Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 58 Ranch Wagon Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TKEBH964, Jul 16, 2011.

1. TKEBH964

TKEBH964
    from MO

Well this last weekend I picked me up a new project.

223 Straight six, 3 on the tree.

Drove it 15 hours home in 108 degree heat. Only issue was the generator went out, bought a couple batteries for insurance purposes at the local auto parts store and I was on my way.

After a couple of days of sitting at home, there were a few puddles under it. Pinion seal on the rear axle is leaking, and it looks like maybe the rear main seal on the engine. All in all, I am pretty happy with my new toy.

Plans are to simply make the car a good reliable driver. Drive it to work from time to time, take my family to local shows, and maybe see the inlaws occasionally in it (~6 hr road trip).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll do my best to keep this thread updated on progress.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  2. TKEBH964

TKEBH964
    from MO

Installing seat belts in the car this weekend, they came last night. I know most people wouldnt install seat belts first thing when they pick up a new project, but I have a 2 year old that wants to ride in the car. Per wife "he needs to be in his car seat when he rides in the car". Need seat belts to secure car seat.

3. Nice Family Ride, enjoy it!

4. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice! Only modification I would make right away would be to "unfake" the hood scoop. I can't stand fake scoops, even from the factory.

5. Cool!
    Wagons scream FUN!

6. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Looks great!! I picture in my head seeing it with skirts and Lancer caps. Neat car to drive and enjoy, have a ball.

7. Eastpunk

Eastpunk

Nice find! But I can't help but wonder what it would look like chopped. Hmm...
    [​IMG]

8. Mart

Mart

Nice family hauler there.

Mart.

9. 231ramona

231ramona

Great family car! Congratulations. I always install seat belts first thing in any old car I get. I had a 1957 Merc Colony Park that I drove for several years of college in the early 80's. Never failed to get me home and I took some long trips. Enjoy.

10. very nice longroof.

11. norm ricardo

norm ricardo

12. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Pretty bad IMHO

13. TKEBH964

TKEBH964
    from MO

Wow, can't believe the replies this thread has got in such a short period of time. Thanks to all for the compliments.

I am not going to chop it, that is way above my skill set. I am pretty happy with the way the car looks. I will most likely add aerostar springs and some lowering blocks in the not to distant future. As far as the hood scoop, I am going to start hunting for a 57 hood once I straighten a few things out.

The car has been a pretty good dependable driver, especially in this heat wave that we are in. It never fails to start, or even hesitate in firing up. Goes down the road pretty straight too.

Other plans for this weekend are general tune up type stuff - transmission fluid change, oil change, spark plug and wire change, check points, easy simple stuff. Hopefully I can get an alternator on the car too. Need to figure out a way to mount it though.

14. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Man thats clean. How many miles are on it?
    I scored a 57 that has 56K on it but its nowhere that nice.

15. Beautiful car,congratulations. HRP

16. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

When I was a kid, we had a '58 Country Sedan. My all-time favorite car growing up, mainly because of vacations in it with my parents, my four sisters and my brother. Looks like you got a nice one!

17. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The smooth 57 hood would be OK but if it were mine, I'd keep the 58 hood and just open up the scoop for a more aggressive look and a little fresh air.

18. von zipper

von zipper

Nice family cruiser!!!

19. sololobo

sololobo

Great score bro, don't see many Ranch Wagons and few 58's. Love that ride man it looks very very cool! Enjoy, yes I am a Ranch Wagon dude also. ~sololobo~

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  20. luvzccr

luvzccr

wow nice '58 man.. wish my fairlane was in good of shape as yours is! cant wait to see what you do with it

21. RancheroMan

RancheroMan

luggage rack and a full tank of gas.

make that pic with the kids B&W, and its 1958!

(crop out background cars).

i gotta thing for long roofs.

22. Nitcat

Nitcat

23. Gman0046

Gman0046

Nice looking 58, drive the wheels off it. I've had all kinds of old cars and trucks but having the most fun with the wagon in my avatar. Wagons Rule!

24. ratster

ratster

I like it!!! nice wagon

25. i say keep the 58 hood and put 57 front fenders & bumper/grille on it

26. TKEBH964

TKEBH964
    from MO

Thanks everyone. God really blessed me with this car. I had been looking for an old station wagon for about 2 years, and didn't want to settle on something. The ideal car needed to be running/driving, minimal rust, generally not a basket case, and within budget.

The pictures make the car look a little better than it is, but overall it is pretty straight. There is some minor surface rust in the drip rails, and some bubbling and cracking in the paint. Me thinks there may be some questionable body work under that seafoam green, but it looks good for now.

The odometer shows 93k miles, and I believe it to be fairly accurate due to the condition of the interior and engine bay.

Again, my goals for now are to make the car right mechanically/electrically and make it comfortable to drive. I will probably only have a couple saturdays a month to work on things for a while. A 2 year old and a newborn keep me pretty busy.

27. TKEBH964

TKEBH964
    from MO

My dad hooked me up with a free 100 amp 1 wire GM alternator. It looks odd being the only chrome thing under the hood, but I can't complain about the price! I used a variation of the write up on this page to make the bracket: http://www.ranchwagon.com/tech/alt/alt.htm

[​IMG]

Also got seat belts in this weekend, the smile on my 2 year old's face when he got to take his first ride made the entire day of working outside in the heat worth it.

Other achievements for the weekend include oil change and air filter change. Small stuff, but needed to get done. Hopefully next weekend I can change the spark plugs and wires out as well as check the points.

28. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

What a great little car you've got there, have a blast with it!

29. TKEBH964

TKEBH964
    from MO

Thank you, but I wouldn't exactly call the car little...

30. roll_low

roll_low
    from Rigby, Id

I dig! I am a sucker for wagons!!