Register now to get rid of these ads!

6-71 help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigalow1, Dec 12, 2010.

1. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Be wary of trying to run E-85. It is so inconsistent. They change the mixture blend all the time. especially in colder months. If you tune for E-85 one day, the next time it won't be the same . Alcohol does does not fire when temps are cold, so they up the gas blend.

Ago

2. Big
    I haven't read every word of every post in depth but what Squirrel is getting at on the balancer is that the blower belt will effectively take the place of the damper. you won't need one.

yes to double key your crank you will need to pull it. A lot of them have been run on single keys and if you keep your blower under driven and everything properly torqued and aligned you should be able to run it that way. If you shear a key more often then not you will just need to replace it, think if the key like a fuse. Once in a blue moon the crank snout gets damaged and then you will need to pull the crank and have a new keyway cut. Its a judgment call I suppose.

On the carbs I would forget the power valves and run power valve delete. But I take a different approach to building and tuning that most, my advice on blower motors in general is way different then what most will tell you. I like my valve grinds different, blower specific cam shafts, forged bottom ends, methanol spray under boost, and etc. That said, Squirrel has made a life study of low boost motors, listen to him and you can't go wrong.

3. autometer sells a af gauge that heats up. its reading in just a few seconds. i also run a meth injector and it works great. i set it to turn on at 8lbs. of boost.

4. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

You can get away with the higher compression if you tune it carefully and use a boost retard box like an MSD or similar. I run mine on 89 pump gas on the street at 7 PSI and about 9.6 to 1 you have to remember most of the time it's not under boost. You just be conservative with your timing and tune and it can work fine. I have thousands and thousands of miles on my SBC with this set up. I'm sure there are some differences in what the 392 may like as compared to the SBC but I think its doable

5. with this engine being a hemi there are tons of old fuel parts out there. the fuel cranks come with double key ways. a good used billet crank is more than you will ever need. crank hubs and balancers are also readily available. i like to also o-ring the manifold. it saves 25-30 dollars every time you take off the blower.