Register now to get rid of these ads!

'57 Ranchero engine swap questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by floorjacks50, Aug 21, 2013.

1. floorjacks50

floorjacks50
    from napa

Hey all, I have a 1957 ranchero that I am running into some issues with. The engine is an Edsel 361 FE. Trans is a three speed top loader out of a mid 60's Mustang. The main issue I am having is the trans mount on the tail shaft. It plain don't line up.

Any info on the proper mount to use for the swap would be greatly appreciated!

2. mlagusis

mlagusis

I suggest getting a trans mount from a mid 60's Mustang that goes with the trans you have and combine that with the 57 Ranchero mount.

3. floorjacks50

floorjacks50
    from napa

thanks for the suggestion. i already have both mounts. can't use them both in unison, one or the other. i'm wondering if a crossmember swap might be in order?

4. Fire up the welder......

5. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

"From out of the distant past"... I seem to remember reversing the crossmember so the mount would be on the other side(front instead of rear, or vice versa), &/or rotating the rubber mount on the trans to get the holes closer (depending on what donor car the trans came out of) & sometimes making a 4-hole adapter plate for final allignment(We called it "Jerry-rigging" & somehow we managed to live long enough to figure out a better way later.)LOL?

6. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Another tool to fine tune the mounts: sometimes we were able to 'reverse' the engine mounts to gain or lose a small amount to align mounting holes(in addition to the rear crossmember relocations in the previous post) NOTE : These 'tricks' apply to all '57 -'60 Ford/Merc bodys; I seem to remember moving the rear(trans) mount by moving the crossmember & redrilling frame holes for mounting bolts in one application(no money to chop driveshaft, so moved engine/trans to fit DS; go figure?)

7. Make sure your motor mount is turned so the opening is facing to the rear as in the photo or you'll find other issues as you go. See photo. No you will not find a mount to directly bolt the Mustang trans to your stock trans mount (I've tried all stock trans mounts) . Rotating the cross member is totally out of the question. Just go look at it, it's self explaning. I use the stock 57 Ford trans mount and a piece of 3/16 plate and drill 4 holes. 2 for the stock 57 U bracket to bolt to and 2 that fit the tailshaft holes. Quick, Simple, No big deal. Also I've learned not all Ford FE bell housings are created equal. Also you need a 58-59 left bank exhaust manifold unless you are doing some kind of headers. Make sure you have the correct one for your "Car" not just the motor or you will have clutch issues.
    The Wizzard

Attached Files:

8. floorjacks50

floorjacks50
    from napa

thanks for the advice there fellas.

I have the mounts as pictured and there is no way in high hell the crossmember can be flipped. it's not a straight lined frame and angles in towards the front. i'm thinking i'll just make an adapter out of plate like pist-n-broke.

the left side manifold is newer than 58, has an accessible flange outlet, and clears the steering box so i'm thinking i'll be ok there.

seems it might be worth the time to find the stock transmission, as i have a 292 and bell housing. i'm just anxious to get the car rolling.

9. mlagusis

mlagusis

I understand why you would want to go with a y block but the 361 is a great engine.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I have a stock 3 spd sitting on the floor of the shop right now. Owner ran the 292 out of oil in his '57 Ranchero and wanted to replace it with a 351W and AOD. The 3 speed is yours if you pay the shipping (NW Minnesota).

11. One other thing to note is if the Mustang trans is a small-block version, the pilot shaft on the end of the input will be too long. The FE version was shorter, the long one will bottom in the crank. Cut about 1/4" off and you'll be fine....

12. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Get rid of that small Edsel mill and get a MEL.

13. 2racer

2racer

speedway and many others sell universal crossmebers that will work with that trans mount

14. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

Damn, We put a Toploader in my dads 57 and I cannot remember what we used, but it was a bolt-in. The 3 speed you are using should look identical to the toploader.
    Too bad you are so far away, dad has a 57 Ford 3 speed overdrive trans in the garage