Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 5x5 Swap questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The50, Sep 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. The50

The50

Hey everybody,
    Ive used this forum for most of my build and I'm hoping y'all can help me with yet another question. Ive got my 1950 Chevy pickup that I'm swapping a 5x5 rear end into. I know ill have to cut the coil spring mounts off for the leaf springs that are under it currently. What are some tips for the swap? ALSO the main reason for this post, what can I use as a donor to swap the front hubs to 5x5? Heeeeelp

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm thinking 51/54 Pontiac will work. you need backing plates as well as drums. The backing plates will probably have to be drilled for at least two new holes to bolt them to the spindles and expect to have to make some spacers to go between the backing plate and the spacers on those bolt holes.
    Outer wheel bearings will probably work but you may have to do some mixing and matching on the inners.
    According to Rock auto the wheel bearings are the same on The Chev 3100 andhttps://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...,1351213,brake+&+wheel+hub,wheel+bearing,1672 the pontiacs I mentioned.
    If you click on their blue part number it tells what all vehicles that part fits.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    Hnstray likes this.
  3. The50

The50

Awesome. I appreciate it man, Ill get to looking. Do you know if any other GM vehicles would work?