Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '59 Apache gas pedal problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bertie59, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Bertie59

Bertie59

Hello,

does anyone know about replacement accelerator pedal installation for '59 Chevy Apache?
    Bought this https://www.ecklerstrucks.com/chevy-truck-gas-pedal-1958-1959.html
    few times ago and now after painting my truck just figured out that there is no holes in new replacement trans cover for the pedal....

But that's not the major problem. The big question mark is how this Eckler's pedal can be so tight from the "hinge" area?

Feels like there would be a piece of sheet metal down there, instead of hinge (old rotten one had a hinge inside as I remember correctly)?
    I'm scaring of that if I start engine and push pedal, the throttle leaves on.

Anyone installed this kind of aftermarket pedal? Surfed around the internet but didn't find any reviews of this pedal - should be "as original", sold everywhere....

But what is the idea of tightness and is the installation just "bolt on" with 2 screws to trans cover, or should there be a hinge?
    58 and 59 used this pedal, 55-57 had a hinge pin and a different construction.

If anyone has pics of original pedal assy and even better - an experience of these aftermarket/repro pedals I really appreciate!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Jdog1Woof

Jdog1Woof

I believe the throttle return on this setup is taken care of by the spring return on the carb itself (which on the Rochester b is the springs on top and bottom of the accelerator pump). In my setup there are no other throttle return springs. Is your concern that the hinge joint at the floor takes too much pressure to depress and sticks?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Just by looking at that pedal, I can see how it can jam. My dad removed the factory gas pedal years ago on my 59. He threaded the arm on the back to accept the starter pedal. He adjusted it a little lower, but it still has it's range of motion.

4. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Jdog1Woof and mgtstumpy like this.

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Black_Sheep likes this.
  6. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Here’s the picture B78448E6-AEE4-4324-B19D-31FA0BBDFE07.jpeg

mgtstumpy likes this.