Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 59 ford truck... was I off on the price?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TheTrailerGuy, Jun 26, 2011.

1. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

I went and looked at a 59 Ford F100 shortbox fleetside today. Looking for a summer project. Bent front fender, rusty, 6 cylinder 3 on the tree nearly every window broken or cracked... ruff. Guy was stuck at $850. I offered $500 cash... waved bills in the air to prove my intent.

He shrugged me off. What do you guys think? Was I hitting it too low? I went to take a photo and got attacked by wasps, or i would have sent evidence.

2. Big Bad Dad

Big Bad Dad

It sounds like the owner thought you were.................

3. zephyrV12

zephyrV12
    BANNED
    from pomona ca

LOL i was atttacked by wasps today also taking some parts out of a barn

4. 100% Matt

100% Matt

You offered scrap value....I dont think your too far off

5. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

sounds rough guess he was in love with it and wanted to watch it return to the earth

6. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

it did have a spare front clip in the bed... just as rusty as the current front clip and the clutch had EXPLODED in it, destroying the bellhousing. the kid was almost insulted that i didn't appreciate his classic, one of a kind, only every made one back then kind of ride. Frankly.... i am glad he didn't snag my $500 out of my hand.

7. gasheat

gasheat
    from Dallas

Can not speak on your specific situation but waving money in front of me would have made me step back. In my business I have people do that to me as if I have never seen cash before. I hate it when that happens.

8. belair

belair

you dodged a bullet.

9. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

I shouldn't say... 'waved cash around'... i simply pulled my money clip out and counted out $500 to prove that i had it. You had to see this kid. He was trying to fix his kitchen in this big old house. the yard was full of kiddy toys and weeds and construction junk...

I just wanted to make sure that the kid knew that i wasn't jerking him around. I hate those snide ass guys that say... I'll givvya $XXXXX and when i say yes, they tuck their nuts up and say... , "well, uh, I'll have to cash in a CD..." Yeah, right Tex.

10. I call it...The Barrett Jackson Effect.

11. Phucker

Phucker
    from Kansas

I wonder if you seen the price was $850 before you got there? Cause if you couldn't read the first time, I sure as hell wouldn't have bothered to repeat it to you to many more times.

You don't go into K-Mart, and try to bargain with them, dunno why people have to try when buying from other people.

As far as the price, I'd say $850 was fair, even without a motor, or glass, and some rust. Its a classic old truck, that would need some work. Doesn't mean you get it for free.

Maybe I'm a little sour about this lately, as Ive had too many people that know the price ahead of time, waste my time showing it, then try to bargain me down after the time wasted.

12. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

he did you a favor

13. Yessir, this man is COOOOORECT.

And the next time one of you comes into the dealership to buy his wife a new car, I don't want any guff - you pay sticker (like our poster) or GET OUT!!!

Frankly, I want to thank Phucker - he was the only sucker, er, CUSTOMER to pay sticker all last year.

Glad to see him passing out the right advice. Now, STOP BARGAINING!!! You're ruining the whole country!!!

That, and if you all would just pay what is being asked, we can shut down eBay in a WEEK!!!

Cosmo

14. Some owners (are delusional) see a similar model truck that was built nicely, and think that it is made of gold, regardless of condition. Example, in the Hi Desert here there was a 60 3/4 ton that was just cab on frame, sitting on two flats, sign in window was 2500 as is. the floor boards were so bad that you could stand on the ground inside the cab and it looked like someone used the roof for a trampoline.

It all comes down to what the owner expects and how far off your offer is.

15. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

Nope.. if that was the case, i wouldn't have been asking if i was off. Asking price is asking price.... i was referred by a guy down the street who said this kid had a truck for '$500 from what i hear'... exact quote. That guy went with me and when the kid said $850, my buddy said, "Whoah, Bob so and so said you were needing $500."

The kid shuffled his eyes, looked at my late model crew cab in the driveway and said, "No, he must've heard me wrong, it was $1,000, but I could go as low as $850."

ALL I WANTED TO KNOW WAS IF $500 was too low. The consensus here is that it was not. So, thanks.

16. Lowriders Art Gallery

Lowriders Art Gallery
    from Montana

I've had three people ask me about rough truck prices this week. My advice.
    1. start with scrap value - worth at least three hundred without any extras.
    2. has anything been rebuilt or replaced? What would that cost you?
    3. do you really like it? Is your gut saying this is the one?
    4. add it all up, then make an honest offer. If you are a low baller, you didn't deserve it. If you made a fair honest offer, and it wasn't accepted, then it wasn't meant to be. If the owner is out of line, eventually it will sell for a reasonable price. Unfortunately, it may be to the crusher.

17. 48 Chubby

48 Chubby
    Member Emeritus

Sad to say, but guy down the street asked me about buying his '65 C-10, and when he seemed sort of miffed by my offer I just out right asked him what he thought it was worth. He said, "well I paid $3,000 more than that for it, hoping to make a fair profit." I was nice about it, told him if he changed his mind we would talk about it more.
    From your description, $500 to $700 was fair.

18. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Current Old Cars Report Price Guide for a '59 Styleside in #6 condition (non-restorable parts car) is $870. So his asking price was in line with published values.

19. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

Ok, i saw that too, but that is like saying... the national house guide says a 3 bed, 2 bath house that needs a roof is worth $64,000. It all depends on the house, where it is, who has it and who wants it. In good ole Iowa here, you can buy a pretty decent house in small town for $40,000.. in LA, it's still going to be $400,000. All relative in the end to where you are.

I take any 'guide' with grain of salt.

20. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

It was rusty? You are lucky he did not accept. Better to start with a solid base then spend hours fixing rusty panels. My advice. Save your money and look for one in better shape. Saves headaches in the long run. Just the glass alone with new rubbers will set you back a pretty penny.

21. RichG

RichG

I just quoted this because I thought it was worth reading again.:p

22. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Seeing as how you don't have the truck... I'd say, yes, you were off a bit on the price.

23. selling ? i sold to cheap!

buying? it wasn't cheap enough!

get what you pay for , pay for what you get..........

you always remember the one that got away

there are lots of great, good ,bad,deals out there.....keep looking

24. Wait a month, if he still has it, offer $20 above the scrap metal price and he'll probably take it.

Bob

25. Fenders

Fenders

Which is why antiques dealers drive up to your house in a beat up piece of crap, dressed in their oldest clothes...

And when you pull money out of your pocket don't have anything larger than 20s, that wad of hundred dollar bills gives you away....

26. johnboy13

johnboy13

I don't know about that. If it's my truck and I need the money, hundreds in my hand spend alot better than 20's in your pocket.

27. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Ummm, YOU are the one who asked the question; I was trying to provide some assistance, which you asked for. Funny that you'll take advice from random individuals but not the OCPG, which is based on actual selling prices from various venues.

There's also no such thing as a national house guide since real estate is about location, location, location (plus houses are kinda hard to ship). But there are a number of collector car price guides out there, so there must be a market for them, grain of salt or not. That's because the collectible car market truly is global; cars are advertised, bought, sold, and shipped all over the world. Case in point, my '47 Ford coupe came out of Iowa. I found it on the internet, paid a price that seller and I agreed upon, and had it shipped to my door. And I didn't need to come here for reassurance on whether or not the price I offered was right or not, because I don't care what anyone else thinks. I'm not that insecure.

Since you already know everything, why do you come here to ask?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  28. You obviously haven't seen the TV ads running for KMart, or maybe it's WalMart, where they are telling you they will match lower prices just by asking!

And it certainly has become part of our culture to ALWAYS deal on used cars, whether from a dealer or a private person.

29. kcook

kcook
    from Ohio

59 f-100 292 HELP I am new to this need some help with the lower door pillers. I have just about every parts book I could find.(LLC,Macs,blueoval) any help would be great thank you

30. Hell hes nuts...i am being offered a 57 gmc short bus for 250 rite now...might have a 302...no title tho. i will take a look at it but have no place for it......i think a better one will come later on.....next time take a beater truck