Register now to get rid of these ads!

'59 chev rearend qustion??????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FEDSLED, May 15, 2006.

1. FEDSLED

FEDSLED
    from lynnweed

I got a rear end out of a 59 el camino that is a 4.11 posi, it's a drop out style like a nine inch. Me being a ford guy don't have a clue what other years it will fit in. So my question is how many years did that style of rear end come in and are they worth anything????
    thanks
    FED

2. `55-`64 all used that syle. if it is really a 4.11 posi , it could be worth it to the right guy..is there a big P cast into the case?

3. squirrel

squirrel

A good 4.11 posi center section is worth some bucks....look on ebay for an idea.

The housing should fit 59-64 full size cars, maybe.

4. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Same as Corvette$$

5. FEDSLED

FEDSLED
    from lynnweed

Wher would the P be cast in it and what does it mean(P-posi?).
    FED

6. squirrel

squirrel

7. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

heck whats left of the el camino?????

8. Fed, like the rest said, it is the same rearend used from 55-64 in Chevy cars. The specific housing you have fits 59-64, 58 and earlier are leaf spring. The center section is the same for all.

That rearend has a 8.2 inch ring gear and is not real strong, they will break if you get a big engine and enough traction. The posi center is worth bucks, good find.

9. squirrel

squirrel

what he said...except one minor nitpick, 55-57 is leaf, 58 is the first coil spring but the upper arm is different than the 59-64s

My 61 is gonna be scary with the 427/muncie/4.88 posi 8.2" and old slicks

10. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Hey Squirrel, if you're going to run that stock drop-out rear, here's a couple tips you might like:
    Call Reider Racing in Michigan, and double check this application, but I think he told me the spiders from a Dana 44 are the same size, but 28-spline. They'll swap right into the original GM diff. I don't remember for sure if it's a Dana 44, but I do remember it's a common rear.
    Once you have 28-spline spiders, get a good set of Moser axles.
    Now that you have the axles upgraded, the next week link is the driver's side main cap. (again, I think it's the driver's side...it's late, I'm really tired, and I don't have my notes handy). Moroso used to sell a billet main cap. Lamar Walden in Doraville, GA told me he could machine a billet cap for me. Every now and then you'll see an old billet cap come up on Ebay. You should have the housing align-bored to the new cap...you wouldn't let an engine main cap be out of spec by a few thousandths, and you shouldn't let a dif main be out by that much either
    Once you've got decent aftermarket axles, 28-spline spiders and a billet cap, the rear end will be much stronger. Eaton is making new differentials for those housings now too. They don't have the 28-spline spiders, that I'm aware of.

-Brad

11. squirrel

squirrel

thanks for the tips! Oddly enough, I just got some aftermarket (stock spline) axles, a friend had one of those rears in his T bucket, and the housing was cracked and leaking oil. I got a gonga on the axles, they look identical to the stockers as far as dimensions. Aside from the 1/2" studs

12. squirrel, thanks for the clarification. All I knew for sure was that 59-64 was the same. That 28 spline axle gear conversion sounds like a good idea if one was really determined to use the old rear. We need someone to make new posi units for these.

13. SimonSez

SimonSez

Here is a good page with pictures of upgrades for these rears for use behind serious 409's ...

http://www.bruneauperformance.ca/409chevyracingposirearendparts.html

I believe there are 2 aftermarket Posi's available for those rears, Eaton and US Gear.

14. I may need it!

Let me know if you want to sell it!