Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 59A Flathead 12V regulator and Starter Solenoid???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wideglide74, Jan 15, 2015.

1. I'm just buttoning up my 59A and getting it ready to fire, the last little pieces required are a 12V voltage regulator and a starter solenoid. My '39 generator was nicely rebuilt by Speedometer Service out of CO

Can anyone provide a part number and source for a good quality 12v regulator and starter solenoid for use with a starter button?

Thank You...

2. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

I bought a new old Ford style regulator & solenoid at a flea market. Nothing really special--not electronic. They seem to work well. The person that rebuilt my generator tested the regulator and set it with my generator. Wish I could remember the name - I powder coated the cover. Seemed pretty simple and inexpensive.

Pete

3. I run a later Ford pickup starter solenoid(late 80's) and mount the solenoid on the frame rail down low and leave a much cleaner looking firewall.

4. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

Wideglide,
    This is Rusty from Speedometer Service, glad to hear your getting her put together. You could get the regulator at NAPA Get the best one they offer, not cheap anywhere from $65.00 to $80.00 but the cheaper regulators will cause you nothing but trouble. The aftermarket regulator # is a VR-2161 or the Ford sales # is GR-268. You could also get one online but NAPA'S premium brand is a solid regulator.
    Good Luck
    Rusty

5. flthd31

flthd31

Are you using the original Ford push button with only one wire? If so, you need a 3 terminal isolated solenoid.
    Echlin ST 56 is one that fits the bill (NAPA pt# ECH ST56).

Here's quote from Bruce Lancaster from a FordBarn thread:

" NAPA book I have shows ST 56 as a direct 12V substitute that will work from original grounding butto with no fuss. It actually derives from a 12V early Ford one, the Bus solenoid.
    If you go to a late type that requires a hot wire instead of grounding, I believe you can get the 2 pole switch used on post 1952 Ford pickups, NAPA STB 10. I have not used this setup myself but have been told that this fits the dash hole for normal early Ford switch."

The entire thread is worth reading. It's here:
    http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18785

6. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The 12V one is the Echlin replacement for circa '46-48 buses, and references the Ford number. Downside is that it looks like crap, built in modern plastic case.
    Some grounded base 12 V ones still are shown as steel cased in the catalog I have, but I have NO idea whether pictures remain accurate. Plastic is in style.
    I look for 6v Ford isolated base ones at fleamarket, preferring the ones with pushbutton on bottom. Some will be dead when tested, some may have resistance from burned contacts, but many are good. They do not seem to mind working on 12 V...
    Tractor place that carries all the odd rajahs, Brillman, carries steel 12 V the LOOK like isolated base...not usefully labeled
    and if you find one that looks right but is grounded base (requires hot lead instead of ground) use the later pickup pushbutton.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

That's the standard '56-64 or so 12V, exactly what you need. Mounting, wiring, flashing, etc. exactly the same as Ford 6V.