Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 59 El Camino.. Build Pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Fishbeck, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Scottrods2

Scottrods2

Yeah, I knew the clearance wasn't an issue, and was unaware of the RF remote control. Excellent! That and the philosophy of "what they don't see they don't want" is great thinking. I spent about 8 years doing custom stereo installation and management and did all the pop-up and hidden stuff. I was always more interested in the hidden stuff too. "The less can be seen, the more difficult to conceptualize the theft" was my verbiage, and means the same thing as the philosophy stated above.

I'm right there with you now for sure. Without my permission I know you would not know where to take this from her,.. but carry on.....;)

2. hemifarris

hemifarris

Less is more! JMO

3. Hahaha Thanks & welcome to the HAMB

I wish more people had that opinion!

4. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

I love that Lincoln, and the Wildcat is baddass!!

5. slammed

slammed

Killer pix of the show JJ! Nice selection, fer sure.

6. DirtyDan

DirtyDan

Coming together very nice. Aspen Green is my favorite color on a 59. I'm working on a 59 El Camino myself. If it wasnt already painted when I bought it, it would be painted Aspen Green. Cant wait for the finished product, It is giving me a bunch of ideas for mine.

7. I need to be more social when I go to a show.. otherwise I just end up taking pictures!

The interior paint is similar to aspen green. I picked out the material and took the swatch to have paint matched to the upholstery. Imma paint the exterior off-white.

Never too many pictures of 59 Elcos.. any pics of yours?

8. Yesterday was funny as I think about, funny as it happened actually. I had just adjusted & turned out the fluid control knob, on the spray gun. A little too far out.. I was shooting and then I watched it pop off. Instantly I looked, following where all the pieces went. So now the gun left a piss line of primer a 1/4 of the way across the roof. Yesterday felt like it was all back to basics, an I was on an episode of Leave It To Beaver. No mistakes, just experiences to learn from.

I got all the interior mldgs, metal prepped. Only one mlgd needed a lil straightening. I had two spots on the roof, I wasn't happy with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. My Viair 460 compressor showed up today. I ordered the pewter version, but it's been discontinued. Didn't need this chrome version.. you won't even see it!

[​IMG]

10. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

I thought they all came in chrome............I've never seen anything different. Btw I used to love leave it to beaver when I was a kid, it's like the story of my life........always a lesson to learn!!!

11. Yeah, it was p/n 46040 for the pewter compressor. Chrome retains heat, but I ain't gonna worry about it. I ain't gonna be playing with the switches all the time.

12. Earlier today I went to the post office to mail off a shirt to Big Al, in Australia.. an they are shut down. I used to be able to leave my windows down in the parking lot at this particular location. Amazing how 7 blocks up the street, at the other post office.. I have to dbl check everythings closed. Sign of the times

[​IMG]

Now I'm just waiting on the water/air separator, so I can figure out the fittings, how much line and misc stuff.

[​IMG]

This distribution block will be mounted and have the schrader valve, pressure switch and tank gauge in it. Plumbed in right between the separator and the tank.

[​IMG]

I found this picture of the wagon, that ended up with my old 'Crows Foot' Americans. The fronts are actually P.S Engineering Trans Ams, while the rears are authentic Torq Thrust D Spokes. I really liked those wheels! I remember how much time I had grinding and polishing them. But it ended up being a skill, I gladly added to my repertoire.

15x6.5" frt - I loved the offset, an I ran 165's up frt on the 57 wgn
    15x7.5" rr

[​IMG]

Who ever owns the wagon now, put that lic plt thing up front (cop should ticket that just for bad taste) and those effin' exh tips! EEeeewWW - Yucky! pic caption said it was at a carshow, up in Fresno,Ca.

13. The guide coat made it easy to see where the primer gun, pissed out primer the other day

[​IMG]

14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Spray Gun ? or was that from some roof top Boogie :eek: :D

15. Hahaha.. the roof top scenario would of been a lot more fun!

16. Metal prepped the mldgs, then used up the rest of that rustoleum on the backside. You won't see it..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tired of fucking with the high spot(s) I made relief cuts

[​IMG]

I'm still working on it tonight, but I had to make a run to the hardware store.. The drier showed up today, so I went to go pick up fittings!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My little blk girl!

[​IMG]

17. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

Ever try a shrinking disk? I love em, though rarely use mine. But when I do I'm glad I have it!

18. I want one, and need one!!! I ordered a new slap file today, also! My Dads is well used(worn out & smooth)! But I pulled out the stud gun and used the shrinker tip, to get the final results, that I'd be happy with..

[​IMG]

Had a little more shrinking to do.

[​IMG]
    cleaned it up, to see where i was at.. then used the vixen file to see I had more work ahead of me!

[​IMG]

For those just tuning in, someone stepped on the roof, the dash(speaker grille) and the middle of the hood- before I got it

Then I tinned it, ready for some lead slinging tomorrow!

[​IMG]

19. I'm learning a lot and getting a little more comfortable with each experience. Fun Fun!

[​IMG]

20. Went to Macs Springs for all the rest of the 'stuff' I need for the Air Ride Set Up. Too hot out.. especially when I know there's an A/C unit, just waiting to cool me down.

Laying out the components to see how things are going to fit together. It's all going to hang upside in the back. Using 1/2" line, throughout

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 is air press shut off switch( 110 on-145 off)
    2 is tank press sender
    3 schrader valve
    4 manual tank press gauge

[​IMG]

21. Some word play..

[​IMG]

22. Got a new slap file and shrinking discs, to work with. Wolfes Metal Fabrication made the discs. Look forward to using them, too hot out right now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Toner283

Toner283

Jay, is the little one a 4 inch or a 4 1/2 inch? I have a 7 inch one on my big grinder but a smaller one might be easier to handle in some spots.

You'll like the shrinking disc's. I wish that I had gotten mine years ago. I am still convinced that they are black magic, but they work awesome.

24. They're 4.5" & 9" discs. I can't wait to use it on the roof. Hit & heat the high spot, then mist with soapy water. Bump up the low spots & repeat until smooth. We'll see if I can't f**k this up!

25. Toner283

Toner283

guy that taught me showed me to have a bucket of cool (not cold) water and a chunk of old towel as a rag (holds lots of water). Heat the high spot and then quench with the rag soaked in water until it stops sizzling/steaming and then repeat if needed.

he also showed me to use a quick drying paint or something like machinists blue as a guide to see what I needed to shrink or bump. spray with blue, when it dries rub with either a wide flat file or sandpaper on a block, then shrink the shiny spots and bump the non shiny spots. repeat until the metal is flat.

good luck & post some pics of it in action.

26. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

The wolfes are the ones I have. I really like the big one, it is a breeze to work with. The small one however is not, the nut on my dewalt is taller than the disk is deep so I end up with gouges from the nut every time I try to use it, so I stopped tryin and problem solved!
    One tip, you don't have to run it till the metal changes color, just till it gets hot. If it starts turning blue you are on it too long. I know that's not what most people say but it's true! In my experience if you go till it turns blue you end up overshrinking and have to start over with the bumping!! I hit it until I just see the metal start to rise (you'll know what I mean when you try it out), then quench. I like the rag and bucket over the sqirt bottle just because it's faster.

27. mt94ss

mt94ss

JF, Can you post where you got them? I have tried the old torch & quench and just about ruined metal. I'm sure that I could use a set of those. Do they come with some instructions, like rpm to use, etc.?

Love my shirt. Wore it to Pomona a couple weeks ago.

Thanks,

Mike

p.s. never mind, I saw it at the top of your first post... http://www.wolfesmetalfabrication.com/

28. The vixen file also works, to show the high spots. Which will show up brighter and be very visible(no waiting) you can just hit it very lightly. An of course I will post pics, I have no life!

I will watch out for damage with the small one.. that's good advice. I usually use a sponge and bucket to quench it.. The WMF video on their site, showed dude using a spray bottle. Imma try it, like Mikey- see if I like it

They do come with instructions, but no info on rpm speed. Thanks again for picking up a shirt, Mike! We appreciate it

29. I seen this 67-72 Chev/GMC Truck Cab, with the doors.. sitting in the scrap yard! Bummer

[​IMG]

30. Today, I was cleaning up the rust outta the drip rails on my uncles 55 Chevy. He was gone so I hurried up and did it before he got back from the Veterans Hospital. I hate a fuckin foreman, or you can do it yourself!(cos' I know he's more than capable.) Then I got back to mating the air ride components to the baseplate. Which will be mounted, like an upside down ART Pod. That's the quickest way to explain it.. so today my whole way of thinking has been right side down, when it's turned how it's gonna sit- no wait the other way! One of those..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

'til the sun goes down!

[​IMG]

Looking at the picture below, I just figured out how I will be able separate the valve from the brkt w/o undoing every effin thing.. joy joy - fun fun!

[​IMG]