Register now to get rid of these ads!

'58 GMC 270 six/tranny, what are they worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tikidiablo, Feb 5, 2005.

1. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

Hey guys, If anybody could help out and give me some idea, I'd really appreciate it. I am going to sell the stock 270 inline six and 3spd tranny from my '58 GMC truck, but honestly don't know what a fair price is for it. It does run by the way and I'll be replacing it with a 350/350 combo. Thanks.

2. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

TD its very dependent on the head you have.

Casting # 2136477 - Open Chamber and small (7/16") ports - requires pop-up pistons for compression, and performnce limited by the port size.

Casting # 2193417 - the "H" Head open chamber with large ports (1 3/4"), and is regarded as the best head for performance.

Casting # 2193983 - 302 heads, big ports, "D" chamber, and best installed on a 302 block

Casting # 2194819 - small port and small chamber - poor performance due to small ports and restrictive chamber.

A while ago I posted a WTB on the inliners site, looking for a 270 short motor, as I was offered a jimmy 12 port. A couple came in at $100 to $200.

I could ask a friend in LA what it is worth if you like.

Shit if I didn't quit my job yesterday I'd offer to buy it myself, and have a friend ship it to Australia with his stuff!!!

3. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

Hey Stovebolt,
    Thanks for the info. I am going to look at the casting numbers and see what I have here. I you could ask your buddy in L.A. that would be great(if not too much trouble) of you. Anybody else?

4. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

TikiD,

I spoke with friend in LA and he suggested you ask $300 for the combo. If the head is the "h" head, then its worth more.

Please refresh my memory, and tell me is the gearbox is a 3 speed saginaw and an open tailshaft model?

cheers