deto

I don't want it under the floor and I am scared to run a single...

4. squirrel

squirrel

dang kids these days.... some of us have been driving around with single master cylinders for decades.

5. redo32

redo32

If your running discs on the front the 1.125 bore should be ok. Nothing like a double post to keep us running around in circles.

6. deto

deto

You could use the exercise. I'm just here to help.

7. deto

deto

Do you know if the truck mc is a true dual reservoir?

8. 55willys

55willys

deto likes this.
  9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You seem to be wanting the safety benefit from a dual circuit mastercylinder system, but I don't think what you are proposing will accomplish that. The reason being, if one of the twin cylinders fails, the balance bar will have no resistance at all on the failed side and will not transfer all the pedal motion to the remaining good cylinder. The geometry will change unfavorably. With a true dual circuit M/C the pistons are, as you know, in tandem, and the failure of one does not change the geometry of the pedal mechanism, though it might affect travel a small amount.

The 'balance bar' system was not commonly employed to offer dual brake system safety, but as a means of easily adjusting brake bias, front to rear, or perhaps, even side to side (roundly round), on racing car appications.

Ray

10. deto

deto

Gotcha. That makes sense. I could devise a design that doesn't "balance" but achieves the desired result.

11. deto

deto

I looked at running the Wildwood triple under dash set up... If my idea won't work then I guess that's my next option.

12. squirrel

squirrel

...or just use a single brake M/C, like everyone did in 1964.

13. Deto,

I have seen it done but only on brake systems that were not properly balanced as in the front and the rear needs different bore masters to work properly not balanced.

If you want to do something totally trad and different from the more modern solution get yourself two jelly jar master cylinders. They are the most common single master made, readily available at any auto parts counter ( think '65 Chevy truck here or '65 galaxie) and cheap. Now mount them side by side on the firewall and use a balance bar between the operated by your brake peddle.

Simple and different than what you commonly see.

14. deto

deto

I thought about running that set up. Hopefully it will fit on the firewall access panel on 49-54 Chevy sedans

15. Deto, I just tried this a few months ago and here is the real problem. If you intend to transplant a hang pedal assembly anything similar to the geometry of the one the BMC/CMC work in you more than double the pedal pressure required to generate the previous pressure needed to stop the car at the wheel cylinder. By splitting the MC you go from 0.785" squared piston area to 1.78" squared piston area at the MC. With similar pedal geometry your pedal pressure increases by 2.26X

16. wvenfield

wvenfield

You just have to grab the emergency brake and pull it. :D

17. If you read Cody Walls thread on his (amazing) '59 Chevy wagon real close you find a mention that he sleeved his "Dual Master Cylinder" down to something under 3/4" I think. You can do the math by calculating the present master cylinder piston area, the total wheel cylinder area it applies pressure to, and the mechanical advantage the pedal geometry applies. If you can match all those with a dual master, or add power assist, you might end up with something that works. Or do as Jim suggests and stick with what GM designed that has worked for decades.

18. wvenfield

wvenfield

What's wrong with running it under the floor? Sure it's not quite as convenient but set up correctly you shouldn't have to mess with it much at all. They make slick dual floor units.

19. deto

deto

Didn't even think of that. Good call.

20. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

For what it is worth....
    Classic parts of America makes a bracket that will allow you to use a 67 or 68 chevy dual pot M/C. They also sell the M/C if you want to get it from them.

I know it doesn't answer the question but you do get a dual pot M/C; though it is under floor. If you suck at metal fab as much as I do you can do a bolt in.

I have pondered a dual master in my truck since city driving involves a lot of morons that tailgate and panic stop.

21. squirrel

squirrel

adding a dual M/C will not make the brakes work better, it will only help prevent a catastrophe due to parts failure, such as a leak in the system. But only if you install the dual M/C properly...you need to check that it's working right, by opening a bleeder and see if you still have pedal. Repeat with a bleeder at the other end of the vehicle..

59Apachegail likes this.
  22. 409ina49

409ina49
    from Ohio

Not sure if this is gonna help, but here's what I built for my AD truck.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1417815280.170194.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!