Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 59 El Camino.. Build Pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Fishbeck, Jan 2, 2010.

1. I am gonna have to hit up Mike(our 57 chevy), to figure all this out. He works for Edison. I thank you guys for the info.. I needed some input, cos I am not an electrician.

2. Flatulus Antiquitus

Flatulus Antiquitus
    from SoCal

Yes, talk to your buddy first. I looked at the manual for your machine online and I can see why it is confusing. Looks like you can connect this machine to either three-phase or single-phase power. I'm pretty sure you don't have three-phase power at your house, so you would use the single-phase diagram on page 4-13. I am not as familiar with wire colors for three phase machinery, so hopefully your buddy can help sort out the connection for the white wire in this situation. Double the check the TIGs current requirements against your circuit breaker too.

Good luck!

3. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Tremendous progress.

4. Hahaha No, I don't have three phase. Oh-well, single stage is gonna have to do for now. I have no choice, but at least it's capable of three phase for future use.

5. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

The painted parts look nice jj , so how close are you too getting the body in paint ? As always keep up the great work.

6. Sanks.. This 59 reminds me of groundhog day.. Déjà vu, could definitely be a pliable name for this thing!

Cheers! It will be a while, cos I still have to make the 'other' fender, fit to the new rockers. Finish the doors, then the rest of the body work on the front end. Then the fit & finish stuff.. so I can block the whole thing one last time! I'm gonna have to call on a friend, to help getting the hood back on.

7. Pomona Swap Meet, this morning. Picked up some bed mldgs, but they have some 'extra' holes! Gives me something to weld up with the TIG.

[​IMG]

There was a row of Studebakers, I thought was cool

[​IMG]

I really liked this Ranchero, I'd drive it.. (after I trashed those fuckin' curb feelers)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. slammed

slammed

Damned straight on the Ranch!

9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Hey look!!!! It's Wilson from Home Improvement :D

10. Looks like Grandmas "only driven to the drags on Sunday" car. Doesn't look menacing to me! Lower that thing!

Hidden behind the phone, Instead of a fence! He has a cool shirt on though!

11. I finally got around to reading this thread. You are doing great work on the Elkie.

13. Color-sanded out all my imperfections & orange peel.

[​IMG]

Then with a little more elbow grease, a rag, and some rubbing compound.. I buffed it out. Arrow shows where I started

[​IMG]

Here the coves are still needing to be polished

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My first shiny dash! My Dad always fogged the dash tops in my cars, to cut down on the suns glare. I'm happy

[​IMG]

14. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Jay, I'm digging the color! It's looking great!

15. Thanks for that!
    I had the color matched to the naugahyde. It's the lightest of the greens, the interiors main color.

16. ricktard

ricktard
    from spokane

i had curb feelers on my lowrider bike

17. I don't know your life's timeline, so I'm left to assume this was recent? Hey to each their own.. Hahaha

18. The steering column pieces, need green paint. Forcing me to get it in gear, and swap out the manual shifting parts over to automatic. The arrow shows the automatic shift tube

[​IMG]

I asked Pops to give me a hand, a little guidance was in order.. The 58-60 columns are a bit different than the tri-5 stuff. It's a good feeling when you know almost everything about your car

[​IMG]

19. -Brent-

-Brent-

Man, this car has come a long long way.

20. I had a brief moment of joy earlier.. I was picturing the column painted, with the chrome shifter lever & the blinker arm. Did I say 'brief', because it was!

I'm gonna have to assemble the column in the Elco, because the rubber seal wouldn't or won't fit through the hole in the firewall. I had everything laid out in order, so I could put it all back together. But that's out the window and tomorrow's another day.

[​IMG]

I painted the steering column dark gray, an everything else is still primered. I will paint it all in the car, once it's all back together. I wanna cut the steering wheel down to 15.5", too. I am gonna need more green paint mixed up. I think I'm gonna get it in 2 stage, so I can spray clear, with green pearl on the wheel. That might be cool!

[​IMG]

21. I removed the third pedal, which came apart fairly easy. The brake pedal assy, is another story. You could push it down, an it wouldn't return.. The spring was having no luck, bringing it back! So I took it all apart, cleaned and clearanced the bushings and rod with 320 sandpaper. Repeated over & over, until everything was friendly. Painted it gray & threw a little black on the arm

[​IMG]

Now all this can go back in, then the column re-assembly beigins.. after lunch, that is.

22. So I got most most of the column put back together an installed

The shop manual called for Lubri-Plate.. an I knew I seen it around here, somewhere. So I dug it out and slathered it on

[​IMG]

I'll detail all this, before I'm done with the car. It's not so purdy right now, but it will be!

[​IMG]

Not much left to do, tomorrow(yeah - right!)

[​IMG]

23. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good work, keep it up.

24. qljiea784hl1

qljiea784hl1
    from usa

I love the '59 Chevies. Looks like a lot of work, but it'll be well worth it. Keep up the good work

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Thanks for that.. I can't stop now, it's that point of no return 'thing' I keep hearing about! Hahaha

26. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

I like the color on your dash, very cool.

27. Thanks, it reminds me of the greens that were popular in the 60's.

I'm stoked, everything's back together and works properly. I have a full understanding of the column now, feels good!

[​IMG]

A small piece of paper towel, is all took to help me out.. pushed the wrench in and whatta ya know - it worked! Had to share

28. Thanks, it reminds me of the greens that were popular in the 60's.

I'm stoked, everything's back together and works properly. I have a full understanding of the column now, feels good!

[​IMG]

A small piece of paper towel, is all took to help me out.. pushed the wrench in and whatta ya know - it worked! Had to share

[​IMG]

29. HF is out of stock on the tubing rollers.. can't wait, so I'm just gonna repair the wheel as is. I'll cut down the other wheel I have, at a later date.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This stuff is a pain to use. I see, wait I can see -what is that?! Oh yeah, there's a lot more sanding in my future

30. Just got back from Bill & Chris' hse (Our 57 Chevy) Bill helped me with the Miller TIGs power plug. The white neutral wire is the one not used. We plugged it in & turned it on, no warning or help messages.. so I'm stoked! It'll tell you if things are hooked up wrong.. wow

I did some body work on their 2dr 57 sedan, drivers qtr.. right behind the door. A little stretching and shrinking, was in order. Bill was brave enough to let me get in there and massage a little metal! Very cool, he had everything there that I needed to get things back into shape! Great people, good times. No pics, though.. we was busy!