Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 59 El Camino.. Build Pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Fishbeck, Jan 2, 2010.

1. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

is that the yard in fontana? i saw a 3/4 ton there

2. No, I was in Colton.. it had both doors on it, too! Boo

3. I'm back at it.. so I hear ya! Lots to be done, fer sure

4. Time consuming shtuff today.. got them brackets finished! I'll clean up them welds tomorrow(they nasty!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. So, since I treat this thread like my life's blog.. I wanted to let everyone know who might care, that I am now apart of the 'Road Runners Car Club'! Just got back from my 3rd meeting and was voted in! Only one person objected, but it is to be expected.. 'Kitchen' votes no on his on bills!

Tomorrow I will have updates on the 59! I promise

6. slammed

slammed

Tomorrow I will have updates on the 59! I promise[/QUOTE]
    [​IMG]

7. Toner283

Toner283

Hadn't had an update in a while, I was wondering if Cali had finally fallen into the ocean & made Nevada ocean front property. :D

Congrats on the CC induction.

8. speedfreek155

speedfreek155

wow ! That is awesome ! I just picked up a '59 Elky myself after years of wanting one . I may have to pick your brain on what to look out for , I haven't started on mine as of yet , I'm working on a game plan I am going to spend a lot of time examining this thread . Thanks for the great post !

9. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

WTF-You joined a club? Is that like a fraternity for wanna be go-fast guys? Congrats, if that's your sort of thing....;)

Jay, I just found this thread, and I'm speechless! The amount of detail you put into this is amazing!You're skills are outstanding-I wish I lived closer, so I could try and learn from you.

Hmmm, sure would be a wicked push truck.....

10. [​IMG][/QUOTE]

That's good shit there! The word of the day is "Dictate" Hey, Darla! How my dictate last night.. ?!

They're doing construction right behind me, at the college. I swear we had an earthquake, this morning! Ain't nothin', tho'.. I'm used to 'em!

Start a thread, I don't think anybody will mind another 59 episode! Any questions, just ask on this thread. Myself or somebody else will chime in, and the wealth will be spread! Congrats on the 59, too

WTF is right.. I agree, what did I get myself into! B)

This build is a great big learning process, for me. Lots to do, lots to learn!

I've thought about the push truck, thing.. but, spending so much time trying to eliminate the rust- it would bother me knowing I'm deliberately undoing all this work! These Elkys love to rust, all by themselves..

Well, back to the build.. more tonight

11. Finished up the baseplate, or whatever you wanna call it

[​IMG]

cut the majority of the holes with the plasma cutter, then used the circular file for the rest.

[​IMG]

Then melted everything together

[​IMG]
    they fit better than I thought

[​IMG]

Then I will loc-tite the bolts.. I've thought about drilling the bolts for a cotter pin. Then I would feel 100, it couldn't ever drop down, an off!

[​IMG]

12. The last of three pcs that still needed to be stripped..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now they're in the vinegar/molasses tub.. melting off the stubborn dark rust oxide!

[​IMG]

A little practice dressing the welds, where I had to replace the rusty thin section.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would like to use the shrinking disc, by tomorrow.. I need to set it up on a grinder around here. I need a support backing behind this disc, so I have to figure that out then, too. But it's beer thirty, right now..

13. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Looking good Jay!

So, since you joined the club, can we expect a LSR build, or you gonna just continue to hang around that Kitchen fella?:D

Oh, and a BIG welcome to the fraternity for wanna-be go fast guys!:cool:

14. Yes, there will be a build thread for the STR. Still gathering parts, an I have a lead on a Model A Rdstr body! I have a thread I started when I picked up the AA frame. I appreciate the welcome, an look forward to all the flop house fraternity has to offer! I get more flack for knowing Kitchen, but whatta-ya-gonna do! Thanks again!

15. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

16. A 400SBC, AFR heads, with an Enderle 8stack injector. I'd like to build an engine using the LS platform, in the future. Then put the inj'd 400sbc in my 55, once I've learned what they like, how it works(and doesn't work)

Here's a link to my frames episode, and where all this started!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438476&showall=1

17. I've been searching for a polisher/sander, lately. I think I'm going to have to pick one up online, cos there's nothing around here. The HF POS doesnt use the same up, I need for the shrinking disc. The backing disc I have, is warped on our old dinosaur buffer.. one thing after another

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. stlcrzn

stlcrzn

Cool project, used to have 2 of these. I also have a very nice set of taillight lenses, if your interested just send me a PM.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  19. slammed

slammed

20. Thanks.. I've never even ridden in 'one' of these, but that should be changing in the future. I have new lenses, I bought them a while ago. Appreciate it though!

21. I'm the same way...lost my Dad in April. While virtually all the tools are duplicates, they're not going anywhere.

Funny thing, I have my Dad's old Sioux buffer that he bought from our old auto body instructor. Nothing works better! Heavy as hell, but man it get's the job done.

P.S. This thread is the only thing that's keeping me from selling my '60 Elky. I have rusty pans & quarters, but every time I think that's too much rust, I pull up this thread...thanks, I think:eek:

22. jay7262

jay7262

23. I always say, just having the car is the biggest obstacle.. can't build what you don't have! Sorry for your loss, sounds like your Dad was a car guy also! Don't sell the 60.. oh no no, no!

Hahaha.. A man of few words, huh! I like your style, the picture says it all! Thanks, that's cool

So the first time I use the Eastwood slap file, it goes kah-poot! Do I even want a new one from them!? Fuck

[​IMG]

The 'NEW' backing pad isn't any better.. the shrinking disc still wobbles! I am not happy, going backwards! So this morning I sweated out the lead I applied. Then I went over the mig welds, using the gas torch and hammer welded them. Made it so much easier to work everything straight again

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't mind the practice, but I do need progress

24. Working out the gaps, around the t/gate

[​IMG]

This is the kinda work that is a lot easier with a helper

25. speedfreek155

speedfreek155

I do a lot of detailing , and I just picked up a Makita rotary to go with my Porter Cable D/A , the Makita is light , powerful and variable speed , so it suits many needs .

26. 51 mercules

51 mercules

JJ is your dad or uncle going to be at the veterans show next week?

27. I was going to buy a nice polisher, but I found this backing pad. It works on the HF polisher/grinder I have. I would've like to of had the shrinking disc sooner, but that's what this is all about

[​IMG]

28. I think so. They usually show up there.. Joe likes to watch the cars drive in! Be good to get my Dad out there, too

29. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Cool!I'll keep an eye out for them!