Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 59 el camino side trim insert question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chopt55bc, Apr 13, 2013.

1. chopt55bc

chopt55bc

I have a 59 el camino. all of the side trim has a light purplish/pink peel and stick insert. its very thin, and leaves no noticeable edge. my problem is the left rear 1/4 molding doesn't have it. is this how it was done or are the inserts usually painted on? if the peel and stick stuff is original, where would I get it? thanks.

2. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey;

AFAIK, any color in the trim, was painted. Never saw any peel n stick as OEM. I had a 59 BelAir, which had white painted in the middle portion of the side trim. Was an accent for the black body, & could've been painted red or some other contrasting color. When a fender got crunched, & NOS trim was aquired, it had no paint in it, so it got painted. I did install the NOS piece w/o paint, just to see how I liked it, but after a couple of weeks looking at it, I decided that there wasn't enough contrast. (Black lower/middle/top w/2-tone gray interior). FWIW: I always liked the 59 BelAir trim the best; as the Impala was too gaudy, & the Biscaine was a bit too plain.

Marcus...