Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. [​IMG]
    George Pendergast
    [​IMG]
    George Peters
    [​IMG]
    George Peters
    [​IMG]
    George Summers
    [​IMG]
    George Summers

2. [​IMG]
    George Summers
    [​IMG]
    George Seiderer
    [​IMG]
    George Seiderer, check out the headlights hahahaha awesome shot
    [​IMG]
    George Savary 131 and Reino Tulonen 732
    [​IMG]
    George Zezutek

3. [​IMG]
    George Zezutek
    [​IMG]
    George Zezutek
    [​IMG]
    George Tet
    [​IMG]
    George Wagner
    [​IMG]
    George Wagner III chased down by George Wagner, I hope this is right because the photo id reads that!

4. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

[George Wagner III chased down by George Wagner, I hope this is right because the photo id reads that![/QUOTE]

That's funny, a little gun shy huh?

5. Had to be, if I was wrong, I'd know you'd be there to correct me hahaha! Still not sure if I'm right, but sometimes you got pray and hope to be right when reading the photo id's .....lol

6. I love the photo in 1232 of George Peters 8X. Look at the grandstands of Islip Speedway. The stands were always filled to over flowing. Boy, do I ever miss that track.

7. That's funny, a little gun shy huh?[/quote]

When we have an expert like you around, you'd better believe it Rich! LOL.
    Now I know you've got albums full of your photography work, too bad you can't find the time to scan and post.

8. weathrmn

weathrmn

Picture 1231, George Kostelanski flipping, this is at Flemington, the back stretch.The object of the game was to keep it between the boards, however if you climbed the boards, this was the result.He was shook up, but O.K., the car needed heavy attention. George was a very strong runner in the sportsman division.

Tony

9. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Now I know you've got albums full of your photography work, too bad you can't find the time to scan and post.[/QUOTE]

If I could get the negs to digital as prints in quantity, I would maybe post them maybe on the Jam as a regular thing?

10. the Jam??????? no love for the pitstoppitbull??? lol I know my site is video but come on! lol We can slide show to music hahaha I'll find something, we have to get them negatives done man!

11. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's mine. I posted on an earlier thread but it didn't seem to go anywhere. This is a "Modified Stock Car", not a "Super-Modified". As I understand it, a "Super-Modified" has an aftermarket (pro-built) chassis. My car is completely home built.

<HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    I found this in a farmers field about 20 years ago. It was pretty complete (CAE in/out box, Frankland quickie, Buick finned drums, etc.), but had no engine. Bought a '54 331 for $29 at the Chickashaw swap meet the year of the Halloween bizzard ('91). Ran the engine stock for a couple of years before I spun a bearing. I then went all the way and had the engine redone with 12.5 JE pistons, an Engle roller tappet cam, a Cirello "Frankenstein" magneto and a couple of 2GC's adapted to a dual quad intake manifold. The thing runs fabulous. So I get this all done, and I find the detailed history of the car. It was built in 1965 in Jackson, MN and was track champion at Jackson and Fairmont in '66 and '67, driven by a guy name Jack McCorkell, who was quite a sprint car driver in the midwest in the '70's and '80's. It was also the Minnesota State Stock Car Champion (whatever that means) in 1966. I also found out it ran a '324 Olds engine back in the day. Through a bunch of dumb luck, I have managed to compile a 2 inch thick pile of documentation for this car. Old race programs, a two page article from the Jackson paper in June of '66, etc.

I met one of the two brothers who built the car (who has since passed on) and got permission from him to run the original lettering and colors from him. He authenticated the car, as did a bunch of his nephews and grandchildren. I had it on display at the Minnesota State Fair this year, and was amazed by how many people from southern Minnesota still recognized the car.:)

I now have an Olds engine in the shop, but I don't know what I'm going to do since the Hemi runs good and strong, and with what I've done to the hemi, it's not good for anything other that racing.:D

I've had a lot of fun with this, but with fuel prices, racetrack insurance and all, I may be all done. I prepared to go to three vintage races this last summer, but all three were cancelled at the last minute because of low car counts.:mad: Oh well, I can always fire it up at night and annoy the neighbors.:)

Attached Files:

12. I think George is gone. Talked to his brother at Bel-Air Plaza at Daytona the week of Thanksgiving. Neat old stories.

13. [​IMG]
    Gerald Chamberlin
    [​IMG]
    Gerald Chamberlin
    [​IMG]
    Gerry Dinnen
    [​IMG]
    Gery Dinnen
    [​IMG]
    Barbara Gamache

14. [​IMG]
    Johnny Coy behind the wheel
    [​IMG]
    Bill Sinclair
    [​IMG]
    George Hulse
    [​IMG]
    George Hulse
    [​IMG]
    George Hulse

15. [​IMG]
    Art McKenna, George Hulse and Jack Reinhart
    [​IMG]
    V8 Stude of George Hulse
    [​IMG]
    Fred Gallo
    [​IMG]
    Gil Hearne

16. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

17. well you asked here they are.... I guess you asked but here they are anyway...photos!
    Sunday
    [​IMG]
    Gil Hearne
    [​IMG]
    Gil Hearne
    [​IMG]
    Gil Hearne
    [​IMG]
    Gino Spada
    [​IMG]
    Gino Spada

18. Thanks Rich blame my sources they seem to fail me now and again.....not sure who they are, they might have memory lapses every now and again!
    [​IMG]
    Gino Spada
    [​IMG]
    Gino Spada
    [​IMG]
    Gino Spada
    [​IMG]
    Gino Spada
    [​IMG]
    Cherokee Garage, love this shot.

19. [​IMG]
    Glynn Shafer's motor sits about 30 feet away
    [​IMG]
    Glynn Shafer
    [​IMG]
    Glenn Guthrie and Jackie McLaughin
    [​IMG]
    Glenn Ford
    [​IMG]
    Glen Fitzcharles

20. [​IMG]
    George LeBlanc
    [​IMG]
    Gino Spada
    [​IMG]
    Gino Spada
    [​IMG]
    Gober Sosebee
    [​IMG]
    Gober Sosebe

21. Don't blame me Pete, I only turned you onto this stuff when you were a newborn. From there on in you were on your own.

22. big-daddy-george

big-daddy-george
    from New York

23. ron kramer

ron kramer
    from penna.

Thanks everone for these pics. I'm an open wheel racer, but, I'm a race fan at heart. One of my favs. as a kid was Johnny Coy in the midgets at Hershey,(Pa.) Stadium.
    Hey George LeBlanc, I probly never saw you race, but, YOU strapped in and thats all that counts! Thanks and Happy Hollidays to you.

24. George my pleasure wish I had some more, I know you got some somewhere in a pile, maybe in the bottom of a dresser draw?!? :O)

I got to know Johnny Coy from a few meetings with him, sat and talked racing for quite some time. The man could run circles around anyone at his old age, he was so full of life. He looked small in stature maybe from the years of being cramped up in midget, but his stories made him larger then life. I know part of movie was taken from his career with Mickey Rooney. Not all of it, but I heard part of his life made it in the movie. I guess from interviewing the drivers. Wish I got to interview Johnny before his passing, the man still had all his wits and details.

25. Bill Van Dyke

Bill Van Dyke

Manzy..couple of Tucson cars..[​IMG] anybody have any more Hank Arnold pics? Hank Arnold on the inside with Jerry Coons' dad, Jerry Sr. on the outside

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  26. Monday back breaking photos, or at least my back feels that way! lol
    [​IMG]
    Gober Sosebee
    [​IMG]
    Gober Sosebee on the beach
    [​IMG]
    Gomer Tayloe
    [​IMG]
    Goober Scheidel
    [​IMG]
    Gordon Harvey

27. [​IMG]
    Graeme Boila
    [​IMG]
    Greg Sacks
    [​IMG]
    Greg Sacks in a Chrome Horn friendly type modified. lol, Actually post this because Eddie Partridge just finished the rebuild on this car sometime ago. This was Sacks last ride before he went on to Cup racing and won in surprising fashion the Firecracker 400 at Daytona. He could have been a better hand if he kept his life clean.
    [​IMG]
    Stan Greger
    [​IMG]
    George Wagner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.