Register now to get rid of these ads!

59' F100 2 speed?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by B-rice, Dec 15, 2013.

1. B-rice

B-rice
    from Sacramento

I'm new to the forum and have been doing the leg work to find a 57-59 F100 for my parts runner. I have found a very low mileage truck with a 292 and a two speed? But for whatever reason I cannot find info on that transmission. Anyone got any insight?

Also what's the best compromise with rear end gearing for freeway and in town driving. This will not be a stop light drag truck by any means.

Thanks for the help!

2. greaseyknight

greaseyknight
    from Burley WA

It probably has the two speed automatic called the "Ford O Matic". From what I've heard they work ok, but thats about it.

3. Yeah, 2 speed Fordomatic about equivalent to a powerglide of the era. Lousy transmission, especially in a pickup.

4. You realize a '60 f-100 is not much different than a 57-59? Welcome from Mendocino County

5. B-rice

B-rice
    from Sacramento

Ok thanks guys. So if I do acquire this truck, what would be the best bang for the upgrade? C4? Wait til it falls out the bottom then change it? I'm guessing a 2 speed means some tall gears in the rear end?

Sam123 yes I do realize the 60 is in that generation. That was my mistake on the post. On a side note I spent 4 years working for CAL FIRE in Mendocino county and loved every minute. I was stationed at Howard Forest in Willits. Totally miss the big trees!! I live in Sac.

6. squirrel

squirrel

might be a 3 speed trans with a two speed shifter? see if it has a cast iron or aluminum case, the iron is 3 speed, aluminum is two speed.

C4 won't bolt to a 292 easily.

7. I have a 59' with a 292, and a fella once told me that the 292 is incredibly rare for 59's that it was an option only engine. I have no clue whether this is true or not. nor have I ever heard of a ford-o-matic in a 57-60' ford truck. im sure they have them, it may be just a three on the tree that youre confused with. if you haven't already joined theres a FANTASTIC group for our trucks on facebook. they'll be able to tell you

8. squirrel

squirrel

My neighbor has a 57 truck that came with a V8 and automatic. Not sure if it was a 272 or 292 but it was an iron case automatic

9. Hotrod1959

Hotrod1959

10. squirrel

squirrel

If only it were easy to come up with an extra $635.00....

11. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I had a 55 F100 that was a factory y-block and Ford-o-matic. Put it in the bed for weight in the winter when the 350/350 went in under the hood. Best Ford truck I ever had after the upgrade!

12. 58custom

58custom

Helpful link:
    http://www.charlietranny.com/Fordomatic.htm

Watch out for marketing names which are used on more than one design. Fairlane was the name of two very different chassis. Most likely your trans is the 3 speed but two range cast iron FX trans. It's similar to the MX (with three ranges) and FMX (with three ranges).

The Fordomatic name was also used for a very small true two-speed trans used as a low-cost base trans staring in about '59 but it is different than the FX/MX/FMX/AUUUGH trans in that it is has an integral bell housing aluminum case. Check it out and take pix if you can because we like pix.

The trans in my '58 is an FX built by Art Carr. Hits second like the mighty hammer of Thor.

13. It can possibly be a fordomatic and if you are lucky it might be a cruisomatic. By the way....those are not lousy transmissions at all.