Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry1

Terry1

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  2. Say JBull, I meant to say, Thanks for those old Trenton Modified clips! And yes, I did love em.

You must have a heck of a time cutting up all those old programs. Pete knows he'd need his fingers realigned after I twisted the scissors out of his hands if he tried clipping pix from all our old programs! LOL Thanks for the additions.

3. JBull

JBull
    from NY

Sometimes I wish my Pop would have taken the scissors out of my hands too when I was a kid, but at least some of the images got preserved albeit a little scraggly. LOL

4. JBull

JBull
    from NY

Dr. John are you really sure this is a vega because I .....only kidding, only kidding! LOL

Thanks for the correction. No offense taken. I actually enjoy a lot of the banter about the different cars and drivers and the interesting facts and tidbits that come up. Never made it up to the upstate NY tracks (Lancaster, Spencer, Shangrai-La, Fulton, Utica Rome)when I was a kid in the 70's. Just read the racing papers from cover to cover each week. Did make it to Trenton and Pocono where I saw a lot of the stars. Purchased what I believe is your Lancaster Heroes book several years ago. Purchased two videos about Lancaster from the early 70's possibly from you also.

Did Dick Emerson ever run a valiant? No one on LI ran a valiant that I can recall. Geoff Bodine's was the coolest. I think Dutch Hoag #7 had one, Bryan Osgood #09 may have run one, maybe Dick Clark 16x or is that a barracuda I'm thinking about.

5. JBull

JBull
    from NY

6. JBull

JBull
    from NY

Some more CJ and LI mods

The caption says Bob Grazier #21 (I don't know why I was thinking Charlie Glazier), Gary Winters in the #380 and Charlie J

[​IMG]

Gary Winters #380 in "Monzilla" and Charlie J #1 in "Jaws"

[​IMG]

Charlie J at speed (Cliff Tyler on the outside)

[​IMG]

Tom Baldwin in the Meceika #18, Charlie J #1 and Artie Tappen #14

[​IMG]

Jim LaFontain in the My 3 Sons Gremlin, Frank Saladino in the #11 Mustang, Lew Hennessey in the #23 Ford Pinto, Jackie Reinhardt in the J6 javelin, Charlie J in the #1 vega and the nose of Danny McNamara in the #98 coupe

[​IMG]

7. Flyin'Brian12

Flyin'Brian12

The 28 and 82 are Seamon built cars. Sonney also built coupes for Richie Evans,among others. Sonney's coupes usually had part of the rear fenders, with a scoop in the front part.
    The association between Maynard and Sonney was partly because they both built cars, and also partied together.[​IMG]

Dick Emerson never had a Valiant.(right Dr.John?)

Durkin did buy Troyer's car(s) at the end of the season. In fact,he even bought one of Troyer's haulers. as pictured.

Hoag had a Valiant, but Lee Osborne drove,it eventually went to Lou Lazzaro. Later, Lou ran a Dodge Lancer.(couldn't tell it apart from a Valiant,w/o the chrome and taillights)
    Osgood ran Valiants,but were not the same model year as Bodine's and Hoag's. Osgood also ran a Dart body,was sold to George Kent, who wrecked it not too long after he bought it.
    Dick Clark ran a Barracuda,built by Hedger,that looked similiar to the famous Hemi-Cuda.

8. ejayg

ejayg

9. shamrock 3x

shamrock 3x

Flyin'Brian12,
    Now don't think I'm picking on you (lol), but just a couple of "corrections" regarding the Hoag Valiant....That was the car Dutch had for himself during the 1970 season. Ozzie did drive it at Langhorne that year, but Dutch drove it himself prior to that at the local tracks. Also pretty sure he drove it at the big race at Trenton that year too. Anyway, after Ozzie dumped the car at Langhorne, they sold it to Andy Romano. I don't think the car was even repaired before selling it either. Recollection is he paid @ $7,200 for it....in wrecked (although not too bad) condition. Romano did win a race or 3 with it too. As for Lazzaro's Valiant, I'm 99.9% sure that that was a different car (not the one Dutch had).

Now when are you going to stop by the house to see my model collection and check out my garage project?

10. Dr. John

Dr. John

"Did Dick Emerson ever run a valiant? No one on LI ran a valiant that I can recall. Geoff Bodine's was the coolest. I think Dutch Hoag #7 had one, Bryan Osgood #09 may have run one, maybe Dick Clark 16x or is that a barracuda I'm thinking about."

To the best of my knowledge, Emerson never had a Valiant. He had coupes, then the Falcon, then the Vega.

The only Valiant I can recall (from the Lancaster weekly "regulars" and not the invaders) was Bobby Krull in 1972. It didn't last long. He destroyed the body in a nasty flip in Turn 1. Came back later in the year with an orange Corvair.

11. Dr. John

Dr. John

By the way, Mark "Bones" Bourcier has been commissioned to write a book on the history of Utica-Rome Speedway. Not sure when it's coming out, but I am positive it will be loaded with great stories and photos. If you are not familiar with Mark, he wrote the Richie Evans biography, "RICHIE!" and also wrote for Speedway Scene (in the '80s), Trackside Magazine (in the '90s), Stock Car Racing Magazine (before it was sold and killed off) and Dick Berggren's Speedway Illustrated Magazine. Look for it at Coastal181's website.

12. Flyin'Brian12

Flyin'Brian12

Yeah,Bill, a little brain fade,on my part!Old age!
    I only saw the Valiant once,and I think it was at Lancaster??This pic was bought at Shangri-La,when they had "grab bag"photos,3 for a buck.[​IMG]
    And STOP PICKING ON ME!!!!lolFred Smith photo

13. [​IMG]
    baldwin
    [​IMG]
    hendrickson
    [​IMG]
    baldwin

14. geoff bodine
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Don't remember seeing this car for geoff
    [​IMG]
    lets get some info on this shot of geoff!

15. [​IMG]
    evans
    [​IMG]
    evans
    [​IMG]
    baldwin

16. bcengines

bcengines

George Kent had a Lancer or Valiant when he first started modifieds.I remember watching it at Fulton,I believe it was purple #26 and wasn't the fastest car he ever had.Don Krietz#69 and Kerry Schloder#K46 had dirt Valiants.

17. long island vic

long island vic

there was a valiant that ran freeport #20 blue with white letters, dont remember the driver

18. Flyin'Brian12

Flyin'Brian12

This was Geoff's Super Modified ride in 1972.It was a former Indy car.[​IMG]

19. Flyin'Brian12

Flyin'Brian12

Robbie Havens ran a #90 Valiant, painted similiar to Geoff's in 1972, at Evans Mills Speedway.

20. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

[​IMG]
    Don't remember seeing this car for geoff

I beleive that is the Alan Whipple car, I think he was from New Hampshire.

21. Terry1

Terry1

I do. Geoff had made the move down South. It didn't quite work out at the time. Alan Whipple had purchased one of Geoff's old cars. When the Thompson 300 came up, Geoff drove this car to the checkers. Richie Evans was closing in the final laps. For the last three laps, Geoff did everything he knew to keep Evans behind him. This was the only 300 I ever attended. And I think the best ever.

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  22. [​IMG]
    the famous win on the wall with bodine aftermath!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    tobias

23. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    any info........just thought it was cool

24. Flyin'Brian12

Flyin'Brian12

25. Flyin'Brian12

Flyin'Brian12

26. BillyTKidd

BillyTKidd

Can someone give the story behind this? It sounds interesting, but I'm not familiar with it.

27. BillyTKidd

BillyTKidd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.