Register now to get rid of these ads!

5spd for a 58 chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bowtie56jw, Oct 18, 2010.

1. bowtie56jw

bowtie56jw

i have my 67 chevy van up for sale and when it sells im buying a 58 chevy biscayne 235 3on the tree, its staying a 235 with out a doubt but im think of going with a 5 speed, maybe. what 5 gear will bolt in? old girl is getting a split manifold if i can find one and dual porter's. she gonna sound saweeeet. any ideas on the trans fellers.
    thanks jeff

2. Kojack2

Kojack2

I put a T5 in my '55 chevy a few years back. I used one out of a mid 80s camaro with a 2.8 V6. I had to enlarge the bolt holes about 1/16" for the larger early chevy bellhousing bolts. The camaro mounts the tranny in a slightly rotated position so I had to heat and bend the shift lever to keep it from aiming too far over to the passenger side. BTW, the shifter sits too far back for a bench seat. You might be able to bend up a shift lever, kind of like Hurst used to do if you want to keep the bench. You'll also have to use the camaro clutch disc (finer splines) and have your driveshaft shortened. The T5s from the S10 pickups have the shifter mounted farther forward and the shifter straight up but I've heard that you have to shorten the input shaft on those. Your speedometer cable will hook up to the mid 80s tranny but the later T5s will only accept an electronic speedo.

3. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Try doing a search T5 tech