Register now to get rid of these ads!

'58 Corvette taillights for a Custom??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hans' Rod & Cycle, Jul 4, 2011.

1. I was thinking that the '58 taillight assemblies would look pretty nice with the pointy side up on the rear qtrs of a 49 and up Fleetline(following the contour of the sheetmetal)....but I dont recall ever really seeing the Corevette lights used in customs back in the day...is this due to the cost or not many in the junkyards or was it not kosher to put vette parts on a custom back then or??? just curious...I would like to use them but then again I really am trying to keep most of the parts a bit earlier 50s...but I think they could look smooth like butta....Hans

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I had them on my '52 Mercury. I loved them and had them wired so the parking lights shined form the bottom up and the stop light shined straight back.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

3. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Jeffrey - I have seen many 58-60 Vette taillights installed on all kinds of cars, but yours is first I've seen that way and it's just beautiful - not only did you do a good job on the modification, but it just looks right

dj

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Thanks Propwash I wish I could take credit but the my friend Mike installed them originally before I got the car. Here's another shot....

[​IMG]

5. Ditto on what Propwash said, they're perfect.

6. Which year is the taillight the same shape (IE it fits the same hole in the fender), but instead is coved and has a flat lens aiming back at the forward most part of it? I've seen those on at least one Fleetline. '56, '57 maybe.

Actually, back then the taillights would be much cheaper and buyable at the dealer; it's only in the last decade or two that early Corvette stuff has really become expensive.

7. I have seen several cars through out the years with them but Jeffrey's is the first that I have seen mounted that way also. Looks excellent, like they were designed for it.

8. aircap

aircap

I'm loving it!

9. Nice Jeffrey, that's exactly what I was thinking. They are fairly wide at the bottom, I wonder if it would look too modern to flush mount just the lense and center chrome. I know this was done back in the day as well, but I usually like the chrome surround as well. I might try to pick up a used lense and fab a mockup sheetmetal surround for it ...if anybody has an y other examples that would be great.

I really like the vertical instalation as it keeps the top of the quarter panel flowing correctly.

10. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

would never have thought about istalling them as they are on your car but it looks to work very well.

this started out as a mild custom in the 50's before being turned into a racer..

[​IMG]

same car, just its prior life. (wish we had a better picture of it)
    [​IMG]

11. Wow Boones, cool car. I think I might add a third brake light with those though! Are they fairly visible even if not much lense area visible from behind? My idea was to install just as Jeffrey's car, but I'm planning on reshaping the qtrs a hair so I could massage the sheetmetal to make them flow really well. As well I''m going to bring the bumper both forward and narrow it a hair to make it more flush with the body and can shape the top of the bumper curve to match the lense as well.....I really just wish I didnt have to have tail lights, they just fudup a good flowing panel no matter how perfect they are....hmmm, maybe bumperette lights...

12. Price some of those 58 light assemblies.you might change your mind...

13. yeah, they can be pricey...but if you watch you can get a nice set of originals in the 200 range...still expensive, but if it completes the car...worth every penny...but a bit expensive to try and then NOT use for sure..

14. Ball and Chain

Ball and Chain
    from Nor Cal

Not very good pics, but these are the only ones I had on my phone. My clubmates 50 fleeetline we did

Attached Files:

15. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Not exactly the same, but the same. 63 Corvette taillights on mine.
    [​IMG]

16. t-buckethead

t-buckethead
    from texas

i am also putting them in my 50. i paid 250 at swap meet.need new lenses

Attached Files:

• 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      142.9 KB
      Views:
    • 016.jpg
      016.jpg
      File size:
      192.3 KB
      Views:
    • 017.jpg
      017.jpg
      File size:
      173.6 KB
      Views:
  17. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

56-57 Corvette lights will also work. I have seen a late model Fleetline around town with 56 Chevy taillights mounted upside down.