Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 6 volt generators / regulators

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gene Boul, May 13, 2015.

1. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Hi gents...
    The latest in curves thrown at me by the "Car From Hell". Repaired the "bent" armature by replacing armature, front bearing, rear bushing, brushes and front mounting plate. Now it gets interesting: After it was warmed up and the new brushes started to seat the amp gauge / volts took off. I mean it pegged the gauge...holy shit what did I do wrong? re-checked all wiring attachments all good (for a change). Retrieved my trusty volt meter and i'm putting 10 volts + in my Optima, probably more but I took it back to idle to keep from throwing the lead out of my new armature. Well it turns out that my NEW regulator from NAPA is junk!!! I dug out my trusty NOS Echlin VR 400 from the shelf and installed... problem solved. Note: you might consider replacing your "new" offshore regulator with a 60 year old NOS...they are available.
    IMG_0787 6.jpg

Hotrodmyk and 302GMC like this.
  2. i have found this to be true with just about everything.
    maybe except woman......but then again........

3. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

They might be better...the offshore version that is!

4. tough finding a 60 nos one

5. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Bought a "brand new" Genuine Ford rebuilt in the box for a few bucks a couple of weeks ago--Ford rebuilt ribbon decal and all

6. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

I had no trouble finding a NOS VR 400 on EBAY. Maybe just lucky but try it! Regardless, the currently available NAPA (and others) electrical is junk. So far I've tried: horn relay, dimmer and regulator all FREAKING JUNK!

7. I don't particularly care for Asian women, anyone who can place their butt and feet flat on the ground at the same time has something wrong with them. :eek:

Don't care for Asian electrics either. if I was looking at a new voltage regulator I would want to get the cover off if it first to make sure that it was adjustable. I have had good luck with Mexican stuff though women and car parts. ;)