Register now to get rid of these ads!

6 volt ground and mallory best coil....tech so watch it drop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zibo, Nov 23, 2003.

1. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

1st - I got a mallory BEST coil, from the 50's, made for a 6volt POSITIVE ground system, and the coil has a + and - plainly on it. the + stud has a small coily wire going around this ceramic top, to another covered stud.

1-If I want to hook this up to a negative ground 6volt system,
    should I switch the wires so the - goes to the distributor?
    (+pos should go to dist in the diagramed +ground system)

2-what is the difference, benefits or reasons, for a POSITIVE or NEGATIVE ground 6 volt setup?

thanks alot!!

travis aka zibo

2. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

Yep, just reverse the wires, remove that safety wire short.

Positive ground was thought to minimize battery terminal corrosion. Seems that none could agree on a standard until 12V came along and then everyone went negative.

BTW, if you ever get stuck for a 6V coil, use any 12V Mopar up into the late 80's. They are actually a 6V unit and use a resistor in 12V vehicles; strange company!

3. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

thanks 286merc- coming from you, that is all the info I needed. I am using a BOSCH vw coil right now and it works great?!
    what is that safety wire for?
    did you just wake up it's 5 a.m. out there?

thanks alot!!
    tp aka zibo

4. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

Got up early to go deep sea fishing with a bunch of rodder friends, that was 4AM my time! Weather and fishing were both great but Im beat; early to bed tonite.

They used to short the input so static electricity couldnt build up a charge and zap you. Or maybe it was cuz the insulation inside wasnt as good as it is today and a big static charge would puncture the windings. Ive heard both answers.
    Funny, I dont see that done any more.