Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '59 Thunderbird Radical Custom build.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Oct 22, 2013.

1. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ah thats better all the way around. Looking forward to seeing this one move along.

loudbang likes this.
  2. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  3. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

IMG_4918.JPG IMG_4919.JPG
    Huh. Finding the right seafoam and jade green colors wasn't hard.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

scotty t, Bowtie Coupe, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  4. I wondered if this project would ever come back to life. Perfect color choices!

5. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Thanks, I was kinda thinking maybe lime gold, but the Hirohata Merc colors are what lit the fire 13 years ago when I blew the car apart, so I guess I should stay with that. :cool:

6. Your first thought was right on the money.

7. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

IMG_4928.JPG IMG_4929.JPG
    Full skirt for those times when modesty is in order, mini skirt for going out in go-go boots and a rabbit fur jacket.

8. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

IMG_4930.JPG IMG_4931.JPG
    I spent all day finishing up the first go-round of blocking, and finding several spots that needed more work. I guess after 12 years there's no point in leaving things not perfect.

9. Loving the gaps.

rodncustomdreams and loudbang like this.
  10. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Thanks! I'm sure you appreciate the time spent getting them this tight. The bumpers now fit the same way, no small feat on a Squarebird...

11. Why did you decide not to mold the tips of the fins?

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  12. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Like I didn't do enough already? :rolleyes: Those little pieces are pot metal, they're pretty complicated shapes, beyond my metal working skill set to make and weld to the body, so they stay bolted to the body as they are.

13. Glad you're back on this Brian. Did you figure a way to add chrome effect to the bumpers in the end, or maybe some trim to divide the two tone paint that i assume you're going with?
    From what I've seen on youtube, getting chrome effect paint sprayed on seems to have come on a lot in recent years.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    loudbang likes this.
  14. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking good. I wondered about the parting lines on the skirts? Thanks for splaining the difference between the two.

loudbang likes this.
  15. loudbang

loudbang

OahuEli and rodncustomdreams like this.
  16. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I've, for now, decided that the two rear bumperettes and the little dagmars will get faux chrome. Like you, I'm learning more about this process and it does look like it's improved greatly. The rear bumper pan, and front bumper I'm going to paint body color. My grill has some light damage, enough that it won't be right for the car, I'm not sure what I'll do, maybe make a stainless mesh (you did some artwork with that), or stainless bars, horizontal like the original.
    As for trim at the color break, which is that sweeping character line in the fender and door, I have an idea for that, but I'm keeping it to myself for a bit until I try it.
    I'm happy to be working on it again.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  17. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

I kinda think I'd been better off welding the primary skit to the quarter panel, visually. It would make tire change a big challenge though, and it does have to function as a car.

18. I know they are pot metal. The builders in the 60's did make new sheet metal pieces and weld them on. I have seen my current body guy use the new body glue on things like that. He grinds a deep V, fills it with the glue, and grinds it smooth. The louver panel on my tailgate has no welds, it is 100% attached and molded with body glue. Been that way for almost 10 years. He molded the fenders on a '39 coupe with that stuff. The guy drives it on the street and flogs it on the strip. Not one crack anywhere. The stuff is amazing. You've done an amazing job on the Bird. Just trying to help you clean up all the details.

19. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Yep, 3M "PanelBond". It is good stuff. I use it for bonding rocker skins and quarter panels. I'm not sure about using it to bond the dissimilar metals, expansion rates and all, but that is a thought. Thanks.

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  20. 'Mo

'Mo

Bob K used "Fusor" to bond the tail light bezels on his great Chevy convert.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...e-49-52-chevrolet.483132/page-10#post-5407688

Like he sais, 107,000 miles, and no seams showing!

[​IMG]

loudbang, flynbrian48, Sancho and 2 others like this.
  21. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Sigh. Maybe I'm not done with bodywork...

22. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

23. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

24. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

IMG_0361.JPG IMG_0375.JPG IMG_0358.JPG
    Getting a little time in on the ‘bird. One more round of blocking, then wet sand and some color. At least the dash and door jambs before cold.

25. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Been waiting on some more action on this beauty... this one is going to be nice.

26. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

So, true to form for me, I've quit working on the 'bird because it's now to cold for me to (safely) paint in my shop with a wood stove for heat, so I put disk brakes on the '63 Riviera project. Sigh. Leaving the hood shut will hide the, ahem, non-traditional engine, and with the bags aired out and rocker panels setting on the ground, it's too low to see underneath. Winning. I want to get the T'birds dash painted at the very least so I can put that in and get the wiring finished up during the winter. 43629502_10218308707611711_3582211649253146624_n.jpg View attachment 4074955

27. Love seeing the progress. Six months after getting married, my wife and I followed a trail to a 60 that a friend told us about. Bought it got it running as a daily driver for her for several years, then life happened and the 'bird found another caretaker. It was an odd one....stick shift (yes, 3 on tree), leather interior, no radio, NO HEATER (a south Texas car), sun roof. Like I only have so much money and I don't need heat or a/c or a radio.
    Keep up the good work, pray for early spring.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

28. Just be ready.

It’s not even November yet, you will see a couple warm days, probably soon.

Walt
    Outsiders CC