Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfp711

jfp711

A bunch...lol....that I shot.....not a big deal.....just curious that the bullfather dude never had asked permision, which I would have given.....nice site...

2. George M.

George M.

3. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Nice finds George. Now, how about Hoffman with injection?

4. Dr. John

Dr. John

Richie Evans, July 1972. Photog unknown.
    [​IMG]

5. George M.

George M.

That's s great picture of Richie, John! Thanks for posting it!

6. George M.

George M.

7. neal78

neal78

Da Bugman--Great pics of your Dad's mod!!! I love the guys who may never have been "greats", but loved racing and did it. My brother Al has raced for 40 + years and to my knowledge, never won a race. But LOVES racing!! Thanks for the pics!!! Neal;)

8. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

What can you tell about "Eddie" next to the #61 ? Never knew of him in that car. Saw him in famous Red Pinto #2X, and Blue # 31?

9. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Flemke drove Richie's car on several ocassions. The @2 was the Judkins car, the blue 3 was the Lenny Boehler car which also driven, during its history, by Desarro and Stevens.

10. BKHRS

BKHRS

At one point in his career Richie Evans was banned by NASCAR, a few times they would pit the car in the parking lot with Richie staying outside, while Eddie drove it, also Eddie would race an Evans 61 at one track while Richie drove at another. Its mentioned in both books (Eddie's and Richie's) how close they where regarding race setups and racing.

Barry

11. George M.

George M.

Dick Ceravolo

[​IMG]

Not sure if you have heard about Dick Ceravolo's accident last Friday. He is on life support at Yale New Haven. Please keep Dickie and his family in your prayers.

Here is the article on the accident.

http://speedwaylinereport.com/Releases/AUG09/8-23-09DICK_C.htm

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12. allstarracing

allstarracing

Most of the time the cars were run with 2" rear and 3" front brake shoes automaticly creating a bias. Some mechanics would grind the rear shoes to adjust the bias. They would also use a hammer on the rear brake lines for adjustment. Same principle as the bias adjuster just not remote. Allstarracing

'

13. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Found this rare image on the 3 wide site; Charlie Jarzombek at Nazareth!

Attached Files:

14. George M.

George M.

I saw that one last night on 3 Wide. I guess that is Jarzombek. At first I thought it might be Rags Carter, but it does have N.Y. on it. Man, that's an old one!

15. George M.

George M.

Ed Flemke

[​IMG]

Note the injector stacks...I will find the Jim Hoffman 11 with injection...oh yes, I will!

16. Bullfrog31

Bullfrog31
    from Indiana

I have never seen any cars from Indiana in these pages. Here are a few of our cars from back in the late sixties at Rensellaer Raceway & Henry's Speedway.

Attached Files:

17. George M.

George M.

18. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Yeah, I thought it was Carter too.

19. George M.

George M.

"Steady Eddie" Flemke

[​IMG]

20. Dr. John

Dr. John

NJ's Jim Hoffman at Lancaster (NY) Speedway for an All Star Racing League event, 1971 or 1972 (1972 was the last year for the League at Lancaster). Gordon Reinig photo.
    [​IMG]

If you build models of old Modifieds, you might want to check these out. Mike at Fasig Graphics ([email protected]) did a sheet of late-'60s/early-'70s N.Y.S. sponsor decals in 1/25 scale. Now you can build many of the Genesee Beer cars and also the cars that raced in N.Y. and competed for Genesee Beer points. They are very good and he is just one of a handful of people who do the Modified decals correctly.
    [​IMG]

21. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

22. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

24. George M.

George M.

25. john56h

john56h

ATTENTION VINTAGE ENTHUSIASTS:

Orange County Fair Speedway and the Northeastern Vintage Dirt Modified Racing Club have announced that there will be a vintage modified race on Sunday October 18th in conjunction with the Eastern States 200.

Here's the schedule of events from the OCFS website:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=5 cellPadding=5 width=752 align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sunday October 18th[/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top>[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]48th ANNUAL EASTERN STATES WEEKEND[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]- Pit Gates / Grandstands Open 8:00 AM
    - ANNUAL PIT PARTY 9:00 AM
    - Hot Laps 11:00 AM
    - Pro Stock Heats
    - Modified Consi 1 & 2
    - Pro Stock Consi
    - Modified Consi 3 & 4
    - Vintage Modified Feature &#8211; 20 Laps
    - Eastern States Pro Stock Championship - 25 Laps
    - Driver Introductions for Eastern States Modified Championship
    - 48th Annual EASTERN STATES CHAMPIONSHIP - 200 LAPS 3:00 PM
    [/FONT]
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

OCFS website address:
    http://www.orangecountyfairspeedway.net/Schedule.htm

Keep in mind that the NVDMRC encourages participation from all vintage clubs. It would be great to see a few New Jersey and Pennsylvania cars, as well as upstate NY cars join in the fun. Even the pavement style cars would likely run well at Eastern States, as the track is normally very hard and smoothe for the Eastern States Weekend shows.

I do not have details regarding pit admittance, but as soon as I have that info, I will post it.

26. dirtmodcar31

dirtmodcar31

John,
    Glad to see you back again,I am sorry for what I said about all the crap that went on
    about your posts.I got caught up in the heat of the moment,as most did.You are a
    major race historian that should get credit for all your postings.The site needs your
    input and time posting your pics. And by the way I am not on drugs!!!!!
    Rod Nacewicz

27. dirtmodcar31

dirtmodcar31

Hey Jan,
    The year was 1978 and yes this was the previous year race at syracuse.Howie Cronce in the 9c got out of shape in turn 2 that started the massive pileup.Tighe Scott got airbourne and took off Wayne Reutimann 666 roof and roll cage.Luckly Wayne is about 5'6" or he would have been history.I saw Wayne and Buzzie at Middletown the next week and Wayne had two back eyes but had no other injuries from the Syracuse accident.He then went back to Florida and never raced modifieds
    again in the northeast.His son Wayne jr. was only two months old and he decided to
    go back to florida and be with his family and teach for a living.In 1997 I met Wayne Jr. and we did a sprint car deal thru the Tampa Bay allstar league.In 2001 Wayne Jr.
    came to New York to drive my modified at Utica Rome Speedway and Fulton. We didn't have much success but he grew on the learning curve.Wayne Jr. is now doing well in the spirit car racing series and may be doing a ASA program.The Reutimann family is probably the most awesome racing family in the sport today.The Ritter 666
    met nothing but disaster after Wayne's crash in 1978 where some of the crew were
    killed in the garage fire and ended the evil 666 tradition.I believe Wayne was track champion at Middletown in 1977 in that car. Thanks for listening.
    Regards;
    Rod Nacewicz

28. 34gasser-65AWB

34gasser-65AWB

Anybody have anything showing the #54 of Don Edmunds without the bodywork? I'm trying to work out the details of the torsionbar rear suspension and the rear of the frame/rollcage for a model. Was it a liveaxle with the suspension attached to the caliperbrackets or a more conventional quickchange with axlehousing tubes and the suspension attached to the housing? Any help would be great! Thanx.

29. This might help. :)

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.